Kitchen Aid. Has anyone taken one apart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if only you lived closer dude, I`de have the thing fixed in almost no time :(

I just did a 1960`s Kenwood a few days ago too, could have made a session of it! :)

not having seen one, there could be a Multitude of little silly things wrong, a stripped (teeth missing gear is Very unlikely!).
some use a belt drive to a gear train, occasionaly the belt can break, the gear train won`t engage due to a grease clog that can stop the enagement pin from full travel.

look for the Simple things 1`st.

I`ve even seen some where screws have simply come loose and fallen out.

attatchment "thingy" doesn`t help much, got a pic?

YT2095 said:
if only you lived closer dude, I`de have the thing fixed in almost no time :(

I just did a 1960`s Kenwood a few days ago too, could have made a session of it! :)

not having seen one, there could be a Multitude of little silly things wrong, a stripped (teeth missing gear is Very unlikely!).
some use a belt drive to a gear train, occasionaly the belt can break, the gear train won`t engage due to a grease clog that can stop the enagement pin from full travel.

look for the Simple things 1`st.

I`ve even seen some where screws have simply come loose and fallen out.

attatchment "thingy" doesn`t help much, got a pic?
Seriously? You need a photo of a KA?:)
Here you go:
159_5921.JPG

The thingy that holds the attatchments doesn't turn.

cool, and yes I did need a photo, I`ve never seen one before.
now that`s out of the way...

there should be on the top of that hood a nut about 3/4 inch, it`ll be just above the bit that doesn`t turn (the whisk bowl bit).
at the Other end where the blender sticks onto there should be a cap/cover to remove
take that cap cover off.

inside that cover should be a little pip/rod about 1/4 inch long, and a coresponding hole on the device itself where that sticks into when in the closed postion.

tell me if that makes any sense to you so far!

also under that cover where the blender goes should be a metal plate with 3 screws in it (it Might Have 4 though).

Crash stay with me here, time is short this end, it`s already 19:36 here, what I can tell you is that the motor is in the upright part of the apparatus, that drives the blender on the top directly, from there will be a belt to an enclosed gear train (in a cast alu box), there`s a pin that needs to be depressed in order to engage that belt to the gear train.

the 3 (maybe 4 screws) under the blender bit need to be taken out and the plastic clip at the Far end of the hood needs to be romoved as well as the knod that releases it (it`s only a plastic slip-on), then you`ll need to undo that nut at the top.

the Hood should slip off quite easily then, allong you have a good look.

I can`t stay here, I need to do food and bed, let me know how it goes and ANY observations you make (No mater how Trivial it may seem) I`ve never fixed such a thing Over the Internet before :)

I thought that the transmission (gear train) was direct drive.

Anyway, I once tried to get into both of mine, but I couldn't, so I left them alone.

Corey123, if anyone knew how to do this it would have been you. This is how far I got:
159_5927.JPG

I should at least get a discount at the repair shop for getting it this far.;)

As a service electrician our shop charged more for basket [meaning they came into the shop in one] than just to fix something. I'm lucky twice. there is a Kitchen Aid authorised repair in Seattle [Ajax Electric] that is relatively cheap. I suspect there is in most cities.

I do believe that KA is all direct- gears not belts.

Good Luck.

Robt said:
As a service electrician our shop charged more for basket [meaning they came into the shop in one] than just to fix something. I'm lucky twice. there is a Kitchen Aid authorised repair in Seattle [Ajax Electric] that is relatively cheap. I suspect there is in most cities.

I do believe that KA is all direct- gears not belts.

Good Luck.

Trust me, it IS. I knew this for years, but the diagram certainly and officially confirms it. That there is NO belt in the motor heads.

My Electrolux Assistant is belt drive, as was a Kenwood mixer that I once had.

To find out for yourself, just go to the website page that YT has just given. The diagram shows a cutaway of the parts, and no belt is shown.

Crash, the part that you're trying to gain access to is inside the mixer head. Does it require dismantling the planetary gears to get at it? if so, that must be a nightmare. Looks like you used a hammer and other tools to get THIS far.

I just wanted to see if the later models of the K5SS had that infamous plastic gearbox, but I don't think it does, according to the diagram.

Last edited:
yeah, I`ve seen plenty with belts too, some with toothed belts also.

that Diag should certainly help though, if nothing else it`ll tell you what can be taken appart and assist in re-building it too.

it might be something daft like a gear pin come loose.

Apparently I had done everything right. Just couldn't pry the motor case from the bottom cover. The trick was to reattach the pedestal and use that for leverage.
And here is the problem:
159_5928.JPG

159_5929.JPG

That's the only plastic gear.

Last edited:
That is one dramatic picture. At the risk of asking a stupid question, is it fixable? Can you buy a spare part to repair it?

Crash said:
Thanks for the link YT2095. The wesite has the full sevice manual (bottom left).

Thanks again.

You`re Quite welcome :)

also I didn`t mean to be wrong about the belt idea it`s just that all that I`ve seen so far of that shape have incorporated a Belt to the gear train that runs along the top arm to the mixer part, the only thing ever that was Direct drive was right from the motor shaft to the Blender attatchment that sat ontop, Corey will know what I mean when he thinks of his Kenwood.

I`m pleased all`s well thus far and the the prob is Identified *OUCH!*
it really did a number on that sucker!
I`m fairly confident that the link I gave will supply replacement parts also, although it Might be prudent to identify that part name and or number code and see if there`s a Metal replacement instead, Google should some give Some idea of this, as I`m certain you`re not the only one to have experienced this, so it must be a Known problem :)

all the best with it dude! let me/US know the outcome ;)

Yes YT2095, you're right!!

The blender drive socket sat directly on top of the motor, and was powered by it. I don't have that mixer now. That was years ago when I had it.

And BTW, now I remember! The unit's overload protection would shut off the machine right when I was making cake batter. It was a pain.

Just like the Electrolux Assistant (not broken). Only thing is, to use that drive socket for an accessory like the blender, the machine has to be turned on its left side. But it IS connected directly to the motor.

Other accessories such as the grinder, is powered by the drive socket that powers and spins the bowl. This is the transmission's job.

Crash, I always knew that K'Aid mixers were lubricated, but that looks like a bit much!

Last edited:
I'm beginning to wonder if MY 20-year-old K45SS looks like that inside.

But I think everyone knows the old saying; "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
So I decided not to go looking for trouble.

Anywhoo, hear's another website that you can visit, Crash. It's parts for your needs.

They should have some of the parts that you might need to overhaul you K'Aid Stand Mixer. Just type in the model number in the small box - in this case, it would be K45SS. Both this model and the K5SSWH pretty much use the same identical parts for the inner workings of the mixer.

Last edited:
Snoop Puss said:
That is one dramatic picture. At the risk of asking a stupid question, is it fixable? Can you buy a spare part to repair it?

It only looks dramatic. Other than the stripped plastic worm gear, there is nothing wrong. The messy stuff is grease.

Yes it's fixable. The part? That's another story. While I found a whole bunch of websites that sell the part for about $12.00, all were out of stock. One would think, since this is the only gear prone to failure, that it would be in stock everywhere.

I called KA and got the name of the closest KA service center (an hour away). They had the part for $50, I can only imagine how much they would have charge to install it as well.

I finally found one at Marbec.com $19.99 delivered.

Considering the price of a new machine, this is a cheap fix.
One thing I need to consider, is whether I should remove all the grease and replace it with new stuff.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do that, since you're already doing "surgery" on it now.

Some of the worn plastic from the gear that wore out could be lodged in that grease, and lurking to create another "disease" for the mixer.

Back
Top Bottom