ISO help/advice using my elec. rice cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvs2Cook

Head Chef
I just bought a ricer and the manual is not very helpful.
How long does the rice take to cook in this machine?
Anyone with any info is appreciated! tx.

Its a Rival 6 cup ricer

I just went to the Rival site to look at the rice cookers and read the instruction manual for their 6-cup cooker. It doesn't really give a time, in minutes, for cooking rice, but it instructs you to observe it until all the water is evaporated. I suppose the best recommendation I could offer is to cook a recipe of rice and time it. This would give you some general idea of the time you should allow in order for your rice to be ready when you need it.

Most rice cookers take an average of 15 minutes (maybe as many as 20 minutes depending on the size of the cooker) to cook a pot of white rice. Wild or brown rice could take 45 minutes to to an hour.

Rice-Water ratio is nearly always 1 cup of white rice to 1-1/3 cups pf water. With some types of rice this may vary to 2 cups of rice to 5 cups of water or broth.

The best thing to do, if you're not making plain white rice, is to work from a specific recipe.

Last edited:
It's 1 part white rice to 1.5 parts water for my cooker and 1 part brown rice to 2 parts water.

Rice cookers are automatic, and when they're done cooking the rice, they go into keep warm mode. The normal ratio for rice to water is white rice-1 rice and 2 water and brown rice-1 rice to 2½ to 3 water. If you want to make packaged rice dishes like Zatarains, Farmhouse, Near East, Mahatma, etc. just follow the stove top directions on the package.

If your cooker has fuzzy logic it will go into warm mode when the rice is done. Mine takes about 45 to 50 for white rice. I cook 4 or 5 cups.

Back
Top Bottom