Kitchen caculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrDEB

Assistant Cook
I dabble in electronics as well as cooking with my wife of 48 years.
I got an idea about designing a WEIGHTS N MEASURE calculator for the kitchen where the user inputs metric/imperial(u.s. measure) then input ounces, cups, grams etc. and it outputs the desired conversion.
Yes a smartphone would maybe do the same but?
would this be a helpful item to have?
Since the covid crisis my wife and I have been baking bread and using various recipes from the British baking show along with cooking shows on tv.

I have a Google Home speaker in my kitchen... I just ask it for the conversion I want. It is one less thing needing to be touched (and kept clean), and works great!

:LOL: Scott! you seem to have 'Google Everything" what happens when there is a power failure? :LOL:

are you locked out of the house? :rolleyes:

There are a number of apps that will convert weights and measures. I personally would prefer that to a separate piece of equipment.

Typically, when I'm cooking from a recipe, I read it before I start making the dish and pencil in any conversions I need before I start, using the calculator on my phone. You do need to know a few conversion constants to start.

:LOL: Scott! you seem to have 'Google Everything" what happens when there is a power failure? :LOL:

are you locked out of the house? :rolleyes:

:LOL: Since PG&E lit half the state on fire via their neglected, crumbling infrastructure, power outages have become a real issue these days. I'm never locked out as I have a keypad on the garage door, and the opener has a battery backup.

As for what stops working depends on the power outage. If it is one of PG&E's PSBS events, the internet soon follows the power, and that renders Google, Amazon, and SmartThings stuff useless. However most of my lighting is Philips Hue which also has a local API that does not require the internet connection. So once the generator is rolling I can control all the lites from a phone or tablet.

I think what you are looking for is to design an app for the phone. If you are going to do that you can do much more.

For one, scale up or down. Sometimes the amount from the original is too much or not enough. ZAM, fixed.

I would add a few timers, three I think. All separate, and different tones of course.

I am sure others can think of more.

T

My battery operated, digital scale can be set to ounces, pounds, grams, or kilos. If the measurements are by weight, I don't need to convert. My liquid measuring cups are marked in ounces, cups, quarts, centilitres, and litres. Again, I don't need to convert.

I mostly do conversions from US volume to weight. For that, I need to look up what I am measuring, because a cup of flour doesn't weigh as much as a cup of milk, etc. For some recipes where several ingredients get mixed together, weighing is easier. I put the bowl on the scale. Zero it. Add the correct weight of item one. Zero it. Add the correct weight of item two and continue in that fashion all the ingredients are in the bowl. Less washing up that way.

Yes, sometimes I measure something by volume and then weigh it, so I will know the conversion for that particular ingredient and make a note of it with the recipe.

There are a number of apps that will convert weights and measures. I personally would prefer that to a separate piece of equipment.

Typically, when I'm cooking from a recipe, I read it before I start making the dish and pencil in any conversions I need before I start, using the calculator on my phone. You do need to know a few conversion constants to start.
Which phone converter app do you use?

"Last year, I turned 22 pounds of Roma tomatoes into tomato paste!"

How much did it yield, six ounces ?

I know how much it takes, we had a good tomato garden and took to processing. The whole garden made one pot of spaghetti sauce. It was good, but there went the whole crop.

T

I know how much it takes, we had a good tomato garden and took to processing. The whole garden made one pot of spaghetti sauce. It was good, but there went the whole crop.

T
I didn't weigh it, but I froze it in ice-cube trays that hold 2 tablespoons and I have around 30 of them left after a year.

T

One pot of sauce is not a measurement.

I had a smallish plot of roma tomatoes and I canned about a dozen pints, plus made gazpacho for 2 and 2 spaghetti meals for 2.

One pot of sauce is not a measurement.

I had a smallish plot of roma tomatoes and I canned about a dozen pints, plus made gazpacho for 2 and 2 spaghetti meals for 2.
Yes, Roma tomatoes have a lot more "meat" to them, so they're better for sauce and paste. Larger tomatoes have a lot more water to cook off to make sauce.

"Yes, Roma tomatoes have a lot more "meat" to them..."

Yes, but in any case, I cut them equatorially. That means as if the equator of the Earth. Separate the top and the bottom. That exposes it all, then squeeze into a container or something.

Now this will be the seeds, but I have found that the liquid from that part is what creates the scum on top when you boil the eekskitz out of them.

Actually I like it to be in my big pots of sauce, I stir the grease in five ties but it is like a skin from the heat and comes off in a breeze. But it may have added to the flavor, can't say either way. Later in the cook, I skim the grease off and the scum comes in handy to tell where it is.

T

Back
Top Bottom