ISO Stand mixer advice - don't want a lemon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanna be

Senior Cook
I am getting serious about buying a kithcen aid stand mixer, and I am curious if any of you guys have any experiance with proffesional 600, 6 qt line.I have read varried reveiws on these models.I want a machine that can handle double plus batches of pizza dough with ease.Any input would be great.

I've got a Pro-6, the model before they came out with the 600 series, and I've made double batches (2 loaves, 7 cups flour) of bread dough every week for about 4 years with no problem. I see no reason why it wouldn't work just as well making a double batch (2 pizzas - 7 cups flour) just as well.

you want a very strong motor. some of the smaller units don't have that but i assume yours will.

I have the Pro 600 6 quart mixer and I make 12 dozen chocolate chip cookie dough from creaming the butter to stirring in the chips and it is wonderful. I make huge batches of pizza dough, bread dough and batter for my large wedding cake layers. I have put that machine through everything and it is still amazing. You can't go wrong if you are planning heavy duty usage.

I also have this model, in fact I recently replaced an very old smaller kitchen aid. I use mine almost exclusively for bread and can make large heavy batches with no issue. Interestingly, it's not much larger than my old mixer on the counter - but handles 8 Cups of flour with no trouble. Mine is a color called caviar which is really black with a little sparkle added.

Thanks for the input.

I really didd'nt think I could go wrong with 575watts of power, my main concern was with some of models shipping with a plastic gear cover that was prone to failure.I am glad that you are all happy with your machines as Im sure I will be.I do have one more question.As far as the bowl lift and the tilting head which one is better?It seems that the tilting head would give you more clearance when removing the bowl.What are the pros and cons of each style? Thanks for the advice.

I have seen a couple of posts on various forums about the KA motors burning out when mixing big batches of dough; but I'm pretty sure the situations were operator error.

The KA manual very clearly states that when mixing dough the speed should be set at #1 or #2 and "NEVER" any higher. I think some folks can't read and others don't read!!

Be sure to stay within the limits stated in the manual and you should never have a problem!!

With the number of KA Professional 600’s and its derivatives out there, a small number of them are certain to exhibit little yellow citrus tendencies. My older Professional 6 is still going strong after six years and if you follow the very good advice to limit your dough to 7-8 cups [1 kg or 35 oz] of flour chances are very good that yours will live a long life too.

If it does not, the K6 platform is the easiest mixer around to repair without sending it off to trained technician and parts are available all over the internet at reasonable prices.

For making bread, a lift bowl mixer is a lot more stable when kneading under load than a tilt head. To remove the bowl from a lift bowl the agitator has to be removed and dropped into the bowl before the bowl is lifted from its pins. It is a motion that becomes natural and normal after a few uses. I have a tilt head and a lift bowl and after using both for many years, I don’t really have a preference except that the big lift bowl always comes out for my heavy multigrain bread recipe because of its additional capacity.

The Professional 5 Plus and the Professional HD from Sam’s and Costco are near clones of the 600, but I feel the tubular bowl handle on the 600 vs. the less comfortable strap handle on the other two makes the 600 more desirable than either of the five quarts. It also has a rubber handle on bowl lift that is a nice touch as well as the slightly higher capacity bowl.

Last edited:
The problems with the older gear box have supposedly been resolved. Whirlpool made some design changes after they bought the KA line from Hobart (cheaper parts) that didn't work as they expected and so, from what I have read, they have gone back to using sturdier parts. The new line should not have those problems if, as Randy said, you read and follow the instructions!

As for choosing between the Pro (bowl lift) and Artisan (tilt head) models ... I think it is really a matter of personal preference - although Jim may have something there about the stability when kneading a heavy load. The routine you have to follow to remove the beater before removing the bowl is no problem and comes second-nature after a couple of times.

Thanks for the input .I just needed some reassurance and ammunition because my wife is going to have a cow when one of these shows up on my door step.Sorry to make you guys my scape goats but you kind of did tell me to do it.

I only had to justify the price to myself ... but when I figured out how much I could save just by baking my own bread I convinced myself real quick!

I am getting serious about buying a kithcen aid stand mixer, and I am curious if any of you guys have any experiance with proffesional 600, 6 qt line.I have read varried reveiws on these models.I want a machine that can handle double plus batches of pizza dough with ease.Any input would be great.

How often will you be making double batches of dough? Do you have a pizzeria or something?

Not very often but what I am really interested in is the grinding atachement as well as the sausage stuffing atachement.I bought a warring pro grinder and stuffer and it sucked.I am also really interested in the pasta maker/cutter.How well can this machine mix a dough with the consistancy of playdough such as egg noodles .I guess it really dose'nt matter though.

Not very often but what I am really interested in is the grinding atachement as well as the sausage stuffing atachement.I bought a warring pro grinder and stuffer and it sucked.I am also really interested in the pasta maker/cutter.How well can this machine mix a dough with the consistancy of playdough such as egg noodles .I guess it really dose'nt matter though.

The reason I ask is because I have the KA Classic (275W) and it does double batches of dough no problem. I would guess that with twice the power it would do them at least as well!

Artisan Vs Bowl Lift - redux

This thread, and the one about the Accolade being 86'ed, got me to thinking and I went and checked the specs on what KA currently offers in their stand mixer line ... and thought I might clarify what I said earlier about the only difference between the Artisan and the Pro being personal preference.

The Pro 450 is 4.5-qt and 300 Watts.

In the 5-qt arena you have the Artisan with a 325 Watt motor, the Pro (Heavy Duty Plus) is 325 Watt, and the Pro (Commercial) is 450 Watt.

The 6-qt models (Pro Line and Pro 600) are both 575 Watt.

So, if you are comparing the Artisan to a Pro 5-qt then the only difference would be preference. Comparing it to anything else is a matter of differences in size and power.

Last edited:
I Have the tile Artesan and I love it. I worked with the bowl lift on a floor stand. It managed 5 pounds of flour easily. In retrospect, I still prefer the bowl lift for large
quantity baking because of the beater. For me it was much easier to not have to play with the beater before I could remove the bowl.

wanna be...I suggest wearing a football helmet for a few days after it arrives. It won't help totally...maybe less blood spatter :ermm:

You will LOVE it!!! I probably use the meat grinder attachment more than anything and that's to make gazpacho! :LOL:

wanna be... I bought 6 processors of various ilk because I have no choice except to make our hamburger. None lasted more than 20 minutes because the motors would not stand up to heavy use. They were just pretty little counter decorations. I bought the KA Professional 670 and have been happy every since. I mixed a cake batter in it one day and had a cake with a super fine texture like a wedding cake. The KA machines will teach you something new everytime you use it. I loved my Artesan too, but it is a real counter accessory.

Back
Top Bottom