K.A mixer artisan or classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom was KA phobic, she bought me one when I was still living at home, and when I moved away, I had no place to put it, but I told her that I would be back for it eventually.

After a while my mom decided to make friends with it. When I came to pick it up, she kind of pouted a little :LOL:. Guess what I bought my mom that year for Christmas?

How tall when tilted?

I want to be sure the tilt-head model can operate beneath my cabinets. Can anyone tell me how tall it is when the head is raised?

Kitchen Aid support said 17.3"
Hmm.........I have exactly 18" from counter to cabinet. Will I regret choosing the tilt-head? (The lifting bowl style seems cumbersome for scraping the bowl and adding ingredients.)

The first KA I got was a 2nd hand Professional 600 6qt. I found out it was broke and needed a new worm gear. This model was about 7 years old, and it was discontinued. Every KA parts/repair shop I called had no old stock of this worm gear.

After a couple of calls, I started to ask the parts/repair people what model of KA they would recommend. They all said any of the KA mixers with the black dots on the heads (replaceable motor bushings). The design of those mixers have been around for many many many years, and they always have parts of them. They also said the newer style of KA mixers with no black dots, tend to get outdated in a few years.

Last edited:
Parts availability issues with newer design KitchenAid mixers appears to be limited to early models manufactured between 2000 and 2002 and limited to the Original Epicurean model and early Professional 6 models. On the used market, I would avoid all Epicureans and look very closely at a Professional 6 because some of them had the original 53 tooth worm gear and some have the current 60 tooth worm gear and three piece thrust washer.

Since at least 2004, the parts used in these mixers have not changed or are interchangeable with previous parts so parts availability should not be issue with the Professional 600, Professional 5 Plus, Professional HD, or Deluxe Edition 6 quart mixers.

Classic Style mixers with replaceable brushes share internal parts, but KitchenAid only supports Solid State mixers built after 1979. It is very difficult to impossible to find parts for Hobart KitchenaAid K5-A, K45, or K-4B mixers manufactured before 1979.

I have the Classic and make bread with it. No problems. I do stop the machine every so often, because I can feel the motor getting warm. But I am never in a rush so time is not a problem for me. And I would rather finish kneading the dough by hand. I think you need to get your hands on the dough to be able to tell when it is done and ready for rising.

For those who find that you have to stop the machine to scrape down the sides a nuisance, KA sells a paddle that is superior to their standard one. I highly recommend it. I have one and the one that came with my machine is growing cobwebs. Stopping the machine and scraping down the sides was a constant source of irritation to me. It gets all the ingredients in the bottom of the bowl also.

I remember the original Sunbeam mixer with the controls on the back end of the head. The beaters stayed stationary and the bowl turned. You could adjust the bowl to sit offset to the side. No problem with scraping the bowl down. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom