ISO comments about ice cream appliances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenna

Assistant Cook
I was just curious, would it be better to make ice cream in my ninja blender or to make it in a cuisinart ice creammaker?

I was just curious, would it be better to make ice cream in my ninja blender or to make it in a cuisinart ice creammaker?

I have both of those appliances, and I always grab the one that has "ice cream" in its name when I make ice cream.

well, we don't have "cold stone creamery" near by. I live in AK. and with $5 or more or less for 1/2 quart of ice cream, I think I can easily save on ice cream especially as people in AK eat a lot of ice cream plus, I can make it taste however I want, I can make it healthier, etc.

what kind of ice cream makers do you guys use?

We have the Cuisinart ice cream maker and love it. Sooo easy and makes great ice cream. We liked ours so much, I bought a second one at a thrift store for $2 so we could make two kinds of ice cream at the same time.

I have the Rival 1-quart with the canister you keep in the freezer.

We use a Cuisinart 2 quart machine. Given the cost of heavy cream, it's tough to economize except to the extent you are willing to use egg yolks to offset reduced heavy cream content by making a cooked custard ice cream.

Last edited:
okay, so not cost efficient - even if I bought it from craigslist?

One crazy thing that I discovered here. I can get fresh local heavy cream from Whole Foods cheaper than the mass produced stuff (store brand or name brand) in the regular grocery store, strange but it has been that way for a couple years. The local stuff is great, it has such amazing flavor.

thats cool. I don't think that would be easily accessible where I live. but oh well. I'll have to look at some ice cream recipes first then, see how costly it is or isn't.

thats cool. I don't think that would be easily accessible where I live. but oh well. I'll have to look at some ice cream recipes first then, see how costly it is or isn't.
I seem to recall that the ingredients for $6 per pint store bought icecream runs about $3 per pint. On sale the $6 per pint is sometimes available at about $3 per pint. I make my own because I prefer less sugar than the store bought.

Last edited:
Making homemade ice cream isn't always about saving money. It is the fun of doing it, being able to control the ingredients, making fun flavors, and sometimes using fresh fruit.

besides price, I was thinking of making some without sugar, maybe stevia or something. thers not a lot of options in the non-sugar ice creams. so . . . thats part of my inspiration.

Going much below 1/2 cup of sugar per quart of ice cream mix will usually result in a less than creamy frozen desert.

That's interesting. The recipe I always use says 3T each of brown sugar and white, for 1.5 qts... and there's 8T in 1/2c, so I wonder if that is why my ice cream isn't as creamy as storebought... It's good, just not very creamy. And a PITA to scoop out of the container.
I'm going to bump up my sugar content and see what happens.
Thanks.

That's interesting. The recipe I always use says 3T each of brown sugar and white, for 1.5 qts... and there's 8T in 1/2c, so I wonder if that is why my ice cream isn't as creamy as storebought... It's good, just not very creamy. And a PITA to scoop out of the container.
I'm going to bump up my sugar content and see what happens.
Thanks.
You're welcome. The babe from Jersey City (Metro New York? :)) was kind enough to impart that pearl of culinary wisdom. The sugar acts as a mild anti-freeze.

Back
Top Bottom