KA Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mi77915

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am fairly new to baking and I am in the market for a stand mixer. I have been doing a lot of research on the subject and have pretty much decided that the KA mixer is the one to get.

I am a single father on a budget trying to raise (2) teenagers alone. No family around to help, just me. I have been looking on eBay to see if I could find some deals there. I have come across a couple that look good, but would like your opinions.

There is a brand new, still in the box 250 watt model that is ending soon with not many bids on it.
The others are 325 - 450 watt refurbished models.

Obviously, the higher the wattage, the more powerful the unit is. My question is this: I only plan on baking a few times a month, not daily. Would the lower wattage machines be okay for an occasional baker?

Hey Tom. I had posted here http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/sunbeam-mixer-w-meat-grinder-help-53426.html

about a vintage mixer I picked up on a whim. Since then i looked a a couple of new ones and they dont seem to be built as well. I have seen alot of somewhat vintage ones on ebay that are in much better shape than mine that are priced lower than new plasticky ones.

On the Mixer I will say they are cool I never thought about buying one because i am not a baker really but I love the thing.

IMHO for occassional use you should be fine with a lower wattage model.... again I am not a baker really so hopefully someone will have more on that. The stand mixer in general is a great tool though you will enjoy it.

I bought a vintage kitchen aid mixer on eBay and feel this is the last one I will probably have to buy. I had burned out the motor on a newer kitchen aid mixer and bought a Hobart Kitchen Aid to replace the cheaper newer model. Look for Hobart as the maker of the motor, or the K5 series (K5-A or K5SS) There used to be a lot of K5-A's on eBay, but not so many lately. Hobart made motors for the reliable mixers, Whirlpool now owns/makes Kitchen Aid. The Hobart made motors will last a few lifetimes.

Thank you both for your comments and suggestions! Some of the KA mixers that I see on eBay are factory refurbished - still in the box, have any of you heard good or not-so-good things in regards to refurbished KA products?
About a year and a half ago, I purchased a refurbished Cuisinart coffee maker, and as of today, I have had no problems what so ever with it.
I am just curious if anyone has purchased a refurbished KA mixer?

I have the 5 qt kitchenaid stand mixer and just love it!

When I bought it, I bought it for making dough & baking. I found that I had to have as many attachments as I could and I often make homemade pasta with mine and ice cream too!

I have a 6 quart 600 watt pro model KA that was a graduation present from my whole family when I finished culinary school.

While I absolutely love it and there are many things in my catering business that require that power, this year I asked for a simple old fashioned electric hand mixer because sometimes the KA is too over the top.

In jobs I have used the 250 watt 5 quart and it was used like 20 times a day every day and it worked great....if that is still available, go for it!

Well, I "bit-the bullet" and bought a KA mixer! After reading all the comments and suggestions, I had to rethink everything and decided to get the KA! I did not get the most expensive one, but I did get the KSM95, which is a 300 watt mixer. I came across this mixer on sale locally today.

I would like to thank all of you for your input in regards to this thread. It certainly helped me decide which mixer to get.

Thanks again to all of you,

Well, I "bit-the bullet" and bought a KA mixer! After reading all the comments and suggestions, I had to rethink everything and decided to get the KA! I did not get the most expensive one, but I did get the KSM95, which is a 300 watt mixer. I came across this mixer on sale locally today.

I would like to thank all of you for your input in regards to this thread. It certainly helped me decide which mixer to get.

Thanks again to all of you,

WTG Tom! I think you'll be very happy with KA mixer. Thanks to mine (I got it last year for Christmas) I have expanded into many realms of cooking. There's a book you might want to get, specifically for your KA mixer. It includes everything from cookies & cakes, to dog biscuits, LOL! Here's a link:

Amazon.com: The Mixer Bible: Over 300 Recipes For Your Stand Mixer: Meredith Deeds, Carla Snyder: Books

Happy Mixing,

Janine

Congratulations, Tom!!! You will never look back. You have a good machine there! Report back when you have made a few things and tell us how you like it!

Congratulations!! I love mine and you will love yours, this may sound silly but give it a name. what color did you get?

Well, I did use my new mixer this morning to make a batch of cookies for my daughter. WOW, this IS a nice mixer!!! It has plenty of power and did an excellent job of mixing all the ingredients.
I can see why you love your KA mixer, it is an awesome machine!!

Now, what can I make next????? :)

Congratulations!! I love mine and you will love yours, this may sound silly but give it a name. what color did you get?
As far as a name, I'll have to think about that for a while. What color? Well, I got white to match the other appliances in my kitchen.

LOL!

I am glad the "naming" of KA mixers is still going strong. Who knew when I started it years ago, it would become a real fad?

A KA mixer was the only kitchen appliance my wife asked for when we got married. That was 15 years ago. It still looks brand new. The only reason the guy at the repair shop (I dropped the plastic bowl cover in it 6 months ago while it was running, bad move on my part) knew how old it was is because they stopped making that color Green in 1995. There was a small part that had to be changed that is designed to break so that if something drops in the mixer, the motor will not burn up. I mix ground beef in it to make hamburgers. It ain't just for cake batter! Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Glad you're enjoying your new mixer. I bought a 5qt. refurb and the motor started making a horrible noise two days after the 90 day warranty expired. But, I continued to use it anyway, with no untoward results (other than the noise at the lower speeds). I'm a bread baker and my recipes are of the whole grain variety and if I'm going to mess around baking, I'm going to make double recipes, which meant I needed to kick it up a notch. I got the 6qt. and it's almost too big for a single cake recipe, but my black Kitchenaid and me are inseparable. Now, I have to think of a name for it. Maybe I'll start a contest amongst my family members and whoever gets naming rights will get some baked goody or other.

I too am searching for a stand mixer, I didn't bake all that much but am getting into it more and some batters are way too thick for a wooden spoon, which has been my "stand" mixer for my whole life. Reading reviews on Amazon, about half of the people give Kitchen Aide five stars and the other half have had theirs fall apart. Am also considering a Cuisinart 5 qt. and, ga$p, a Viking. The Kitchen Aide is the less expensive one so would rather spend less $ and the reviews here are encouraging, but am willing to spend a bit more for something that won't break my heart.

I had a bad experience with Kitchenaid mixers and just posted a thread about it. Consider this if you're looking to purchase one. Either get a different brand or a bowl-lift model with a direct drive transmission.

Hi Laurel, thanks for the reply! I just got back from shopping, I got a KA Professional 600 (it is a bowl lift model, whew). After much more research I found a reviewer on Amazon who had spoken with a KA rep. and learned that if the 600 series has an "x" in it's model number it has an all steel gear transmission, not plastic, that the models manufactured after the first quarter of the year in 2007 have this. And it is a direct drive (which is always good).

A lot of people go by what Consumer Reports, and Cooks Illustrated recommend but machines there are tested for performance on new machines and not for longevity, unfortunately that seems to be the hapless job of the consumer. T'ain't right.

O.K. now I have to crow a bit, I downloaded a 20% coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond, and today is the last day for a 25% rebate for an attachment, so, with those discounts and when I get my stimulus check, I will have paid $87.08 (this includes tax) for this mixer with a slicer/shredder attachment (which was what influenced my decision, I just love shredded carrots, no more shredded knuckles!).

My fingers are crossed, I hope this critter out lives me and I plan on being here a Looong time!

Back
Top Bottom