Kitchenaid mixer broken :'(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dblake

Assistant Cook
So I had this bright idea to paint my kitchenaid mixer because it needed a face lift. It was a hand me down from my mom to my sisters and then me because they got new ones. Well I took out most of the screws so I could get it all touched up. When I put it back together and tried turning it on something on the inside sparked and now it will not turn on. PLEASE PLEASE help me. I haven't had the heart to tell my mom I broke it yet.

Sounds like an electrical problem. Open it back up and see if you misconnected of failed to connect a wire, or accidently scraped or pinched a bare spot on one.

Be sure to unplug the mixer before working on anything electrical inside it. It's likely either a loose screw that holds a wire in place or the wire got pinched between a couple of metal parts.
Also, you might try checking the circuit breaker for the outlet that the mixer was plugged into. You might find, and fix, the problem that caused the arc but if the breaker is tripped you won't know if the mixer is working since you won't have power at that outlet.

I actually didn't mess with the screws by the wires and plug in. But I did take out the two big black screws on the sides of the motor shell. That is also were the spark came from. Also I have checked the braker but I think it just poped the plug in because it is one that has a reset button on it.

I actually didn't mess with the screws by the wires and plug in. But I did take out the two big black screws on the sides of the motor shell. That is also were the spark came from. Also I have checked the braker but I think it just poped the plug in because it is one that has a reset button on it.
Those big black screws screws are likely the motor brush screws. You MIGHT be able to solve the problem by installing a new set of brushes.
Amazon.com: Motor brush and spring, fits Kitchenaid mixers.: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited:
It's really hard to say much at a distance, but I'll add this. You don't say just how old this mixer is. If it's very old, like several decades old, wire insulation can break down and flake off, especially if you disturb it. Then, of course, it may leave bare wire that can short against the case or some internal part. It is of course shorting, which is the source of the spark and the thrown breaker.

I'm guessing you took the covers off to paint them. Take them off again, and look at the insulation of any exposed wiring. Look as well for any wire that you may have pinch while putting it back together. Old wires supplying power to motors are often brittle due to the heat of the running motor. I see it a great deal with fine old electric fans, the ones made back when they had real motors. If you find that the insulation has broken down, I would suggest taking it to someone comfortable working with electrical devices, so they can replace the wire or repair the insulation. Repairing motor wiring can be tricky, because the wire may well run all the way down into the motor windings, and it may be difficult to replace the bad portion.

Such a person can also check by meter for any other short to the case, which is important, even though you are using a ground fault interrupter that we now know is working.

If you find that kind of problem don't fret about it being your doing. If it is so old that the insulation is breaking down, it simply its age, and you may have discovered a problem that would have surfaced eventually, perhaps not while plugged into an interrupter.

Those big black screws screws are likely the motor brush screws. You MIGHT be able to solve the problem by installing a new set of brushes.
Amazon.com: Motor brush and spring, fits Kitchenaid mixers.: Kitchen & Dining

Those two big black screws are most definitely the motor brush covers. Did you take, or did anything pop or fall out of the holes? If yes, did you find and re-insert the brushes and springs...properly? Carbon brush end in first, spring end in last.

When motor brushes are not installed correctly, the usual symptom is that the mixer will simply not run. Sparking at the armature could be cause for concern.

In addition to placing the correct end of the brush in the mixer, it has to be installed in the correct orientation. Modern Solid State Mixers have brushes with a chamfered edge to help guide correct orientation. Older mixers had square brushes that make them a bit more difficult to install correctly.

Convince your family that you really need a new KA mixer of your very own. Or take it to your local Mr. Fix-It shop. I am sure it must be out of warranty by now.

Back
Top Bottom