Is It Time to Replace My Fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
I'm pleased w my refrigerator (even though it's not stainless steel & over 10 years old). Last time I moved it out to clean the back, & unscrewed the bottom plate, the carbon-like filter? sort of disintigrated in my hands. Is this a sign I need a new fridge - or a CO2 leak? I may be able to get a new free fridge through DWP, but hate to give up the one I have, as everything works perfectly & lots of space. Any suggestions/input is appreciated. TIA

I'm pleased w my refrigerator (even though it's not stainless steel & over 10 years old). Last time I moved it out to clean the back, & unscrewed the bottom plate, the carbon-like filter? sort of disintigrated in my hands. Is this a sign I need a new fridge - or a CO2 leak? I may be able to get a new free fridge through DWP, but hate to give up the one I have, as everything works perfectly & lots of space. Any suggestions/input is appreciated. TIA

If there was a freon leak, you'd know soon enough when the unit isn't cold any more inside.

That happened to me once. Hadn't gone to the fridge for two days. When I did, I thought something had died in there! Had to throw away the food.

Sears fixed it though at a cheap price. Had to be purged and recharged with freon.

Don't know what make/model refrigerator you have *amy* - but the pan in the bottom of the fridge is generally/usually a "drip pan" which collects condensation that drips off the condenser coils (so it doesn't leak onto your floor). It also collects dust and dirt. And, when you add moisture and dirt in layers, over 10 years, it could be an ugly crumbly mess.

Since your fridge works fine, and you don't really want to replace it ... I would check to see if maybe it does have a filter that should be replaced and not chunk out a good box!

As for the free fridge - you might want to read the link I posted to the info about it in the FREE Refrigerator thread you started.

After reading both threads, LOL, if you like your fridge keep it. If you are considering the new one you may or may not qualify for, find out up front what make/model it is and check it out in person. You may find it doesn't fit your needs or is cheaper than the one you have and will be unhappy with it.
Nothing like 'trading down' on something and regretting it...

Back
Top Bottom