High dollar convection toaster ovens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My current, only ever, toaster oven is one I retrieved from my mom's garage which I think we gave her for a present in the 1970's. It no longer heats evenly, broiler comes on when you least expect and it burns anything if you blink. It is useful for tuna melts and heating leftover pizza and that's about it.

I did look at a Breville TO once, guess I have selective memory about price ( and probably why I don't have one). I just looked on line. Consumer Reports gives Breville it's best rating ( 2011 article), the large size. I was surprised to find a consmer reports article as they more often than not list the report title, but expect you to subscribe or go to the library if you actually want to read it.

Well, it's on the back burner for now. At least it's on the list.

I bought my Cuisinart convection TO in March of '06. I can fit a standard loaf pan and 8x8 pan with ears in easily, even have a nice Polish pottery oval baking dish that works. I've done a full chicken, meatloaf, various casseroles including mac&cheese and scalloped potatoes, along with a few baked goods, all with great success. Except for that loaf of homemade, from-scratch bread. :ermm: Never thought it would go to such great heights. :ohmy: Ah well, the loaf had a crease down the middle... However, dummy-dummy me, I rarely remember the thing has a convection feature.

When I bought the TO, the BB&B price was $150. I used one of their ubiquitous coupons (I bought in-store, you can't use them online) to get $30 off. Just checked the BB&B website and the same but newer model is $120. The new one has the control panel on the side - mine is on the bottom. Maybe the interior measure is taller? Dunno...

Good luck shopping. I don't know about you, but every appliance purchase big or little is a major production for me every time! :LOL:

Perhaps I'm in the wrong discussion, but I've had this toaster oven for many, many years, maybe about 15. It's interior capacity is super. I can put two 9x5x3 loaf pans in it, or a brownie pan, and a good-sized casserole in it.

It toasts perfectly and bakes just about as good as my range oven. As for the rotisserie, I couldn't be happier. I've cooked whole 4-pound chickens on it and a pair of Cornish hens (not at the same time, of course) with no problem. In fact, Glenn regularly requests chicken on the "mary-go-round" as an entree.

Clean up isn't a problem, even with the worst spatter. Most of the components are removable and can either be hand washed or cleaned by a dishwasher. The interior? Just a good wipe-down with a soapy cloth and a follow-up with a clean damp rag is all is necessary to make it like new. I should take a picture and show what it looks like after constant use and all these years.

Purchase price...$35.00. I don't know what I'll do if it ever croaks.:ohmy::(

You must have misunderstood my OP.
This isn't a what do you need thread, but a thread on using toaster ovens in place of regular ovens.

I would love to have a convection oven, just a full size one. I would be concerned that the TO oven would leave a large burn on the counter top or the wall. How well are they insulated? I definitely don't trust my standard run of the mill toaster oven to not burn surrounding areas past just making toast. :angel:

Last edited:
I would love to have a convection oven, just a full size one. I would be concerned that the TO oven would leave a large burn on the counter top or the wall. How well are they insulated? I definitely don't trust my standard run of the mill toaster oven to not burn surrounding areas past just making toast. :angel:
Mine has been sitting on the same wooden Ikea shelf for almost 18 years, and I don't see a mark under it. Nothing behind it or to the sides ever got a mark or even very warm.

Great feedback.
And Sirloin, you're right, the dimensions on that oven are huge. Good point about being too big and taking to long to make toast.
Love the sounds of the rotisserie, Katie.

Decisions, decisions...

we call 'em mini ovens over here.swear by mine,use it most days & it's got a rotisserie that will take up to a 1-1.5kilo chicken & a couple of pretty good hob plates too.got it from argos,cost about £80($120)a couple of years ago.i put water in the drip tray in the bottom of the oven to reduce spatter but it's still a bugger to keep clean....told you i swear by it:ohmy:!!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 342
That's a nice looking unit. And it has knobs, which I prefer over soft touch buttons.

That's a nice looking unit. And it has knobs, which I prefer over soft touch buttons.
not as nice lookin' as it was mate!pic was taken when it was new...like i said "bugger to keep clean"but it's had some hammer over the last two years & it's gotta be good value at much less than £100.oh yeah,you have the option of fan assisted,conventional,top heat or bottom heat only as well as rotisserie in the oven....bargain:)!!

Well, I was tucked up in bed with my tablet last night, so didn't want to get dressed and go downstairs :LOL: ;)

This is the one I have: Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Toaster Oven with Convection Cooking: Kitchen & Dining

How do I know for sure? It looked like it in a Google search; when I went to the Amazon page, there's a note there that said "You purchased this item on November 17, 2012." :LOL:

I like it a lot. It works well and is easy to clean. It has two slots for the oven rack and recommends that you use the one in the center vertically for toasting and the lower one for baking and roasting; it leaves plenty of room above the food. It can also switch to warm after baking or roasting for a specific period of time, and it comes with a probe thermometer.

It's built so that a minimum distance is maintained between the back of the unit and the wall, so there's always ventilation space. There used to be problems older toaster ovens overheating, but those have long been resolved with better designs.

I think we don't get the hobs on top because it would take a long time for them to heat up with our 110 Volts as opposed to the European 220 Volts.

We have an Australian electric kettle. It's fast. Stirling's dad installed the right kind of 220 Volt plug in our stove.

Well it sounds like I can get every bit as good an oven without spending $250 on a Breville. I like the sounds of that!

Well it sounds like I can get every bit as good an oven without spending $250 on a Breville. I like the sounds of that!

Yup! Like we keep telling newbies, "Just Ask!" You certainly go a plethora of information to mull over. :angel:

Whelp, I pulled the trigger on the compact Breville.
I was all set to buy the larger one because several reviewers of the compace model had said they had wished they would have gone with the larger unit. And the compact is not convection, but then I got out my tape measure... Those extra 2" the larger one was would really be eating into where I like to keep the toaster oven.
So the compact it is.

I was all set to buy the larger one because several reviewers of the compace model had said they had wished they would have gone with the larger unit. And the compact is not convection, but then I got out my tape measure... Those extra 2" the larger one was would really be eating into where I like to keep the toaster oven.
So the compact it is.

Good for you. A new toy and a needed one. Enjoy it and we expect to see plenty of photos of all the good foods you can now bake.

For the first meal I would suggest a baked stuffed lobster. :angel:

lol, actually I want to finally bake my own brownies and have them come out.
The next best thing.

So the compact it is.

I thought the compact was the best because of size plus features. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom