Just got a food processor for xmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything.

Grinding nuts
Making pesto
Mayonnaise
salsa
purees
dough
dried fruit

the list goes on and on and on....

Lol, I think Vera summed it up, Everything!

Great multi-tasking tool. From pureeing, to milling, emulsions, to grating, by far the best time saver in the kitchen.

Make Great Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor.

We only can get coarse granulated sugar and cornmeal over here and so into the food processor they go-----doesn't come out fine like what we buy over in the states but at least they aren't boulder-sized either and are workable in recipes. So my processor is invaluable for that as well as EVERYTHING!

Pizza,pie, and pasta dough.
Slicing large quantities of mushrooms. Grating carrots. Whizzing parsley.
Don't use it for chopping veggies like celery or onions.
Bread and cracker crumbs from stale bread.
Grating hard cheeses.
Be careful using it on very hard things or you will etch or maybe even crack your bowl.

Actually for not that much.Got used to cooking before they were even invented and so I just sorta do things the way I used to.But it does come in handy when I need to chop a bunch of things.Am still pretty fast with a chef knife and find it quicker than cleaning the gizmo.So just don't pull it out that often.

Pate!

Just toss in leftover meat/shrimp/whatever. Add a few Tablespoons of butter, a little onion and garlic, worchestershire sauce, season to taste...and voila.

Saltygreasybacon said:
Hi all, just got a black and decker 600 watt food processor from the dw. I've never had one and was wondering what you all use yours for.

Hey sweet!! I got one for christmas too, but mine is only 500 watts. I played around with some zuchinni yesterday. I think I'll process all the leftovers today just to see what it can do.

Half Baked said:
Pate!

Just toss in leftover meat/shrimp/whatever. Add a few Tablespoons of butter, a little onion and garlic, worchestershire sauce, season to taste...and voila.

Thanks for the idea Half Baked. I don't know why I never thought of that.

The FP is great for things like slicing, shredding, chopping, mincing, mixing or blending. I use mine to chop nuts, make bread crumbs, cut fat into the dry ingredients for pastry doughs (like a pastry cutter), grate cheese, onions, etc. (like a box grater); slice vegetables or meats thin (like a mandoline), etc.

The thing I do not like using it for is working with liquids - like making emulsions (like mayonaise) or purees (like soups). I use a blender or a stick blender ... much less chance of a mess. The center column of the bowl is shorter than the outside height of the bowl ... I have found that if you add liquid any higher than 2/3 - 3/4 up the center column it will be sucked up and leak all over the place. Of course, if you're making a meat puree, like for pate, that wouldn't be a problem.

Here are links to some Food Processor Recipes sites that might you some more ideas.

Next to one of my 3 stand mixers, I like to use the food processor for large chopping, slicing and mincing jobs.

I still have yet to use the shredding disk, but I'm sure that it will be used sooner or later.

I love my processor. I find myself using for mainly making doughs as I enjoy using my knife and it's usually quicker that way too if you include clean up time. Although the motor does get a little warm when my peppers are ripe and its hot sauce time.

JDP

You will be able to do many things with your new food processor. Usually they come with receipes but I quess you didn't get one. Large chopping, slicing, mincing, use it for leftovers and you can create a special something.

Great to make a very healthly drink by putting carrots, celery, etc.

Enjoy.

The motor in your machine should be thermally protected - meaning that it should shut off if it overheats, resetting itself when it cools off.

Yes, I love my machine also. It's the most powerful one that you can ever buy!!
The best one that I've ever owned.

Last edited:
I just got the 14 cup from Cuisanart. I am excited about making those blended and pureed soups. Also kneading bread.

Pesto is probably the thing I make more than anything else
Grating cheese
basil/garlic oil
salad dressings as long as the quantity is large enough
I have even chopped onions and celery with no problem - just use the pulse feature
shredding cabbage
making dough
Again, use the pulse feature for pico de gallo

When I do onions for instance I will cut them in quarters or eighths if they are big. It helps to not use REALLY big pieces.

I keep mine out and use it all the time but now that you ask I can't even think about what I used it for the other day - oh, never mind - it was pesto :rolleyes:

You will like your FP that's for sure. Not knowing what kind of counter space you have try keeping it out for a couple months - you will be more inclined to take advantage of it IMHO.

...okay, please tell me that I'm not the only one who has done this.

I was making salsa verde this morning as sort of an experiment and I noticed little black pieces of something in the salsa.

Well you know that little removable sleeve thats covers at least one of the blades in your food processor? Yup, it proccessed quite nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom