I want to purchase a new food processor!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got 3 (A really big one for the real tasks, a medium sized one, and a miniature one). The big one is my favorite. It's called a "Big Mouth" from Hamilton Beach. I usually wouldn't recommend an HB product since they aren't made all that great, but I love the design of it. You can stick whole veggies down it, no problem.

The medium sized one is a Cuisinart. I'm not really all that big on it, but it does the trick. And the smallest one is a Kitchenaid. It does what it's supposed to do--which isn't a whole heck of a lot given its size but it carries me through.

Poppinfresh said:
I've got 3 (A really big one for the real tasks, a medium sized one, and a miniature one). The big one is my favorite. It's called a "Big Mouth" from Hamilton Beach. I usually wouldn't recommend an HB product since they aren't made all that great, but I love the design of it. You can stick whole veggies down it, no problem.

The medium sized one is a Cuisinart. I'm not really all that big on it, but it does the trick. And the smallest one is a Kitchenaid. It does what it's supposed to do--which isn't a whole heck of a lot given its size but it carries me through.

Nothing against you at all, Poppinfresh, nor am I wishing any bad luck against you in any way, but the woman in the TV commercial proudly BOAST about the supposedly big motor in this machine having 450 watts. That's the size of the motor that's in my Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000 Stand Mixer.

Also, the ad claims that you don't need a knife at all to cut the fruits and veggies down to size before putting them in the wide feed tube.

Hmm, but I beg to differ - since a knife is STILL needed to help get the skin off an onion, or the seeds and cores out of the bell peppers, or even to peel things like kiwi, cheese in the rind, etc..:ermm:

My K'Aid machine and the K'Aid model just below it can easily handle the jobs of those three that you own. because they both have three bowls in different sizes that can be used independantly of each other.

The regular large work bowl is for big jobs like chopping, slicing and shredding, the Chefs' bowl is about medium size for slicing and shredding and the Mini Bowl which comes with its own little chopping blade, is used for chopping small stuff like garlic cloves and herbs.

The way that it's set up is that the two smaller bowls fit right into the large 16-cup work bowl.

Again, not trying to put you down at all, but I think that my philosophy is, why have three machines to do the work of one very big heavy duty powerful monster?:chef:

Last edited:
Well, by not made well, I mean the guts of it--the little pieces. If you ever take a Hamilton Beach product apart, you'll see they use plastic screws and fittings, pot metal, etc.

Whereas a good Kitchenaid product will use metal screws and fittings and gauge metal. The durability of a Hamilton Beach is just lacking.

As for one machine to do the work of 3...in drills I agree. In kitchenware? Not so much. I'm the type of person that when I cook, I cook. I don't want to have to wash a food processor bowl 3 times. There are commercials for it? I found mine at Fred Meyer last Thanksgiving when I couldn't find the lid attachment for my old processor (lost it in a move, apparently).

Last edited:
I love my KA 11C with the smaller bowl feature for herbs and small jobs. Does everything I need done. A couple of years ago Fine Cooking did a comparison of FPs and it was the "favorite". But they also recommended a Black and Decker model for an economy FP--it was about $40.

Poppinfresh said:
Well, by not made well, I mean the guts of it--the little pieces. If you ever take a Hamilton Beach product apart, you'll see they use plastic screws and fittings, pot metal, etc.

Whereas a good Kitchenaid product will use metal screws and fittings and gauge metal. The durability of a Hamilton Beach is just lacking.

As for one machine to do the work of 3...in drills I agree. In kitchenware? Not so much. I'm the type of person that when I cook, I cook. I don't want to have to wash a food processor bowl 3 times. There are commercials for it? I found mine at Fred Meyer last Thanksgiving when I couldn't find the lid attachment for my old processor (lost it in a move, apparently).

Yes, you can very easily lose stuff during a move! It's happened to me a lot, and it's aggravating.

And yes, you're right about Hamilton Beach. I once had an HB stand mixer many years ago. The thing lasted only about a year, as the cheap flimsy plastic gears for the rotary beaters broke!

However, I DO have a waffle baker made by them. As for you not wanting to have to wash a FP'S work bowl three times, that is the same philosophy behind me having more than one bowl for both of my K'Aid Stand Mixers and my Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000, so great minds think alike on that one, hey?

Truth is, I love to own and use big powerful monster mixers and FP's that come with giant work bowls - and more than one at that!! You DO get more done in less time.:chef:

Last edited:
Heh!

You kept mentioning these food processors that had multiple bowls, and it got my curiosity picqued (I had never heard of such a thing). So I ran down to Macy's today and...boom, there it was.

Now I've got 4 food processors :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one did you get?!!

Wait, let me guess. It HAS to be a K'Aid, because they're the only ones that Macy's sells that come with multiple bowls!!

Hopfully you got the one that has the wide-mouth feed tube.

Didn't mean to turn you away form the Big Mouth, but you'll discover that it's a good thing, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it!!

Katie E said:
After the discussion about the newer crock-pots, I wonder what has happened to other appliances. Has quality been sacrificed, etc.? I still have my almost 30-year-old Cuisinart and am nearing the time to replace it. I really don't want to, but it's showing it's age and I think I should start doing my homework on what's out there. I'll be very interested to see what turns up on this thread. Keep talkin' everyone. I'm all ears.

Side Note - Katie E - Mine is also almost 30 years old - before I EVER start thinking about buying a new one I will buy a new thingy - you know - what you put the food in when you want to chop it! lol geez, I've lost my mind!!!!! Mine is also a Cuisinart. I bought my friend a Cuisinart a few years ago and it works great!!!!!

If, however, I were going to buy one now and money being no object, I'd seriously consider this.

Edited to say - no matter what you get just do a little homework, like you are here. Pick it up - it should be fairly heavy. A 7-cup will do nicely. If you cook for crowds think about an 11-cup. You will love whatever you get. If you go to Sam's or someplace similar you can get a fairly good deal and that product will last you long enough to get your money out of it I feel sure!!!!!

One thing - store all your blades OUT of your processor. My friend kept her metal blade in there and moved it jarring the blade loose. It was lodged in such a way that the lid wouldn't open - she had to work REALLY hard but finally got it open. Just keep all your blades in the holder!

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
...If, however, I were going to buy one now and money being no object, I'd seriously consider this...

WOW, elf, that's a winner. I'll bet that's one of the best available! It seems to have all the extras and does everything. ...and only $495.

kitchenelf said:
If, however, I were going to buy one now and money being no object, I'd seriously consider this.

Just wanted to chime in to say that Williams Sonoma (at least the main one here in San Francisco) is carrying the Magimix as well. The 3100/4100/5100 series has been replaced with the 3200/4200/5200 series and they're pretty amazing (all have received a power increase, stronger bowls, better lids etc.). I picked up a 4200xl (has a larger feeding tube) for $350 at WS. They don't appear to have it on their online store though. The 4200 has been upgraded to the same power as the 5100 in the link above (950 Watts) but with a slightly lower capacity on the largest bowl than the 5100. It's something like 14 cups vs 16 cups. Both models include the two additional bowls that nest inside the larger capacity bowl. It's easily the most solid feeling, quiet processor I've ever owned. The Sabatier blades are amazing. If anyone's looking to get a new processor...I would recommend this one. There probably isn't any reason to pay $499 for the 5100 in the link above when the same power can be had for much less at WS and includes the upgraded bowls and design (buttons across front as opposed to on the right for easier left handed use). I also have a Kitchenaid which in all fairness has been very good to me. But how could I say no to a Robot Coupe in my very own kitchen? ;)
Nico

kitchenelf said:
Side Note - Katie E - Mine is also almost 30 years old - before I EVER start thinking about buying a new one I will buy a new thingy - you know - what you put the food in when you want to chop it! lol geez, I've lost my mind!!!!! Mine is also a Cuisinart. I bought my friend a Cuisinart a few years ago and it works great!!!!!

Edited to say - no matter what you get just do a little homework, like you are here. Pick it up - it should be fairly heavy. A 7-cup will do nicely. If you cook for crowds think about an 11-cup. You will love whatever you get. If you go to Sam's or someplace similar you can get a fairly good deal and that product will last you long enough to get your money out of it I feel sure!!!!!

One thing - store all your blades OUT of your processor. My friend kept her metal blade in there and moved it jarring the blade loose. It was lodged in such a way that the lid wouldn't open - she had to work REALLY hard but finally got it open. Just keep all your blades in the holder!

Kitchenelf,

I saw that one (Magimix) on Chefs' website and it there catalog, and even though it seems big and powerful, and I'm sorry to say this, but it's no match for the K'Aid KFPF850PM, which is the own that I own.

The motor in that one has only about 650 watts, whereas the K'Aid KFPF850PM has a very powerful and robust 1000-watt motor under the hood.

Like you said, if you had the money and could afford it, you'd go with that one.

Hmph! If you're going to buy that one, then you might as well go with the K'Aid KFPF850PM because it's $50.00 cheaper, and if you get it from Cooking.com, you can even eliminate the shipping charge by putting in the special code number there!

I love the K'Aid KFPF850PM, and I won't settle for anything less!!

Michael Chiarello, BTW, has a cooking show on the Food Network.

Last edited:
carbon_made said:
Just wanted to chime in to say that Williams Sonoma (at least the main one here in San Francisco) is carrying the Magimix as well. The 3100/4100/5100 series has been replaced with the 3200/4200/5200 series and they're pretty amazing (all have received a power increase, stronger bowls, better lids etc.). I picked up a 4200xl (has a larger feeding tube) for $350 at WS. They don't appear to have it on their online store though. The 4200 has been upgraded to the same power as the 5100 in the link above (950 Watts) but with a slightly lower capacity on the largest bowl than the 5100. It's something like 14 cups vs 16 cups. Both models include the two additional bowls that nest inside the larger capacity bowl. It's easily the most solid feeling, quiet processor I've ever owned. The Sabatier blades are amazing. If anyone's looking to get a new processor...I would recommend this one. There probably isn't any reason to pay $499 for the 5100 in the link above when the same power can be had for much less at WS and includes the upgraded bowls and design (buttons across front as opposed to on the right for easier left handed use). I also have a Kitchenaid which in all fairness has been very good to me. But how could I say no to a Robot Coupe in my very own kitchen? ;)
Nico

I probably would have gotten that one if I didn't have the K'Aid KFPF850PM, but I bought it in July before this one was introduced, and I like my FP anyway, so I'm quite happy with it and I'm not letting it go.

I don't know how the innards are put together in all these different FPs. I have a KA that does all I ask of it. But wattage may or may not translate to turning power if the motor is not mounted directly under the blade.
In the original designs of FPs it was that feature that made the Robot-Coupe (original Cuisinart, as I remember) the "best". The alternative was a cheaper Farberware where the motor was to the side and connected to the blade via a belt assembly. At that time--40 years ago--there was also a $20 Hamilton Beach or B&D (sold at drug stores!!) that came out with the blade mounted over the motor and it did its jobs very well--albeit, NOT in the professional category. It was my DMIL's favorite kitchen tool for chopping veggies for her legendary vegetable soup to save her arthritic hands.
As with any kitchen tool, individual needs are different as well as affordability.

Yes, direct-drive machines are far better than the ones that have the belt drive linkage.

Hamilton Beach and Sears looked exactly alike years ago and had belt drive, as well as the old Farberware. In these models and later ones with that feature, the drive belt can slip and or break if the blades become jammed for any reason.

I remember when Robot Coup made Cuisinart machines. And only the cheap flimsily-made machines have belt drive now. Stay away from those ones!! You'll be wasting your money.

Oops, I forgot to mention that the Magimix has something that I honestly DON'T LIKE!

And that is, that the feed tube is way too small and narrow. And I don't like that at all. I hate it!! My K'Aid KFPF850PM DOES have a wide-mouth - said to be the widest one in the industry, so it wins again!

I knew that there was something else that I didn't like about that machine!
And that was it.

So now, I wouldn't buy that after all, glad that I didn't, and I'm REALLY glad that I bought the K'Aid KFPF850PM instead!!

And the only thing that the Magimix has over my machine is a few more accessories for it and a 12-year motor warranty. I'll stick with my machine instead. I like it much better!

I drove my old Cuisinart into the ground finally last year. After a lot of internet and hands on research, I replced it with another 11 cup Cuisinart and am very happy with it.

Although I like KA products very much and have several of them, I didn't think their food processor matched Cuisinart in (initial) quality. Time will tell, I guess, as to whether I made the right choice.

My blender broke at the same time (as did my mini food processor!!) and I repalced the blender with a refurbished KA that I bought on Amazon for more than 50% off. It seemed brand new and came in original packaging and was fully waranteed. I very much recommend exploring this option.

Cuisinart changed hands again - this time Conair bought them out!!

I don't like their products any more because they are being made with inferior quality.

Back
Top Bottom