ISO A Simple Electric Meat Grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I looked through the archives. I'm wondering if anyone has more recent recs. Don't have a KA, as I'm not a baker.

I'd like a simple machine, preferably electric, to grind my own burger and sausage. I've tried the food processor, but results were kinda lumpy/mushy/inconsistent.

Hopefully FrankZ will have a few tips for you. I've got a 50 year old Oster that I make do with. If I had a choice I'd prefer a #12 size but am loath to pony up the $500 - $600 bucks for one of the 'better' ones. After my recent experience with a Weston brand meat saw I've become further disenchanted with made in China products.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Cabela's has a wide selection. Have you checked Bed Bath and Beyond or the like?

We don't have any of them here. Just wondering what works for other folks.

Hmm. Will check out Cabellas online.

Last edited:
I have a Moulinex. I am very happy with it. I bought it in the early '80s. It has a vegi thing that grates and slices. I don't grind meat all that often, but this baby gets used for shredding cheese and red cabbage a lot.

taxlady said:
I have a Moulinex. I am very happy with it. I bought it in the early '80s. It has a vegi thing that grates and slices. I don't grind meat all that often, but this baby gets used for shredding cheese and red cabbage a lot.

So if you put a roast through it, it will make a passable grade of hamburger?

Last edited:
If you are a tinkerer, you could get a hand-cranked unit and fit it with a small, 115 VAC motor. A 1/4 to 1/2 hp should do the trick. They are available as veriable speed.

So if you put a roast through it, it will make a passable grade of hamburger?
Yup, but you have to cut the meat into pieces that will fit the grinder. I was having visions of trying to fit an entire roast down the throat of the grinder. :LOL:

It has two plates with different sizes of holes, so you can choose the "chunkiness" of your ground meat.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I got a hand grinder for around $29 and it works perfectly. The attachment for the KA is kind of a pain.

Here's the cabela's link! Cabela's: Food Processing

Thanks PF! I went ahead and ordered the very highly rated Cabela Pro. On sale and free shipping!

A new toy!

Thanks to all for the responses!

Last edited:
Try - LEM.com. It really doesn't pay to get a "cheap" one. As they are sort of a work horse type of michine. Plus you can get attchments to make sausage, jerkey etc.

Oh--I was going to say that I got the Cuisinart one--three blades, sausage feed tube. I think I paid $99 for mine at Canadian Tire. It works well (and quickly) to grind meat for sausage.

Oh--I was going to say that I got the Cuisinart one--three blades, sausage feed tube. I think I paid $99 for mine at Canadian Tire. It works well (and quickly) to grind meat for sausage.
That's the only thing I miss on my meat grinder: a sausage feed tube. It's so old now that I doubt they have parts for it any more. I should check.

Electric meat grinders rotate at 60 to 120 or more RPMs. Good luck cranking a manual grinder at that speed.

I have found I move at a slower speed than the electric grinder, therein lies the problem. And I'm not in that much of a hurry:)

If I had to crank out 50 pounds, had a deer to process, etc. Yes, an electric would be useful. But I only grind about 5 pounds at a time.

Thanks PF! I went ahead and ordered the very highly rated Cabela Pro. On sale and free shipping!

A new toy!

Thanks to all for the responses!

Cool Dawg! A new toy! Since it's come from Cabela's you should be able to order any attachments you might want for it.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I have found I move at a slower speed than the electric grinder, therein lies the problem. And I'm not in that much of a hurry:)

If I had to crank out 50 pounds, had a deer to process, etc. Yes, an electric would be useful. But I only grind about 5 pounds at a time.

My hands don't work as well as they used to. Good ol' Arthur.

Yes indeedy! There are plenty of attachments included!

DH thinks I'm crazy. "Where are you gonna put it?"

Silly man. One can never have too many toys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom