Large Stir Fry Surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vitaquosus

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a large flat surface that could fit over two of my elements on my stove top. I would like it to be about half the size of my stove top. I see it being like a huge frying pan, built to cook veggies on. I would like it to be HIGH grade Stainless Steel with a aluminum base to transfer the heat to the cooking surface. I do NOT want to use the WOK rather a flat surface. Does anyone know where I could get a Appliance like this?

A roasting pan would work. If you don't want the high sides, a two-burner griddle would do.

It sounds like you are describing a griddle, like Andy says. I have an All Clad one that cost about $100. http://www.chefscatalog.com/(i2tjnf55aojpv4rzxbku3045)/catalog/product.aspx?sourcecode=6w1gg1001&scommand=search&search=all-clad%2bgriddle&item=90005

Lodge makes one but it's cast iron. You will probably have a hard time finding a griddle that's not nonstick.

But -- also like Andy says -- a SS roasting pan would work too.

Technique-wide, though, you need the high sides of a wok (or other vessle) for tradtional stir frying because the sides of the pan are used to prevent burning from the very high heat of the wok bottom.

Griddle

Thanks for this, I think that is what I am looking for. Does that griddle evenly spread the heat across the entire cooking surface? When I say evenly I mean as evenly as you would expect from a quality cooking appliance?

A two-burner cast iron/aluminium griddle will do a very good job of even heat distribution.

I have only seen a cast iron griddle or a cast aluminium one with a non-stick coating.

Mine does, with the caveat that my burners are two different sizes, so I need to adjust them to get the heat even.

Much of the time, I use it to make tortillas so I like having a hotter and cooler surface.

I had my griddle out to quick-defrost some frozen chicken last night (it's second best task) and there is NO WAY you would be able to stir fry on it.

The food would fly everywhere.

You will need sides on whatever cooking vessle you choose.

I am guessing you dont want a wok because of the volume of food you are cooking. So maybe the roasting pan would work. It would have to be a nice heavy one that could accomodate the dual temps the cooking surface should have for stir fry.

All Clad makes a nice one, but it's pretty expensive. Then again, you can use it for roasting.

Would it be any differnet than the way they stir-fry at Japanese steak houses? It's just a big flat top.

I thought of that, Rainee, when I answered yesterday. But when I looked at it on my stove last night and today, I thought to myself there is no way (IMO) you could stir fry more than a handful of stuff on a griddle. It's only maybe 12 inches across and unless you are really careful, the food will fly off.

At least if I tried to cook it. :pig:

The griddles at Benihana, Fire and Ice and mongolian BBQs are larger, seems to me.

Just wouldn't want to see anyone buy a $$ piece of cookware that might not suit their needs.

Back
Top Bottom