Left Handed Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
You look at all o them and they always have the controls on the right. Well what if that doesn't suit your kitchen ? I can see that happening easily and I have looked and looked and there are no left handed ones out there.

I have thought about adapting one in depth, and it is no easy feat. In one of the easier methods it will still have the magnetron and all that at the right, moving only the control panel and redoing the hinges. Some attention needs to be paid to the latch, there is a switch in there that shorts it out, so if the main cutoff doesn't cut off it blows the fuse and doesn't spray you with microwaves.

Any ideas ?

T

Are you handy with metal working, and have the appropriate tools, i,e, pop riveter, spot welder, sheet metal bender, tin snips/aviation snips, band saw with hack saw blade, etc.? You will also need a wave guide to direct the microwave energy, and the guts, safety switches, and door from a microwave oven. It also helps to have a fair amount of electrical engineering knowledge, and microwave theory.

The idea is to build a metal box, that aligns with the existing door, and mount the appropriate controls, and elements, including motorized turntable, into that box. Care must be taken to provide proper grounding, and to produce a faraday cage that will contain the microwave energy.

Due to the nature of microwaves, and the dangers, this is not a job for DIY. Engineers crafted commercially available microwave ovens, and must meet stringent safety codes before the units can be sold.

In other words, don't try this t home, kids.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Home Depot claims to have "left to right swing" microwaves, but none of the pictures showed that.

I found this article, which suggests these alternatives: a microwave with a drawer or a microwave with a drop down door. In both cases, the controls are at the top.

Home Depot claims to have "left to right swing" microwaves, but none of the pictures showed that.

I found this article, which suggests these alternatives: a microwave with a drawer or a microwave with a drop down door. In both cases, the controls are at the top.

I want a kitchen big enough that I can waste drawer space with a microwave.

Back
Top Bottom