KitchenAid Mixer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One review I read said it broke on cookie dough.. All I'm saying is the KA brand is about 3 times the price, but it's at least that many times tougher. If I used my mixer as much as some of you do, there wouldn't even be any question. I use mine less than once a month and I still sprung for quality. To each his own though.

That's not what you said. Check back.

I believe the scraper paddle is intended for batters rather than doughs.

Exactly! It can be used for light cookie doughs. But when it comes to adding nuts and other hard materials such as nuts, chocolate chips and M&Ms you have to use common sense. Oatmeal cookie dough and other heavy cookie doughs are an iffy at best.

One of the blessings of the scraper paddle is that you don't have to stop and scrape the bowl. Anyone who has used one will tell you "no more material at the bottom or side of the bowl." Well, if you have food left at the bottom of the bowl, then get a rubber spatula or use your hand and take it out and mix it in at the end when you have it all on the countertop. No need to waste any of it. Get in there and bake. The old fashion way.

As far as I am concerned the only paddle that is suitable for heavy duty work is the original flat metal one that comes with your mixer. All the rest call for common sense.

That particular beater has a lot of bad reviews on Amazon. It's acceptable for cake batter, but for heavier batter like cookies, they tend to not hold up, and I wouldn't even attempt to mix bread dough with it. They are made of plastic and just can't take the beating (pun intended ;) ). The KA with a single wiper is coated metal and just about as indestructible as the standard beater.

I have one of those that I've had for probably 8 years and have done a lot of cookie dough with it. I didn't have a lot of faith in it at first, because it seemed so cheap, but it's still going strong. This is for my 4.5qt old Ultra Power

I also have the Sideswipe for my other mixer, a 5 qt. lift bowl, and it is more robust and also works great.

I don't think you're saying quite the same thing. You use the dough hook for heavy doughs, like breads, and this lighter-duty paddle with scraper on lighter doughs, like cookies and cakes, or frosting. The right tool for the right job ;)

That's how I use my scraper paddles, both the SideSwipe on my bowl lift and the BeaterBlade on my tilt head. They excel at cake batters, icing and cookie doughs. Really anything heavier than that is probably going to need a hook. Scraper paddles do an amazing job creaming butter and sugar, it speeds the process and makes them really fluffy without stopping to scrape.

I definitely use common sense, if I were to do a larger batch of roll out cookie dough, I probably wouldn't use a scraper paddle.

That's not what you said. Check back.

Sometimes you argue just to be argumentative. Read my posts.

I never said anything other than that the off brand wiper was made of plastic and got bad reviews on Amazon. I never said it was for bread dough, but I did say that it was known to break on some cookie doughs. I use my metal KA paddle with a single wiper for cakes and cookies, and it has worked flawlessly. I use the stock paddle without a wiper for initial mixing of bread dough, then switch to the spiral dough hook for kneading. That has also worked well.

I've made no other claims. I've only researched the ones for Pro 600. It may be that the plastic ones hold up better on the smaller, less powerful mixers.

Last edited:
Sometimes you argue just to be argumentative. Read my posts.

No, I don't. But okay, let's play your game.

That particular beater has a lot of bad reviews on Amazon. It's acceptable for cake batter, but for heavier batter like cookies, they tend to not hold up, and I wouldn't even attempt to mix bread dough with it. They are made of plastic and just can't take the beating (pun intended ;) ). The KA with a single wiper is coated metal and just about as indestructible as the standard beater.

It is not meant for heavy dough. Heavy dough doesn't even needs it.

Exactly what I was saying. They are lighter duty, and as such it's a risk using it on a heavy duty machine.

I don't think you're saying quite the same thing. You use the dough hook for heavy doughs, like breads, and this lighter-duty paddle with scraper on lighter doughs, like cookies and cakes, or frosting. The right tool for the right job ;)

See how that's not what you were saying? Read your own posts.

Thanks for verifying what I said. Because it takes a man to say it for another man to believe it :rolleyes:

And thanks for reminding me that this was about you (believing another man) and not Andy.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the movie The Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death.

Here though, the argument is about the battle of the battered beaters between men, while, in the movie, the argument was about whether to serve dinner with guacamole dip or clam dip.

Dr. Margo Hunt finds in the jungle a rival tribe of cannibal women, the Barracuda Women, who are at war with the Piranha women due to differences over which condiment (guacamole or clam dip) most appropriately accompanies a meal of sacrificed man.

That I was reminded of it, just made me laugh. :)

This reminds me of the movie The Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death.

Here though, the argument is about the battle of the battered beaters between men, while, in the movie, the argument was about whether to serve dinner with guacamole dip or clam dip.

That I was reminded of it, just made me laugh. :)

chuckle.png

Let's get back to the topic at hand, shall we?
Larry is asking us about which KA mixer to purchase, whaddyathink?

Got Garlic - I don't know what you are reading, but we sure don't see the same thing. I keep saying that the reviews say that the cheap plastic beater doesn't hold up in heavier doughs - that includes some cookie doughs. That's all I've ever said, and all I will say about it. I'm done with it. :glare:

Last edited:
What I think is, the suspense is killing me!!!
Did they go with the guacamole or clam dip?
Or are you going to make me watch the movie to find out ???

:LOL::LOL: I hope it is the clam dip. I am not a fan of guacamole.

(You just gotta to luv a man with a sense of humor!)
Thanks Larry for the laugh. I really need one today.

I have had both a lift bowl and a tilt model and currently have a 600 pro with a pile of attachments..

I like the 600 - it handles bread like a champ and the larger bowl means I can make 2 loafs at at time with no issue.

regarding attachments: I have most of them and frankly many of the gadgety ones are disappointing imo and rarely used. The shredder, juicer, pasta extruder top the list of unneeded items and all of the take up valuable storage space.

I use the dough hook, paddle and whisk almost daily. I also have a second bowl and recommend this - especially at holidays. it's nice to have a batch of cookie dough in one and still be able to beat up eggwhites or cream.

Excellent point about the bowls Janet. I have three bowls. The glass bowl, a SS one with a handle and the bowl with no handle that came with my KA Classic. I hate the last bowl, so I bought the one with a handle and my son bought me the glass one. But lately it has become very heavy for my hands to use it easily. I pull out the two metal ones when I am starting a project. Because I just know I am going to need it sooner or later. The glass one is on my mixer all the time and my first choice.

I did it.
After searching multiple websites, a few bed and baths, a best buy, a JC Penny, and Macy's on long island, Boston and New York City, I finally found the color i was looking for.

Red Velvet.
Kitchen Aid Architect Series , 5 qt.

It was actually on display at the Macy's in NYC.
I bought it through their website, cause I didnt feel like lugging it around the city ( and it was free shipping, so why not).
I was just happy they had the color I liked on display. Its almost impossible to make the decision by just seeing it online or the crappy color tabs they have at the stores.

I broke it in today by making two loaves of Roasted Garlic Rosemary Bread.

Attachments

• Kitchenaid.jpg
    Kitchenaid.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Bread .jpg
    Bread .jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 151

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom