KitchenAid Mixer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So I'm finally going to splurge and get myself a Kitchen Aid Mixer, which I've wanted for years.

Clearly there are different Colors and Bowl sizes. But my real question is ( other than cost), what are the differences between the different Series they have ( Architect, Artisan,Classic, Professional..). The last thing I want to do is invest in one, when I should have gotten the other. I have a knack of buying something, then wishing I got the other one, so I'm trying to break that streak this time around.

As I mentioned, the color and bowl size decision, I think I can handle.
Without sounding snobby, the cost isn't really the deciding factor.
I do like some of the attachments they come with, but are they universal ( do they work with all the different Series of mixers?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions that may help me minimize my choices , that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

GG, do you have any of the attachments ?
If so, do they work well, or are there any glitches ?

just curious

I know sometimes certain gadgets appear good in concept, but don't quite deliver in function.

I have the 600 Pro and love it but then when I was doing cakes and catering I needed a workhorse.

If I was to get one again I would probably go down to 500 but would stick to the beater lift instead of the tilt style. I don't know if it really makes any difference, it is just what I am used to.

I just realized I was no help whatsoever! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry! :angel:

Larry, to me the key is power. You can get KAs with a wide range of power (measured in watts). I recommend you choose one with a higher power rating. The power rating dictates how much 'stuff' you can mix at once. This is most important with bread and cookie doughs that are thick and heavy.

just curious

I know sometimes certain gadgets appear good in concept, but don't quite deliver in function.

I don't. I will tell you, though, that when I wanted a meat grinder/sausage stuffer, DH talked to a friend of his who hunts and makes venison and other kinds of sausage. He said the grinder/stuffer attachment for the KitchenAid is not very robust and he recommended a stand-alone unit. So that's what I have.

I don't know if you're planning on making vegetarian sausage, but I thought I'd mention it :)

just curious

We have the "Slicer/Shredder", "Pasta Extruder", "Ice Cream Maker", "Meat Grinder/ Sausage Stuffer" and the "Spiralizer" attachments.

The "Slicer/ Shredder" I think we've used a couple times and it worked just fine, but it is easier to use the food process which is already on the counter.

The "Pasta Extruder" didn't work so well, but that was probably "Operator Error" as we hadn't have a lot experience with pasta at the time.

We do use the "Ice Cream Maker" on the rare occasions we make homemade.

We used to use the "Meat Grinder/Sausage Stuffer quite a bit and it worked great with small batches. Now it is retired since we purchased the LEM grinder and sausage stuffer.

The "Spiralizer" works great, but we haven't put it through all its paces yet.:ROFLMAO:

Just to clarify, our Pasta Extruder does not include the roller attachment. It has dies that the dough is forced through. We were just talking and might give it a go again as we have much more experience now, if we can even find it. We just used it the once and it never saw the light of day again.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I really like the spiralizer. It makes spaghetti like vege noodles, as well as wide flat noodles. One caveat though is you have to be able to buy really large carrots or zucchini or yellow squash, otherwise there will be a good bit of waste, though I guess they could be used for other things like vege soups or broths or ground up and put in vege burgers.

They go on sale from time to time, and the price difference can be yoooge! I picked up a Classic a year ago for $130 (reg. $250), but haven't seen a deal quite that good since. I've seen some of the more expensive models at pretty good sale prices on occasion.

I have a Pro 600 that I've had for about 12 years and I love it. Navy in color.

The bowl lift vs. tilt took a bit of getting used to but now I'm fine with it.

I have the sausage stuffer/grinder which I do not use (my ex uses it and likes it but doesn't use it for sausage)

I also have the pasta roller which I like a lot.

Those are the only attachments. Too many of the other ones duplicate other appliances I have or things I can do by hand. Also the mixer is too big to live on the counter, so I have to haul it out to use it so the attachments have to be worth it.

I have the Pro 600 bowl lift style. I've been using it for about 15 years now, mostly for making bread dough. I love the spiral dough hook... it can be almost hypnotic watching it knead dough.

One suggestion for whatever model you get is to buy the after market beater with a wiper blade to better clean the sides of the bowl while mixing. I bought mine on Amazon - I recommend the genuine KA one even though it's quite abit more expensive. Some are just cheap plastic, and according to the reviews don't hold up well. Be sure you get the right one for the mixer model you end up buying.

Larry, the one I have that I just love is the following attachment;
https://www.amazon.com/New-Metro-De...6124&sr=8-12&keywords=kitchen+aid+attachments

I do a lot of cakes and it saves me from stopping, scrape bowl, stop, scrape bowl. And I find it useful for other foods.

I also have the pasta maker. Great for helping in the final kneading of making pasta.

I use the meat grinder for making my own hamburger. But as a vegetarian, you would need it for other purposes instead.

I agree, Addie! I have three paddles - the original plain one, the KA with one flange and like yours with two flanges on it. With all the things I do they all come in handy but yours is the best for batters, icings, everything!

I have the pasta maker, the pasta extruder, shredder/grater, food mill, meat grinder with sausage attachment (not that great but does in a pinch). I already have an ice cream maker so don't need that.

Last edited:
I have a tilt model, probably the smallest 4.5, bought around 1983 or '84, if they were made then. It was early in my marriage. It's going strong. I've had years of bread baking and years I didn't use it much. I bought the sausage grinder and stuffer, and I do love using the grinder when we get a pork shoulder and if we get a deer. I use a food processor about 10 times as often as I use the mixer, to make food around here. Still, I do love it for breads/cookie/frosting/beating egg whites.

Larry, what do you plan on doing with your KA?

I too own a "Professional 6" model in white (it has 575 watt motor) and the pasta roller/cutter attachments (3 piece), I'm pretty sure I've owned it for 20 years now
but I see there's a Commercial Series as well... Page Not Found | KitchenAid | KitchenAid[KSMC895ER]-407298/KSMC895ER/
WOW! 1.3HP!!! 8 qt SS bowl... I also see that there are 15 different attachments!! ZOWEE!!

So yeah, it really depends upon what you want to be able to do with yours...

I agree, Addie! I have three paddles - the original plain one, the KA with one flange and like yours with two flanges on it. With all the things I do they all come in handy but yours is the best for batters, icings, everything!

I have the pasta maker, the pasta extruder, shredder/grater, food mill, meat grinder with sausage attachment (not that great but does in a pinch). I already have an ice cream maker so don't need that.

I bought a paddle that consisted of small tilted flanges up the side of the rubber on both sides of the paddle. It was even before KA came out with theirs. I literally wore it out. The last time I used it, I found two of the little flanges in the batter. I wore that paddle out to its death. I knew it was time to get a new one. So next month if they have it, it will go on my Jet order. I will be getting the two sided one. I think it does a better job. I can't recommend it highly enough. Saves so much time in stopping and scraping the bowl down, over and over.

Larry, what do you plan on doing with your KA?

When it comes to baking, or uses for a mixer, its just the basics for me. Cakes, cookies, bread. Enough for a family, and on occasion a family gathering. My daughter will likely use it more frequently, but still probably for basic needs.

As far as the attachments go, as like many of us, I am intrigued with many kitchen gadgets, so I can see myself getting a bunch to play around with.

But i would prefer to grow into one,( or at least have that option), then get something, and be sorry I didn't get the one the next level up ( I'm pretty good at doing that).

Id rather have a little too much bowl, power, function, than too little or ' just enough'. Yet I don't need this huge mixing vat sitting in my kitchen, that will dwarf any recipe I use to make in it. :)

Being that it is an investment, and a decent sized appliance ( and kinda looks cool and nice too), I will probably find a place to keep it out and available, so the cosmetics/ color will play somewhat of a role.

Its just something Ive waited years to get, and Im looking forward to finally purchasing it.

Back
Top Bottom