ISO help/advice on choosing a bread machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roby

Assistant Cook
I need a new one what are good ones hopefully under $150.00?

I have 2 and have had them for over 15 years. One is made by Welbilt and the other is an Oster. Both are real workhorses. However, I have to admit that they've only each been used to make bread as their manuals directed. I mainly use them to do the kneading and the first rise. Then I shape the dough into whatever form I want.

Also, I bought both of them at Goodwill for less than $5 each.

I haven't been without a bread machine since 1995 when my mother in law gave me my first one. I was insulted. I have used one weekly since 1995. Having had several models, the one that bakes the best bread has been a Panasonic SD YD250. They are not made new anymore but are easy to find on eBay. I also use it to made dough for bread and pizzas. But it also bakes a fine loaf of bread.

I have a CERTIFIED REFURBISHED Cuisinart CBK-200FR 2-Pound Convection Automatic Bread Maker I bought over 10 years ago and it has worked flawlessly except sometime during my last move the bread pan locked up and wouldn't mix the dough. I got a new pan direct from Cuisinart for $37.00. Third party sources wanted $47.00.

You can get it directly from Cuisinart for $159.95

While I do not really want to derail this thread, I am curious about your love for bread machines. I've never had one (but my cousin did and reported less than great results).

Is it just the set and forget convenience of them (like a rice cooker)? Seems they are quite limited as to what kinds of bread you can create with them, and many of them don't even offer anything beyond a series of pre-programmed settings.

As far as I am concerned I have just used it for mixing the bread and letting it do the first rise then I take it out put it in a pan or a cookie sheet and bake it.
I'm not sure how the newer ones bake the bread?

By the way do you bake your bread in the maker or oven?

As far as I am concerned I have just used it for mixing the bread and letting it do the first rise then I take it out put it in a pan or a cookie sheet and bake it.
I'm not sure how the newer ones bake the bread?

Exactly. That's how I use our bread machines. I have severe arthitis in my hands which causes me to have trouble doing any kneading. As I stated in an earlier post, that's how I use my bread machines. I can make any kinds of breads, rolls, pizza dough, whatever is a yeast product. Guess there are some breads I can't produce, but I haven't found any.

I love the fact that the bread machine does the "heavy lifting" while I am free to do something else. Win, win!

Back
Top Bottom