Kitchen Aid. Has anyone taken one apart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crash said:
While I found a whole bunch of websites that sell the part for about $12.00, all were out of stock. One would think, since this is the only gear prone to failure, that it would be in stock everywhere.

Logic would suggest that this gear's high failure rate is pricisely the reason it's NOT in stock.

Any engineering whizzes here? It would seem stupid to put a vulnerable plastic gear in a metal gear train, but maybe the design philosophy is to sacrifice the plastic gear to keep from trashing the entire gear train, Any thoughts on that, y'all?

Buck said:
Excellent point!

It just dawned on me why my K'Aid K5SSWH might not have been able to accept the use of the grinder attachment!!

Because of this cheap inferior part that you suggest is sometimes like trying to find a needle in a haystack, Buck!!

Given the fact that my newer K5SSWH had wimped out when the grinder was being used with it, and the much older K45SS didn't flinch at all, I'd say that there is in fact a cheap and flimsily-made drive lug for the accessory port!!

I think I'm beginning to put 2 & 2 together, and have come to the realization that the hub drive on later K'Aid Stand Mixers is just for show. A member at Epinions.com has also told me that the grain mill attachment can't be used either!!

What a shame!!

Buck said:
Logic would suggest that this gear's high failure rate is pricisely the reason it's NOT in stock.

Any engineering whizzes here? It would seem stupid to put a vulnerable plastic gear in a metal gear train, but maybe the design philosophy is to sacrifice the plastic gear to keep from trashing the entire gear train, Any thoughts on that, y'all?

I think it's more to save fingers and hands.;)

Hello everyone but especially Crash. This is a fascinating thread. And a bad ad for KA. I would have assumed that the sturdy-looking exterior would have been matched by a sturdy interior. Evidently not.

The plastic gear is designed to be a sacrificial gear .This one did exactly what it was supposed to do. It's an easy enough fix and cheap when you get the part online.The design has been used since the Hobart days [yes, the old Hobart KAs have the same plastic sacrificial gear] .

The newer ones with the plastic gear cover have all metal gears and instead of the sacrificial gear they have a shut off feature if overloaded. I prefer the sacrificial gear.Easier to fix yourself if something goes .Of course neither of my KAs with the new style gears have had any problems at all so I don't kow that for sure.

Not affiliated with KA just a multiple KA owner who loves her KAs.

According to the info and cut-away on the box, the onyx color K'Aid Artisan Stand Mixer now supposedly has an all-metal transmission.

But I don't know if this plastic gear is still used. I once sent an e-mail to K'Aid, asking them if their mixer models below the Pro 500 and Pro 600 models have metal transmissions inside of them.

They responded by saying that the K45SS, K5SS and KSM90 all have nylon gears, designed so that if they ever were to fail, the motor would be saved, which would eliminate the expensive cost of replacing the motor.

And BTW, the grinder attachment is the one that has the mixer using the most power or torque, I was told.

Last edited:
you`de think they`de make it a little easier to gain access to that part though and a little less mucky.
that`s probably why the belts are used in some, much easier to replace and does a similar job.

I remember when food processors were becoming very popular in the late '70s. Some of them had belts. Now the majority of them have direct drive.

I got my gear today. It cost $11.50 + $6.95 for shipping. It arrived a week later in a small envelope with a 63 cent stamp. Gotta love free enterprise.:rolleyes:

That was from Marbeck.com.

Anyhow, could I use regular ball bearing grease to repack the gear box?

There's probably some grease available that's similar to the one that was there.

It can either be picked up at Home Depot, Lowe's, or an auto parts store, such as Lappens, Auto Zone or Pep Boys.

Also, you might want to order another gear just in case this were to happen again.

159_5970.JPG

The manual asked to use 6 oz. of "Shell Darina #2" lubricant, nowhere to be found in my area. This is the one I was most comfortable with.
It's non toxic and rated to 475F. It's the same color as petroleum jelly.

As you can see the machine is assembled and works great.

Thanks again everyone.

That's right! You could have used some Vaseline.

But I'm glad you got it fixed!! Maybe I'll send mine to you if it needs to be fixed.

Treese said:
Dear Crash... I know this is rather late, but it's what I've done to repair a gear in my Kitchenaid. Remove the metal strip. Underneath are four screws to remove the top. Four more screws reveal the gears or you can follow the directions at the following site: Fix Your KitchenAid Mixer The grease you will need and other parts can be purchased at: Kitchen Aid Mixer Parts, Genuine Kitchen Aid Gears, Grease, and Repair Parts (Buy-it-now-store.com)

I can't understand it.

Looks like most of the transmission is metal exept for that little part. And to think that that inferior part is what powers the whole mixer from the motor!!

alternative to Darina 2

The manual asked to use 6 oz. of "Shell Darina #2" lubricant, nowhere to be found in my area.

Castrol Spheerol B2 Bearing grease is a fine alternative to Shell Darina 2

For vintage Kitchenaid service, overhaul and repair:
atomic-era-machine.com

Mike

Great website!

I remember the old 4C Stand Mixer. It was the next one down below the K45.
K'Aid stopped making it, I believe, in the mid '70s.

Back
Top Bottom