ISO help cleaning black appliances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
What is the best way to clean black kitchen appliances like a stove or refrigerator ? They seem to get streaks on them very easily.
Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give.

Windex, vinegar and water, whatever you use for cleaning. But if you have a restaurant supply place near you, consider getting some stuff called Sheila Shine. You put it on right after you clean your appliance and it discourages smudges and fingerprints and makes it much easier to clean off dried spills and messes. Really, this stuff is amazing. I got it for my stainless steel appliances but discovered it works great on any surface! You reapply it every few months. It says on the can that you can use it on "fine wood furniture", too. I haven't tried that but it's on every surface in my kitchen.

I looked up Sheila Shine and it seems it's for stainless steel only. Is there one that can be used on black?

I just use Windex - and accept the fact it's going to show finger prints and streaks and spots if they are touched or used.

Yes, you're right!!

No buckets of hot water, no harsh chemicals, no rags, no rinsing, no hard labor involved and no mess!

And when you're done, the paper towel gets tossed! Simplicity in and of itself.

While Windex will work great to get rid of the streaks and put a shine on the paint, it's not great for coking crud on a stove top.

For stubborn stuff, I use Dawn Power Dissolver or Barkeeper's Friend for the tough stuff.

Actually, you can use Sheila Shine on almost anything. I use it on my cabinets (wood), my glass doors, my white appliances (enamel finish), and the formica counters at the coast. Here's the link to the site:
http://www.sheilashineinc.com/What_is_Sheila_Shine_/what_is_sheila_shine_.html
This is what is says about what you can use it on:
Sheila Shine works on:
● Stainless Steel ● Chrome ● Aluminum ● Brass ● Formica ● Porcelain ● Fiberglass ● Enamel ● Plastic ● Leather ● Furniture ● Wood ● Etc.
I don't own stock in this company or have any affiliation with this product yada yada. I just find it works awesomely in my kitchen.

While Windex will work great to get rid of the streaks and put a shine on the paint, it's not great for coking crud on a stove top.

For stubborn stuff, I use Dawn Power Dissolver or Barkeeper's Friend for the tough stuff.

about once a week, i put the grids and spill catchers in my dishwasher on pots and pans setting. really does the trick on top of stove. while they are off, i clean the rest of top with mr.clean magic eraser.stove always looks good. sorta got off track on the black question. i use the magic eraser on them and polish with paper towels.

babe:dry::dry:

Last edited:
Hmmm ... I also have a newer black stove, but don't have trouble with finger prints and smudges as much as I do with dust and "floaties" in the air. It sits directly in front of a window and when the sun is beating in, I swear you can see the air as it passes the black enamel! For this, I absolutely swear by my microfiber towels. They are incredible and hold like 2-3 cups of liquid (and yes, unfortunately we have had to test that claim).

I have wondered if it was safe to use that Dawn power stuff, since I have a pump of it under my sink. It totally removed the non-stick coating from a muffin pan I had, so I am scared to death of it, LOL. Andy, are you SURE it won't remove the paint? I don't think Jenn-Aire will believe me if I call and say my paint is flaking.

This Sheila Shine sounds interesting ... does it remove the gunk, or just shine after cleaning? I have gunk around burners I rarely even use!*

*Footnote - kids who cook!

If your appliances have become grossly sticky from built-up grease (and this usually comes from frying and sauteing things over a period of time), another great product that can also be used is Greased Lightening.

It cuts right through that caked-up sticky grease and it literally lifts that stuff right off!

And the two most vulnerable appliances to get that greasy buildup would be your stove and your hood, if you have one. But it won't work for carbonized grease though. Just plain normal sticky grease buildup.

Last edited:
Thanks Corey, my hood is on my micro combo, and I'm pretty diligent about keeping it wiped. Is Greased Lightning a commercial product, or can I find it in the grocery/discount stores? Sounds vaguely familiar, but I recall whether I've actually seen it or not.

You're welcome!

It's availible at your local supermarket in regular quart-size pump spray bottles.

One day about two summers ago, I was getting something at Home Depot, and in the aisle that has the cleaning supplies, I found a gallon-size jug of the stuff, so I immediately picked one up.

The landlord gave me an 8-oz bottle of it when I moved here. I kept the bottle, and so, I refill ALL of the bottles from that 1-gallon jug. It's grime and sticky grease's worst nightmare! Great stuff!

I usualy scrub with a multi surface first then polish off the washcloth or sponge streaks with windex.
My DH makes fun of me for shining my oven / stove...
He polishes engine parts. Whats the point in that?!?!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom