Juicer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Looking for new juicer. Used to have breville years ago. Not sure about it nowadays.
Please advice.

I don't have any up to date advice on juicers. We were reasonably happy with a Braun juicer, back in the 1970s. Only thing we didn't like was the plastic mesh filter. The thing that caught the pulp and kept it out of the juice. It was a nuisance to wash and they broke and had to be replaced regularly. But, carrot juice, from the big, fat, extra sweet carrots was delightful.

I have a Green Life GF 1000. Twin gear, masticating, slow juicer, can do other things but I don't, and it works very well, with one caveat. The two masticating gears have timing marks, and it can be assembled for use with the timing marks misaligned...and break. Not for the mechanically disinclined.

Mark wanted a juicer so I bought him one for his birthday a few years ago. It got used once. Noisy, hard to clean, takes up too much space, too many parts.

Just given an Omega VRT350. I was told it quit running, if I could fix it it's mine. They put the top on wrong, it works fine. Just juiced a couple bunches of cilantro and some celery. As good a quality juice as my Green Star GS1000, dry pulp, easier to clean, smaller footprint.

I gave up on electric juicers, they tend to bite into the pith and make the juice bitter. Instead I got a squeeze juicer with a huge handle (lotsa leverage for this below-average-sized gal). Perfect juice, every time. I got it from TheWebstaurantStore (dot com)

Of course that won't be helpful to you if you want to juice something other than citrus.

I am still using the green Jade glass juicer that was my mother's. Never fails me. I have finally learned. If I have to plug it in, I don't need it. And besides, I am trying to build up the strength in my hands and arms.

Right now my arms look like they came off a very small doll. Being skinny is not all it is cracked up to be.

Scale recommendation?

My kitchen scale died. Looking for something new. I only use scale fro bread making. Don't need anything too fancy as I do not make bread often enough.
One question I have is what is or what would be better, Flat top or Bowl top. If somebody has experience with both please advice.

Thank you in advance.

My kitchen scale died. Looking for something new. I only use scale fro bread making. Don't need anything too fancy as I do not make bread often enough.
One question I have is what is or what would be better, Flat top or Bowl top. If somebody has experience with both please advice.

Thank you in advance.

I would go for the flat top. The Oxo is a great scale and highly recommended by ATK. You can also pull the reading away from the scale. With the flat top, you can always tare the amount when you put the food on the scale. You can tare the food and/or the container before you go for the real weight of the food. You get a more accurate weight when you can tare your food.

For the bowl type, you have included the weight of the bowl when measuring.

Have I made this clear? I just woke up and saw your post of distress. Me, I have the bowl type. But then I haven't used it for more than two years.

I think the flat top is a better idea. You can use whichever bowl you want. You can use a plate if you want. You can use it for things that won't fit nicely in a bowl.

I think the flat top is a better idea. You can use whichever bowl you want. You can use a plate if you want. You can use it for things that won't fit nicely in a bowl.

What tl said. And me. Take a look at the Oxo. Reasonable priced, easy to use, and easy to understand. Just go to OxO.com

CharlieD, I got the KD8000 when I replaced my last scale, and I love it! It was designed for bread bakers, with a mode for making recipes using those percentage numbers you see in some recipes . I rarely use it, but it is very easy, when you want to increase or decrease a recipe. It has a capacity of over 17+ lbs/8,000 g, and has several modes, besides the % , and I keep mine on ounces, and it is accurate to .05 oz. And a tare button, which almost all have (but, as a friend found out, the hard way, not all, but that was years ago). Flat top, as others have suggested as best.
https://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-KD-...id=1560985899&s=gateway&sprefix=KD8000&sr=8-4

I use my scale almost every day, unless I'm just eating leftovers, like today! I use it to weigh out, rather than measure out, all those Asian ingredients, FI, when I do a mise en place. And I have the weights of almost every SS bowl engraved on the side, and the weights memorized, pretty much! Even with a tare button, sometimes things are already in the bowl, and I want to find the weight of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom