I've got some secrets!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leolady

Head Chef
I have been so busy lately you would not believe!:ROFLMAO:

Just this week I bought a very tiny 2 bedroom 1 bath 1930's bungalow cottage fixer upper. It is gonna cost so much to renovate because somebody ripped the interior walls down to the studs in every room but the bathroom and kitchen. There are pipes to fix, furnace, hot water heater, wiring, roof, and just a bunch of stuff.

But the place is cute kinda like a doll's house with arched doorways, wide simple trim [what there is left of it], and for it's size -- lots of windows. I am gonna make it into my version of a rose covered quaint cottage -- on a very strict budget.

The kitchen is pure 30s/40s with the original wood sink wall cabinetry. There is room on the opposite wall for a range and cabinet [Dad has a similar vintage base cabinet in his garage and I am stealing it! On the end wall there is room for my 50's Monkey Wards white refrigerator and a vintage rolling cart topped with butcher block.

When I measured I was disappointed to learn that my Crown 6 burner, 2 oven range is just too long to allow me to have the cabinet beside it. What to do?

Two days after I bought the house, I was driving there and passed my cousin's house. There in the front yard was a 1950's white 4 burner Chambers range - just needing cleaning and in great shape! I examined it carefully measured it [it will just fit], and took off to find my cousin and found out he was selling it for his church. We went back and forth for two days negotiating before I gave him his check for $160 today!:shock:

It will delivered to the house in just a few hours! It looks just like this one but with 4 burners and no thermo well!

img_826787_0_3f862ea35392ebda9ef73c0905936350.jpg

It's funny, my Monkey Wards refrigerator was given to me by a church; and my Chambers range was practically given to me by another church!:angel:

Am I blessed or what?:ohmy:

You really have scored a bargain! My mother had a Chambers stove when I was growing up. I learned to cook on it, and just loved it. My mom's had a well, the broiler and, I think 3 burners. Not sure. It's been a long time. Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck in your new adventure, and may you have many years of happiness in your cottage and enjoy many meals cooked on that wonderful stove.

Oh that sounds great!!! Keep us posted on the progress with pictures please.

I have been so busy lately you would not believe!:ROFLMAO:

Just this week I bought a very tiny 2 bedroom 1 bath 1930's bungalow cottage fixer upper. It is gonna cost so much to renovate because somebody ripped the interior walls down to the studs in every room but the bathroom and kitchen. There are pipes to fix, furnace, hot water heater, wiring, roof, and just a bunch of stuff.

But the place is cute kinda like a doll's house with arched doorways, wide simple trim [what there is left of it], and for it's size -- lots of windows. I am gonna make it into my version of a rose covered quaint cottage -- on a very strict budget.

The kitchen is pure 30s/40s with the original wood sink wall cabinetry. There is room on the opposite wall for a range and cabinet [Dad has a similar vintage base cabinet in his garage and I am stealing it! On the end wall there is room for my 50's Monkey Wards white refrigerator and a vintage rolling cart topped with butcher block.

When I measured I was disappointed to learn that my Crown 6 burner, 2 oven range is just too long to allow me to have the cabinet beside it. What to do?

Two days after I bought the house, I was driving there and passed my cousin's house. There in the front yard was a 1950's white 4 burner Chambers range - just needing cleaning and in great shape! I examined it carefully measured it [it will just fit], and took off to find my cousin and found out he was selling it for his church. We went back and forth for two days negotiating before I gave him his check for $160 today!:shock:

It will delivered to the house in just a few hours! It looks just like this one but with 4 burners and no thermo well!

img_826851_0_3f862ea35392ebda9ef73c0905936350.jpg

It's funny, my Monkey Wards refrigerator was given to me by a church; and my Chambers range was practically given to me by another church!:angel:

Am I blessed or what?:ohmy:
congrats!! the oven looks like rachel ray's 30 minute meals oven. thermo well? is that the broiler? it has 2 ovens?

Msmofet, a thermo well could be compared to the precursor to our crock-pot. One of the top units, usually one of the back ones, drops down into a "well" and a pot fits in the space so that foods can be slow-cooked. When not being used as a "well," the unit can be raised to it's normal top level to be used as a normal burner. At least, that's how the one we had worked.

When I was a child, my parents' Frigidaire stove had one and we used it often. It was a wonderful tool.

Msmofet, a thermo well could be compared to the precursor to our crock-pot. One of the top units, usually one of the back ones, drops down into a "well" and a pot fits in the space so that foods can be slow-cooked. When not being used as a "well," the unit can be raised to it's normal top level to be used as a normal burner. At least, that's how the one we had worked.

When I was a child, my parents' Frigidaire stove had one and we used it often. It was a wonderful tool.
wow thats cool. when i first moved out on my own (a long time ago shhhhhhh LOL). i rented a room and we all shared 2 kitchens. one stove had a built in griddle and the other had a built in Rotisserie. does that stove in the pic have 2 ovens? is the thermo that rectangle on the left? rachel ray's looks just like that and the rectangle on the left is a broiler.

Don't know about the ovens, but the thermo well is probably the rear right unit on the stove. If you look at the picture, there seems to be a lid-like thing on it. That's what our stove looked like.
the lid like thing is probably a broiler. one of the handles on the front raises the lid, you place your cookie sheet in and lower it. on 30 minute meals it looks like the burner is on the underside of the lid. but i am not positive. anywho it looks like a nice stove you have there.

What a wonderful adventure! Isn't it fun "nesting?" Enjoy your new digs and, yes, pictures please. Congratulations.

Thanks guys!

I am having fun making plans for the little place!

Photos will have to wait til someone better than I can take some digital photos. There is no electricity and I am just horrible at it -- I tried the other day and got nothing!:ohmy:

Yesterday I was totally ticked off!:mad:

http://www.imeem.com/artists/the_per...e-singlelp-ve/

We went to try to carry the enormous 5 ton cast iron behemoth [the Chambers gas range] into my house, and the dang thing won't fit through the door!:shock:

We are gonna have to get a heavy duty dolly and roll it to the front of the house, up three stairs to the front porch and leave it in the dining room until we widen the kitchen door to the dining room to open the room so we can eventually get the thing into the kitchen!:ohmy:

We was gonna widen the doorway anyway, but dang!:glare: We had to leave the durn thing on my back porch covered with a plastic tarp! But at least it is home.

In my small town I doubt anyone will try to steal it. If they do, when they try to lift it, they will go into cardiac arrest! You should have heard those 4 big men cussing! :ROFLMAO:

I bet some time this week we will be able to get the durn thing inside! :ermm:

I was minding my own business trying to catch the electrician at home when I ran across a small garage sale.

Of course I just had to stop!:LOL:

At the very back was a antique iron ice cream parlor set that I just loved! The chairs have arm rests, but the wood seats need repair/replacement. The table is missing the top, but the entire set including an appropriate size round mirror was only $25! And that included an antique iron floor lamp in great shape!:ohmy:

The chairs and table looks like this but with armrests!

img_828823_0_b92aebeb7fb747f922e3014f735b05ae.gif

It will look so cute painted white with upholstery and tablecloth to match my window valances -- sitting in a tiny corner of the kitchen. It will give me a spot to eat breakfast or read a cookbook!

Did I get a great deal or what?:rolleyes:

I was minding my own business trying to catch the electrician at home when I ran across a small garage sale.

Of course I just had to stop!:LOL:

At the very back was a antique iron ice cream parlor set that I just loved! The chairs have arm rests, but the wood seats need repair/replacement. The table is missing the top, but the entire set including an appropriate size round mirror was only $25! And that included an antique iron floor lamp in great shape!:ohmy:

The chairs and table looks like this but with armrests!

img_828829_0_b92aebeb7fb747f922e3014f735b05ae.gif

It will look so cute painted white with upholstery and tablecloth to match my window valances -- sitting in a tiny corner of the kitchen. It will give me a spot to eat breakfast or read a cookbook!

Did I get a great deal or what?:rolleyes:
HOLY COW!! YESSSSSSSSSS good job

Thanks guys!

Especially Katie! When I get her approval, I know I did good!

Besides which, you can hang on to them in case of a tornado, so you won't blow away!
I'm reminded of a big cast iron sink that was in my first house. I wanted a new stainless steal one, but the guys like to never got out the door with that thing...it weighed a ton. We gave it to some friends, and they are probably still using it.

Welcome to old home ownership! At least you're talented enough to do the work involved, I envy you that!

Don't know how talented I am but I have been busy! Here is a better photo of what the bistro stools look like.

img_833660_0_fc388da459d6e52c4bc2fb393b5f901b.jpg

I wanted to buy 2 more stools to match after I got the table and stools home. I looked online, and only found one pair! Negotiations are falling through so I can't get them. So the table and chairs will be used in the kitchen as planned.

It is cheaper to buy a nice used white wicker table and chairs for the dining room. So that's what I will do. I have bought the prettiest fabrics for the dining room just yesterday.

I will make the dining room curtains solid yellow with a narrow trim of this fabric on the sides.

img_833660_1_32973fbf3f286d728bb9725bcd9acf20.jpg
img_833660_2_d8a47559c81af6423074d80925be93b1.jpg
img_833660_1_32973fbf3f286d728bb9725bcd9acf20.jpg

This will be what I use for window valances and tablecloth.

img_833660_4_4d2615550139065560aec7acf07dab07.jpg

I will use the same red solid for seat cushions.

img_833660_5_5e3224fb7a6b5fd8c922f53e5c5b405b.jpg
img_833660_6_b2cf693d6af261fbe49bdf5de776e132.jpg

I really have to get sewing!!!:ohmy:

:wacko:I forgot to post a photo of my vintage tole chandelier which was the inspiration for the color scheme. I will touch up the rose tulips with red paint to make it match better.

img_833662_0_bd6b9fe90d22848655e033a1a95db311.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom