In Sink Garbage Disposal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Yep, I KILLED my in-sink garbage disposal and looking to replace it with a 1/2 HP Kenmore brand. My question is that is it easy enough that I can install myself? Are there any special tools or considerations that I need to account for?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

I just recently installed 2 new garbage disposers and I was able to do it myself. Mine weren't Kenmore but both (different brands) were installed basically the same way and had clear instructions. You'll need plumber's putty and I wanted to use larger wire nuts so I bought ones other than the ones supplied. Open the box and look at the contents and read through the instructions a couple of times. Mine came with the allen wrench needed. One thing I had an issue with was that I don't have a lot of upper body strength and had some trouble holding the unit up while rotating it in. I got a bucket to kind of rest it on and it helped a great deal. But it was quite satisfying to have done it myself! Good luck.
Terry

You should be able to do it. The hardest part is wrestling the heavy part under the sink.

Also, I would rcommend a 3/4 hp unit.

Miss Sattie...

Certainly you can do it, if you put your mind to it!!

Make certain you turn OFF the electrical current/breaker that supplys the unit. This is the only "dangerous" part of the installation. Unless you drop it on your big toe!!!:ohmy:

Also, if by (slim) chance you have an electrical problem, that results in an insurance claim, the insurance company will NOT pay the claim if they discover it was not installed by a licensed electrician.

Kenmore is not the best one to get. Home depot has much better brands, not that much more money.

Also it comes with pretty decent instructions on how too do it your self.

buy a small electrical tester .. they chirp when the are near live electricity ..
they cost about 12 bucks .. better safe than sorry ..
also .. dont forget the knockout plug if you have a dishwasher ..

Well folks, the garbage disposal is installed and working. A slight leaking problem at first, but nothing that the tightening of a few plumbing parts fixed in a snap.

There was a little more to it than I expected with hooking up the electrical wire to the unit itself. And yes, Andy and FM, it was a task trying to get the old one off and hoisting up the new one.

Charlie... sadly we ended up with the Kenmore brand that was reccommended by Consumer Reports... I am not a fan of Kenmore products and had my reservations about it, but hubby assured me it was the way to go... we will see!

Thanks for all the replies, I get more confidence each time I accomplish the handy man tasks around the house.

Just for grins, anyone have any idea what they charge you to have it professionally installed???

Another note, I did find the instructions a little vauge in areas with the Kenmore product, but we were able to figure it out. More illustrations would have been nice.

Thanks Andy!! **blushes** I love doing things myself... such a greater sense of satisfaction!!! :bb:

Bravo, sattie! Feels great, huh? I think I got a quote of $75 installation for each one, (which was why I decided to do it myself). So you saved some money and you know it was done right! Plus, I'll bet your hubby was seriously impressed and that's priceless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom