I want to purchase a new food processor!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TexCin

Assistant Cook
For some reason I could not get the old thread to open on this subject. I need to know what's the best one out there. I'm hearing that Cuisinart has some of the best. Thanks

The forum was running too slow. I had that same problem earlier.

Want my advice? Stay away from Cuisinart! The co's products aren't reliable any more like they once were.

Get the K'Aid Pearl Metallic Food Processor (KPFP850PM). I own one, and it's the best and most powerful home processor made. No other machine even comes close!! It's heavy, powerful and made with extreme quality.

Go here; KitchenAid KPFP850PM 16 Cups Food Processor Review at Epinions.com and read MY (Daquan) review on this wonderful machine. I think you'll be convinced that it's the best machine out there!!

Last edited:
i have a KA processor with which I am well satisfied. The only justified complaint that I know of is that the accessory box is designed for one too few accessories. Good luck.

money is no object?

Hey TexCin, is there a budget involved here or are you that ever-so-lucky kind of cook who can order straight from the catalogue, forget waiting for that sale! I've been in need of a new processor as well and battle between the cost benefits of going upscale. Corey, are you saying Cuisinart, the company, has changed somehow? If I were to buy one it would not be the quiet, hard-working type my friends have had for years? Is the KA quiet? Is there a less professional one that might suit household needs and not kick the pocketbook so hard?:)

I'm STILL looking!

I'm not looking...yet.
My food processor, a Hamilton Beach, I think, is over 30 years old, and has been used steadily. I lost the blades when I left my ex, but everything I have left still works great. The machine weighs a ton, and is very noisy, but it keeps on doing a good job.!

I also have a baby Cuisenart that is wonderful for grinding herbs and other, small light-weight things. I got it free by saving coupons from my cigarettes, and it has been in use a good 10 years.

After the discussion about the newer crock-pots, I wonder what has happened to other appliances. Has quality been sacrificed, etc.? I still have my almost 30-year-old Cuisinart and am nearing the time to replace it. I really don't want to, but it's showing it's age and I think I should start doing my homework on what's out there. I'll be very interested to see what turns up on this thread. Keep talkin' everyone. I'm all ears.

Devora; Yes, Cuisinart has changed. There are many customers who are unsatisfied with their newer processors than people who have one one of their machines for 25 years or more.

Besides, Conair, a hair dryer co. has bought them out. Th K'Aid IS quiet. So are the Cuisinart machines, but who's to say how long THEY'LL last? If money is an object, then at least consider getting a lower priced K'Aid machine.

Yes Katie E, it seems quite apparent that some of the small appliance co's have sacrificed quality over quantity.

I could have gotten a lesser machine with less motor power and a plastic motor base with less quality, but i don't want that. And I wanted a home machine that has the most powerful motor out there. The K'Aid Pearl Metallic machine has that and more.

Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can buy quality once or buy crap forever!!

I put a lot of trust into Cook's Illustrated & their tests. They recommend the KitchenAid. That's what I will go with when I replace my old Cuisinart. I had to replace some of the plastic parts several years ago - the top & pusher thingie. Very expensive. I'm trying to be gentle with what I have now - I know it's not long for this world. One thing's gonna snap off & the whole thing won't work any more!

Corey, thanks for the info. It looks like a lot of people recommend Kitchenaid. I really didn't want 16 cups. How bout a little bit smaller one. Any recommendation? 11-14 cups?

Devora, No, I'm fortunate all right. My old processor was about 30 years old and worn out. My husband is going to buy me a new one for my birthday. Whatever I want! :)

You're welcome!!

Yes, K'Aid DOES make less expensive food processors that you can buy without spending a ton of dough.

There IS a smaller 12-cup model that you can get for about $250.00 or so. I think THIS one is perfect for you.

It has the wide-mouth feed tube just like mine does. You'd want that one, I think, for slicing whole fruits and veggies. It still has a powerful motor and three work bowls - all in different sizes. The Mini Bowl has it's own chopping blade for chopping small ammounts of stuff like garlic cloves, fresh herbs, etc.. And it has a storage display box for the supplied accessories

It's basically the smaller version of my machine in a slightly smaller package.
And it STILL has a metal motor base for sturdiness, beauty and luster!

The next ones down are the 9-cup and 7-cup models. But they don't have the wide-mouth feed tube.

Last edited:
A 16 cup FP is a lot larger than the standard size, which is around 11 cups. Make sure you need that extra size since you are going to pay for it. Also, a bowl that much larger may not handle small batches as well as the 11 cup model.

On the other hand, if you have always been wishing your old FP was able to handle larger quantities, go for the big guy.

For the power of being able to perform heavy duty culinary tasks with this machine, I selected it mainly for its raw power, capacity and versatility.

I wanted pure raw awesome power, and Cuisinart just can't deliver the goods. Their DLC-XPlus, the largest one they make, STILL has a wimpy motor in it (only 780 watts)!! And it costs almost a whopping $400.00 more than the K'Aid Pearl Metallic KPFP850PM which has a 1,000-watt induction motor!!

The only thing that the Cuisinart machine has over the K'Aid machine is a larger work bowl and a longer warranty on the motor.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with my FP's power. It may not be raw and awesome but it's fine for my needs.

I have a Cuisanart Custom 11 and love it. I haven't had a lick of problems with it. Granted its an older model too. I picked it up at a yard sale from an elderly woman that only used it a few times.

Personally, I think some of the older small appliance are more reliable and better built.

Ok, I know I only need about an 11-12 cup. Maybe years ago I needed the larger, but not anymore. I still love to cook and bake, but not in as large quantities as I did. Just quality.

Next question. Where's the best "store" to go check out the different models. I like to touch, see , and feel, better buying.

Andy, love the divi tree avatar. We went to Aruba for the first time this last spring!

TexCin, Go to the kitchen stores closest to you. Williams-Sonoma, Linens N Things, Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc. They will all have several models and brands to check out. They will not have the best prices.

For good prices, shop online or at a warehouse store like Costco, BJs or Sam's.

PS: We have a timeshare in Aruba and go ther every year for two weeks. Seven weeks from yesterday we will be there again!

I recently bought a Cuisinart and am very happy with it, but time will tell. I found that I use for doughs much more than anything else. They included a recipe book with a great bread recipe for an Artisan style bread It's simply 1# flour, 2 t. salt, 1 packet of active dry yeast and 10 oz of H20. You add the H20 to the rest and process it for 45 seconds. Let it rise and bake. It's outstanding. They also have a dough speed and dough blade. I don't remember if the KA's had that feature. Oh well time will tell if I made a good choice.

JDP:wacko:

TexCin, try also LeGourmet, Target, Walmat and Best Buy as well.

If you choose to buy one online, then Cooking.com, ChefsCatalog.com and even K'Aid's own website sells their machines.

The main brainers out their are K'Aid and Cuisinart, but as I said, I like K'Aid much better.

Last edited:
Love my Cuisinart(s)!

I'm a late bloomer and just recently discovered the food processor. Last year I received the 3-cup as a gift and soon discovered it was too small for my needs. I was making double batches of things - insane! Anyway, I recently purchased an 11-cup and use it for everything. No complaints here at all.

TexCin said:
Ok, I know I only need about an 11-12 cup. Maybe years ago I needed the larger, but not anymore. I still love to cook and bake, but not in as large quantities as I did. Just quality.

Next question. Where's the best "store" to go check out the different models. I like to touch, see , and feel, better buying.

Andy, love the divi tree avatar. We went to Aruba for the first time this last spring!

TexCin, go here to this page; KitchenAid KTA KFPM770NK 12 Cups Food Processor at Epinions.com. and see if this 12-cup K'Aid is the right one for you. I think it will be.

It's the very next one down from mine, has everything mine does and the motor is still a very powerful one. Click on the View Details button to get the specs. No reviews were written on it as yet.

There are websites posted there where you can buy the machine.

If price is an issue, then there's a cheaper model like this one, but without the wide-mouth feed tube. Every K'Aid below that is less than 12 cups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom