ISO Opinions On Which New Refrigerator To Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mahalo, Thanks CJ, we've got a 7cubic foot freezer in our garage that we'll take with us, along with less than 1 year old washer&dryer... too bad for who ever buys this home, `cuz I'm not including that in the sale... now if you'd like to buy all of my furniture and pay me a pretty penny from them, I'll do a separate bill of sale on that.

We've owned our present home since 1998 and have only lived in it for the past 8 years, wow, this week!
We rented this place as a fulled outfitted vacation home and it payed for it's self! We have been very blessed. Our friends and family members didn't did it that we wanted to move away from Hawaii upon retirement. So we put this home together way ahead of time and it was sitting here waiting for us.
The first Fall/Winter season we lived here, I was out side doing something or another and these two ladies walked up to me and started berating me, "Why aren't renting this season? We love your home and don't really care this one that we had to settle for this year?" I laughed so hard and said that we were permanent residents now and I was very happy that they got to enjoy our home.

I can't make anything out from your link but I was looking at several Dorn Homes' floor plans on their web site. Their layouts look like they're designed for stand alone refrigerators.
If possible are you able to check out any of their model homes on site to see how their appliances are set up?

You don't want to end up with a full depth fridge that sticks out like this...

floor plan.jpg

This a photo of the kitchen/great room of the model that we like, it's 1446 sq ft 2bd/2bath smallish back yard, just what we have been looking for for the past 2-3 years.
Although, now DH is having second thoughts ARGH!!:censored:
This has been the issue for the past few years, he's too comfortable here and I have to show him how wonderful it will be living closer to Mr&Mrs DF

Kgirl, judging from the photo I think I know which home you're looking at.

That refrigerator opening looks like 36" wide, and cabinet depth. If that's the case a 36"wide by 24"deep built-in fridge would look best there (but very pricey).

Also since the floor plan shows plenty of room in front of the refrigerator you can install virtually any shallow, stand alone refrigerator there. That would be my choice.
I would stay away from deep, square footprint refrigerators. It'll stick out like a sore thumb and make access to the cabinets above the fridge difficult.

Last edited:
Kgirl, judging from the photo I think I know which home you're looking at.

That refrigerator opening looks like 36" wide, and cabinet depth. If that's the case a 36"wide by 24"deep built-in fridge would look best there (but very pricey).

Also since the floor plan shows plenty of room in front of the refrigerator you can install virtually any shallow, stand alone refrigerator there. That would be my choice.
I would stay away from deep, square footprint refrigerators. It'll stick out like a sore thumb and make access to the cabinets above the fridge difficult.

So roadfix, with that said would you have a brand and model suggestion?

So roadfix, with that said would you have a brand and model suggestion?

Here's what you can do. If your range and micro are going to be GE then stick with a GE fridge to keep things simple.
Go to: GE Side-by-Side Refrigerators to get some ideas on counter-depth refrigerators. They're just slightly deeper than built-ins but a lot less expensive. They're available in side by side and in french doors.

Last edited:
I have a Fisher & Paykel dish drawer, too. Overall, it works well and is quiet. However, when I got new dinner dishes to go with our newly renovated kitchen (eight years ago now), they did not fit in the dish drawers. Many modern dinner plates are larger than they used to be.

Also, sheet pans and platters don't fit. We've gotten used to that now and just hand-wash those things, as well as most pots and pans, but it was annoying at first.

Oh and GG, I meant to say, good call! I put everything in the dishwasher, well with just a few exceptions. I seem to run the dishwasher every second or third day even with just the two of us...we don't entertain much.

Oh and GG, I meant to say, good call! I put everything in the dishwasher, well with just a few exceptions. I seem to run the dishwasher every second or third day even with just the two of us...we don't entertain much.

My optometrist went nuts when I told him I put my reading glasses in the dishwasher. I said "The owners manual said the top rack was perfect for glasses!"

I have an LG refrigerator and we get ice underneath the freezer. It is a french door refrigerator and from what I've read online that is a common problem with the french door no matter who the manufacturer is. When we first got it we had this problem and it was under warranty. The repair man came and said there was styrofoam in the line, and it probably got in there from the factory. It was fine for a good while after that and then the ice started accumulating again. We are putting off calling a repair man as it is no longer under warranty. I don't think the fact that it's an LG has anything do do with it, but the style instead.

We have a gas furnace, clothes dryer, hot water tank and stove. It's what I'm used to, but I have lost my sense of smell so it's not good for me to have gas. So far I depend on DH to smell if we have a gas leak. I have heard that you can get detectors from the gas company to give an audible warning, same as a smoke detector.

I have an LG refrigerator and we get ice underneath the freezer. It is a french door refrigerator and from what I've read online that is a common problem with the french door no matter who the manufacturer is. When we first got it we had this problem and it was under warranty. The repair man came and said there was styrofoam in the line, and it probably got in there from the factory. It was fine for a good while after that and then the ice started accumulating again. We are putting off calling a repair man as it is no longer under warranty. I don't think the fact that it's an LG has anything do do with it, but the style instead.

We have a gas furnace, clothes dryer, hot water tank and stove. It's what I'm used to, but I have lost my sense of smell so it's not good for me to have gas. So far I depend on DH to smell if we have a gas leak. I have heard that you can get detectors from the gas company to give an audible warning, same as a smoke detector.

Carol Pa (I knew a Carol Pa in Hawaii :)) do you have the water/ice dispenser in the door?

We've never had a problem with ice under our Maytag French door refrigerator.

... and GG I forget now, do you also have the water/ice dispenser in the door?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom