I am buying a slow cooker!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) WOW! You can make great beef brisket,ribs,shredded beef and pork.My favorite is any kind of beans I made a butter bean soup the other day that had smoked ham hocks in it .YUMMY.
The possibilities are endless.

By now you likely have a slow cooker. I love them I just picked up one for a wedding present. I would say anyone looking for one should get a larger one and one with a timmer. the one I just got had 2 highs and 2 low temps and has a timmer. I am thinking I will get one of these next. this way you can turn it off after 8 hours even if you know you might not be home for 10 hours. I often go out for 4 hours and end up comming home late at night. The one I got was also 6qts. I would likely get 4qt if I could get one with a timmer. IF you got one all ready I sure hope your using it. they are sure great ot have and big time savers.

I bought a large one that has a timer and 2 heat settings. I wanted one which would turn itself off and it only cost $10 more than the one without the timer. Dad got the same one and loves it too. I am a big fan of them now and like trying out new recipes.

ArticKatt, A crock pot is my favorite wedding gift to get for someone. I guess because I know how valuable they are. Sometimes I will hear people say. I have had a crock pot for years and never have used it. Perhaps they just do not know how great they are to use. If they would ever get started I know they would wonder what took them so long. I do not have one with the timer. That does sound like a wonderful idea.

if someone said that to me about never having used thier crock pot I would find a cookbook for them or at the least print off a few recipes from the internet and put them in a folder for them. I think a lot of people have them and are just not sure what to do with them. You can do all kinds of stuff and there is no stew that is not better from having been cooked in a slow cooker.

I'm pre-cooking pork ribs, that will later be put on the barbicue, in mine right now.

My only problem with the crock pot, the handles on the heating unit are too flimsy. I broke a perfectly good crock pot when the carrying handle broke, and the whole thing dumped a batch of chicken soup onto my living room carpet. the ceramic insert shattered on the floor. I had made the soup for a pot-luck. I wasn't happy. That one was made by Rival.

I now have a G.E. slow cooker. And the handle has broken on that one too, but I was careful with it and didn't spill anything. I still use it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GB said:
There is one Crock Pot here that has a cool feature, but I doubt you will find this in any others (and of course it is a Rival which you don't have there). The Crock of this particular model can go from stove top to crock pot so you can brown your meat in the same cooking vessel instead of having to brown in one and then move it to the crock pot. Short of that, I like that on mine I can set it to cook on high or low for a particular amount of time (in 30 minute increments) and once it hits that time it switches to a warming mode.

Can you make it switch in both directions, high to low as well as low to high, for instance?

jkath;

I've never seen a cake recipe done in a slow cooker. I suppose one could do a quick bread in it too?

Thanks for a new idea, for me...

Dove said:
We like to put a whole chicken in the CP, top it with butter pats and crush dry Basil over the top. When the chicken is done, remove the broth and if needed add more water and cook rice in the broth (in another pot)

Dove

This is pretty much what we do most of the time. I put the bones and skin back in the broth and let it simmer all day, or the next day usually, as we usually have the original chicken the night before. It works out fine...

Goodweed of the North said:
I'm pre-cooking pork ribs, that will later be put on the barbicue, in mine right now.

My only problem with the crock pot, the handles on the heating unit are too flimsy. I broke a perfectly good crock pot when the carrying handle broke, and the whole thing dumped a batch of chicken soup onto my living room carpet. the ceramic insert shattered on the floor. I had made the soup for a pot-luck. I wasn't happy. That one was made by Rival.

I now have a G.E. slow cooker. And the handle has broken on that one too, but I was careful with it and didn't spill anything. I still use it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I had the same problem with my last Rival CP, but I have one of the newer models. I don't carry it around in the heating unit when it's full though. I take out the crock...

I also have a G.E. They are very relaible and addicting. I have not heard of making a cake in one. But, I have seen a cobbler made. I keep mine on the countertop. I use it at least once-twice a week. It is good for boiling chickens
I have been known to put frozen chicken or pieces in mine. I arrive home from work, hours later, to a seasoned de-boned chicken... and ready to use.

Quizzie said:
I also have a G.E. They are very relaible and addicting. I have not heard of making a cake in one. But, I have seen a cobbler made. I keep mine on the countertop. I use it at least once-twice a week. It is good for boiling chickens
I have been known to put frozen chicken or pieces in mine. I arrive home from work, hours later, to a seasoned de-boned chicken... and ready to use.

I found rice pudding recipes that I love. they are easy to make in the crock pot and you come home to a nice smell in the house and a great treat. Hummmm I think its time I did some more rice pudding before the crockpot moves away and I have to buy my own.

ArticKatt said:
I found rice pudding recipes that I love. they are easy to make in the crock pot and you come home to a nice smell in the house and a great treat. Hummmm I think its time I did some more rice pudding before the crockpot moves away and I have to buy my own.

I like to make tapioca pudding in mine. It's a snap!

Oh, I've had one for years.

When Rival first introduced them back in the mid to late '70's, I bought one of theirs. It's great for slow cooking tough fiberous pot roasts and tough cuts on meat to tender juicy perfection!! Great for soups and stews as well!!:chef:

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
Oh, I've had one for years.

When Rival first introduced then back in the mid to late '70's, I bought one of theirs. It's great for slow cooking though fiberous pot roasts and though cuts on meat to tender juicy perfection!! Great for soups and stews as well!!:chef:

As far as flesh goes, I only eat chicken, fish and sea food. I have never really liked red meat. Hamburger or minced is ok, but you don't need a slow cooker for that. It's been 15 years since I've had an beef. But, back to the slow cooker, it really does a great job on chicken too, as well as making soups - vegie, been, chicken and rice and the like...

Almost forgot. This is one of my fav' recipies for the crock.

Crock Pot "Ghee"
or
Clairified butter​

In a 4 qt crock pot add four pounds of unsalted butter. Turn on medium. Let cook for about 12 to 14 hours. Strain out the solids, and retain the nice golden yellow liquid. We us it, almost exclusively in place of butter.

BrianMorin said:
jkath;

I've never seen a cake recipe done in a slow cooker. I suppose one could do a quick bread in it too?

Thanks for a new idea, for me...

Neither have I and I don't think I'd want to try that. I don't think it would come out right.:ermm:

~Corey123.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom