KitchenAid Mixer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know which model I have. It looks like the one Larry bought, but mine is white. I'm sure that red one will make better tasting food. :D

CD

I did it.
After searching multiple websites, a few bed and baths, a best buy, a JC Penny, and Macy's on long island, Boston and New York City, I finally found the color i was looking for.

Red Velvet.
Kitchen Aid Architect Series , 5 qt.

It was actually on display at the Macy's in NYC.
I bought it through their website, cause I didnt feel like lugging it around the city ( and it was free shipping, so why not).
I was just happy they had the color I liked on display. Its almost impossible to make the decision by just seeing it online or the crappy color tabs they have at the stores.

I broke it in today by making two loaves of Roasted Garlic Rosemary Bread.

Larry, did you see this
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/kit...d-mixer-30-mail-in-rebate-available?ID=393917
I found this while I was searching for your mixer, which btw, is frakin' gorgeous! The color reminds me of a lipstick that I used to wear all the time, love it!!
Claim that rebate friend, you deserve it, you spent along time looking for the right KA for you, CONGRATULATION, of and the bread looks yummy too :)

There are a half a dozen different reds, and it was almost impossible to decide from just looking at pics. I knew what I had seen when i saw the Kitchen aid demo a few years back, but wasn't smart enough to write down the color.

Here is a link to the Roasted garlic/ Rosemary bread I made in the above pic.

Easy Artisan Roasted Garlic-Rosemary Bread | Noble Pig

Im not an experienced baker, so I followed the directions exactly.
The dough seemed a little less firm than Im used to.
Usually when I make bread, the dough kinda balls up and holds its shape.
This one was very sticky ( the recipe said it would be). So kinda like the other thread where the bread kinda flattens out a bit, I had the same issue.

That being said, the consistency and taste were great, and placing that pan of water in the oven as it baked really made a nice chewy crust.

Attachments

• Bread .jpg
    Bread .jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 156
Larry, what do you plan on doing with your KA?

I too own a "Professional 6" model in white (it has 575 watt motor) and the pasta roller/cutter attachments (3 piece), I'm pretty sure I've owned it for 20 years now
but I see there's a Commercial Series as well... Page Not Found | KitchenAid | KitchenAid[KSMC895ER]-407298/KSMC895ER/
WOW! 1.3HP!!! 8 qt SS bowl... I also see that there are 15 different attachments!! ZOWEE!!

So yeah, it really depends upon what you want to be able to do with yours...

Decades ago I had the basic lowest model KA tilt head model. Then about 15 years ago I upgraded to an Artisian that I got new at Kohl's for $75 because it was a floor model, had no box or manual and had the wrong size beaters. I downloaded the manual from the KA site, called KA and they replaced all the beaters with the right size and who the heck needs a box?
Alas, after 15 yrs the unit cannot keep up with large batches of bread dough or cookie dough, so I opted to upgrade. I was looking at the Pro600 but instead opted for the Pro 6000 HD. It's a 6 quart unit with a 1.3HP motor (the ad says 1 HP but I had a long conversation with the company trying to decide and they confirmed what others had told me, that the unit was indeed 1.3 HP)
You cannot use the shield with this bowl but I never used it anyway and the bowl has a curved lip to it that make pouring much nicer. So far I cannot find an on or off label bowl scraper blade that I loved so much with my Artisian but I can live with that. I've had the unit for 8 months now and love it...I named him Thor for the powerhouse that he is. Best of all I got him from Amazon warehouse deals for $200 because the box had been opened. You can't even get the cheapest tilt head for that anymore.
As far as accessories I have most of them but the one thing I would recommend against is the ravioli maker. It requires the dough to be much too thick for a good ravioli. I do like the pasta roller and prefer it over the Atlas manual unit that I've used for years and although I would never use an extruder for spaghetti, I love the extruder for penne, macaroni and corkscrew pastas.
I see Amazon has it for $300. I highly recommend this over the 600 pro
This unit has the same motor as the Hobart professional model used commercially. Uses AC instead of DC (or maybe it's the other way around I forget) which will result in the motor lasting longer. It normally runs around $700 and although pricey, knowing now what a great unit it is I don't think the price is unreasonable and the current price on Amazon is IMHO a real bargain.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-P...501085387&sr=1-2&keywords=kitchenaid+pro+6000

Last edited:
My advice would be to go to a real brick and mortar store and look them all over, concentrating on bowl size and horsepower. I prefer the tilt head to the lift bowl because the tilt head gives you more clearance when putting stuff into the bowl, but that is a personal preference. Once you decide you have found the Kitchen Aid you can't live without, write down the price, then see if you can find it cheaper on line.

My advice would be to go to a real brick and mortar store and look them all over, concentrating on bowl size and horsepower. I prefer the tilt head to the lift bowl because the tilt head gives you more clearance when putting stuff into the bowl, but that is a personal preference. Once you decide you have found the Kitchen Aid you can't live without, write down the price, then see if you can find it cheaper on line.
You're not likely to see a 6000 HD in a brick and mortar store. They were made originally for Costco or Sams (not sure which one) as an offering for their food service customers and the model was limited in number.
My guess is most people in the market for a KA have been pining over them for a while now and have been to the stores to see them. Basically it's down to tilt head vs bowl lift (and I agree I like the tilt head better but it doesn't come in the power motor I need), bowl size and motor power. Other than that they are pretty much all the same although I will say my 6000HD is much taller than my Artisian but fits under my cabinets on the counter just fine.

A great thing about these mixers is that they are easy to repair. You start by taking off that silver band around them and the rest is obvious. Parts are easily available and inexpensive. A very common thing is when the motor is running and the mixer gears are not turning. There is a plastic shear-off gear in there, designed to fail under too heavy a load. It's an inexpensive part and an easy repair.

Mine, a Pro model with the lift up bowl, started to wobble under heavy loads. I fixed it by taking it apart and installing lock washers where the head bolts to the stand.

Another common problem is grease from the gear box leaking out (it's food grade grease, btw). This is caused by inactivity. The grease separates when it is not mixed up by the action of the gears. So, if you have one, run it once a month or so for 5 minutes and that will keep the grease mixed up.

Love my 600 Pro. Try going to the Kitchen-aid web site and look for a referbished one. They are like new. I refered a friend and she got the Pro 600 and was very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom