ISO Opinions On Which New Refrigerator To Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kgirl, do you have an answer yet about the water quality at your new location? That's number one.
The last thing you want to do is have water going to your fridge that's "chunky" with minerals, like mine.

In Ventura County Ca. here, the water quality variety is from town to town. Some towns are passable, but others are patooie.....like here in Santa Paula. Los Angeles county south of us has great water from what I've tasted.
It's really important you know the water quality there, and as someone else said, don't buy the fridge until you have keys to the house.

Last edited:
In our fridge, the water goes through a filter before it gets anywhere else. We change the filter regularly and that would seem to take care of any potential problems along that line. If I lived in an area with questionable water, I'd have an RO system in the kitchen.

Down on the island our water was from a rainwater cistern (which ultimately even had frogs living in it despite adding chlorine to it to keep down the algae), which was nothing more than a cinder block tank lined with plastic under the house, but the RO system in the kitchen gave us excellent drinking water, both from the tap and from the fridge. For about $500 for the system, plus less than $60 each year for scheduled filter replacement, it was cheaper overall than bottled water (and the better your water is to begin with, the less often you have to replace the filters).

In our fridge, the water goes through a filter before it gets anywhere else. We change the filter regularly and that would seem to take care of any potential problems along that line. If I lived in an area with questionable water, I'd have an RO system in the kitchen.

Down on the island our water was from a rainwater cistern (which ultimately even had frogs living in it despite adding chlorine to it to keep down the algae), which was nothing more than a cinder block tank lined with plastic under the house, but the RO system in the kitchen gave us excellent drinking water, both from the tap and from the fridge. For about $500 for the system, plus less than $60 each year for scheduled filter replacement, it was cheaper overall than bottled water (and the better your water is to begin with, the less often you have to replace the filters).

You're talking about apples and oranges with water quality in the USA Rick.
There is no way in the world I could keep up with dealing with a water filtration system in my kitchen, let alone in my refrigerator. The cost and time is an issue. When it's a fact of life, one deals with bottled water, or is just grateful for safe drinking water, more than many people have, and I'm so aware.

Last edited:
There is no way in the world I could keep up with dealing with a water filtration system in my kitchen, let alone in my refrigerator. The cost and time is an issue. When it's a fact of life, one deals with bottled water, or is just grateful for safe drinking water, more than many people have, and I'm so aware.

That's your choice of course, but an RO system isn't any more expensive than a low end kitchen appliance, and the time involved in its use is pretty insignificant - about 15 minutes each 6 months to a year to change out the 3 sediment filters (the interval depends on the quality of the incoming water - any city water is going to be pretty much sediment free - the RO membrane doesn't have to be changed nearly that often, and that's the only expensive filter, about $70). It's not like it hits a wall and you have to change them right now. If your water is already city water, then once a year is more than enough, and the RO membrane maybe on a 2 or 3 year cycle.

I've lived and visited in a lot of places, so I've experienced different water supplies, but none of the poorer ones that wouldn't benefit from reverse osmosis. We used the RO water for cooking and drinking on the island, and it was never an issue, either time or cost wise. I never liked the taste of the tap water we had in Denver, and if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have installed an RO system rather than messing around with 5 gallon bottles for 15 years.

We recently thought about an RO system. We go through between 12 to 18 gallons a week for drinking and cooking. Reason for the odd numbers is we bought three 7 gallon containers. Amazon.com : Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container : Camping Water Storage : Sports & Outdoors
Water down the street is 50 cents for 3 gallons. It is 25 cents for 1 gallon and $1 for 5 gallons. So we put 6 gallons in each container.
Doing the math, it would take at least 10 years for the system to pay for itself.

Water down the street is 50 cents for 3 gallons. It is 25 cents for 1 gallon and $1 for 5 gallons. So we put 6 gallons in each container.
Doing the math, it would take at least 10 years for the system to pay for itself.
I don't think it's about saving money here. You can't beat the convenience of having your own water purification system, in house.

I don't think it's about saving money here. You can't beat the convenience of having your own water purification system, in house.
I can't argue with you on the convenience. However, for some people they don't have the luxury of that $500 cash up front. Or in some houses, the space to put one. Or both.

I also think it boils down to the individual person's values.
Is convenience or savings more important?
Neither answer is right or wrong.

I can't argue with you on the convenience. However, for some people they don't have the luxury of that $500 cash up front. Or in some houses, the space to put one. Or both.

I also think it boils down to the individual person's values.
Is convenience or savings more important?
Neither answer is right or wrong.

If you have the typical double sink in your kitchen, the RO system installs under the sink with plenty of space. All you lose is a little bit of storage for cleaning supplies, and we still had room for a bucket and the usual sponges and household cleaners.

Kgirl, do you have an answer yet about the water quality at your new location? That's number one.
The last thing you want to do is have water going to your fridge that's "chunky" with minerals, like mine.
... snipped ...

Yes KL, we did get the city water report, but I'll be a monkey's auntie if I know what the heck I'm looking at!

Anybody in DC Land understand these dang things?

We're going up to Northern Arizona this coming weekend to look again.
I emailed to the Dorn Homes rep to get the GE model, ie Profile, Adora, etc.
He tells me, "all I have are some numbers and letters ... "
:ermm:

SAY WHAT? :huh:

What sales men doesn't know his product
up one side and down the other? :blink:
I'm getting leery of this place!
Dim bulb me thinks ... ;)
We're going to go look at another development up the road a few miles and see if it's got something better to offer us.

We will be thinking hard about the entire situation and how we will proceed.
I've been discussing all of these points with my husband, and it's all up in the air for now.

So, if anyone understands city water reports, I would greatly appreciate some assistance on that.

We will be thinking hard about the entire situation and how we will proceed.
I've been discussing all of these points with my husband, and it's all up in the air for now.

So, if anyone understands city water reports, I would greatly appreciate some assistance on that.

I'm not exactly shy, and would not have any qualms about knocking on some doors of neighbors, and asking them what they thought of the water quality, and why. Tell the builder to go to the Home Depot site, all those numbers we gave you are there. He must have a computer for pete sake.

Last edited:
But often, it's best to walk into these model homes and note the builder supplied appliance models installed and also to check for external ventilation yourself. Of course, there may be slight variations with actual appliance models, due to availability, newer model, or whatever, with newer construction.

I'm not exactly shy, and would not have any qualms about knocking on some doors of neighbors, and asking them what they thought of the water quality, and why. Tell the builder to go to the Home Depot site, all those numbers we gave you are there. He must have a computer for pete sake.

Chances are very good the builder has no relationship or account with Home Depot or Lowes or Menards.
Professionals usually use a supply houses they have an open accounts with. Many also have a disdain for these types of stores.
Home Depot and the others are for DIY'ers in most cases.
Now I do know some contractors that will buy certain things from these places as the price cannot be beat.
You are correct. He should have a computer. :LOL:

OP. Some years ago I listened to Clark Howard on the radio. He was of the opinion that newer style, high priced appliances were a mistake.
Example: $3000 refrigerator not necessarily as good as the $1500 model.
Don't get me wrong. I too would buy the type with freezer on bottom with double doors. They have been on the market for a very long time now and are not considered untested.
That appliances that have served their time on the market and have had all the bugs worked out was where the consumer should go. Appliances the manufacturer has built thousands of.
Save money and get something that will last.
If I were you, I would get Consumer Reports and see what they suggest.

Exactly KL! I'm going to do that on my smart phone as I'm standing there with him. I think that he's dragging his feet on giving up and particulars until we make a comment, ie sign a contract, which don't want to do until we are fully informed! (taxes, CFD something new we discovered, HOA fees and what they cover, etc.)

But often, it's best to walk into these model homes and note the builder supplied appliance models installed and also to check for external ventilation yourself. Of course, there may be slight variations with actual appliance models, due to availability, newer model, or whatever, with newer construction.

roadfix, why should I check the external vents? forgive me for sounding uneducated, but I guess I am...

JMO, but if I wasn't promised in the contract, an outside vent for my stove and all my bathrooms, they could kiss the deal goodbye.

These community homes are not built to your specs. They offer upgrades but venting is usually not an option. They either come with or without external venting. You either get them retrofitted by another contractor once the home is completed or look for home plans that come with venting. But I don't think that should become your purchase decision.
Who knows, maybe vented homes are only offered on large home plans by this particular builder.....and that's usually the case.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom