Halogen oven... is it worth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polbishop25

Assistant Cook
I am thinking to switch to halogen oven and I wonder, if anyone has any experience with it? A few friends of mine, who brought one are very impressed with it and say that you can cook almost anything, but I still wonder. What do you think?

My brother uses his all the time. I have one, but I hardly ever use it...probably because I don't think to do so and it lives in the basement. I really should put that on my list of things to start doing in the fall when I start cooking heartier meals. Right now I'm competing with the rabbits in the garden for carrots, beets, lettuce, etc.

I am thinking to switch to halogen oven and I wonder, if anyone has any experience with it? A few friends of mine, who brought one are very impressed with it and say that you can cook almost anything, but I still wonder. What do you think?

What can't you cook in a gas or electric oven?

Do you mean one like this?

JML Energy Efficient Portable Halogen Oven | very.co.uk

(Just shown as an illustration)

Despite having a gas range cooker, which I wouldn't be without, I also have a tabletop halogen oven. I love it as you don't have to wait for the HO to heat up like you do with a conventional oven so cheaper to run and faster, it cooks and heats up almost everything (I haven't tried baking as I usually batch bake). I love it for roasting a chicken if I'm not using the big oven for other things and it's useful as an extra when you are feeding the five thousand. I wouldn't be without it

Three points to consider if buying one:-

1. Try and get one that has a replaceable halogen bulb (not all of them do)

2. Try and find one that has a hinged lid. The stands that come with the removable lids are a PITA.

3. Keep it out on the counter as if you keep it in a cupboard you'll never get it out and it's only useful if you use it.

The extended ring and the tongs are useful. Some makes of HO supply these as standard with the oven, others make you pay extra.

Last edited:
No, it works just fine. However, the halogen oven looks far easier to handle and use, so why not use it for any particular meals?

What makes you think it seems easier?

My microwave has a halogen light feature. I rarely use it because you have to use a metal plate inside instead of the glass one and it's a hassle to me to change them out.

Do you mean one like this?

JML Energy Efficient Portable Halogen Oven | very.co.uk

(Just shown as an illustration)

Despite having a gas range cooker, which I wouldn't be without, I also have a tabletop halogen oven. I love it as you don't have to wait for the HO to heat up like you do with a conventional oven so cheaper to run and faster, it cooks and heats up almost everything (I haven't tried baking as I usually batch bake). I love it for roasting a chicken if I'm not using the big oven for other things and it's useful as an extra when you are feeding the five thousand. I wouldn't be without it

Three points to consider if buying one:-

1. Try and get one that has a replaceable halogen bulb (not all of them do)

2. Try and find one that has a hinged lid. The stands that come with the removable lids are a PITA.

3. Keep it out on the counter as if you keep it in a cupboard you'll never get it out and it's only useful if you use it.

The extended ring and the tongs are useful. Some makes of HO supply these as standard with the oven, others make you pay extra.

Thank you, mate. I will consider your advice. I am looking for a good deal to buy a halo oven now. However I won't switch with my regular oven, but have them both instead.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom