Magic Chef cooktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornelius

Assistant Cook
A few months ago, I moved into a house that has a fairly ancient electric Magic Chef cooktop on a center island in the kitchen. It has a large burner, a small burner, and a "grill" which has one zig-zag heating element beneath it.

It also has two knobs to control the grill portion. I took the grill/griddle cover off so I could see the element, and turned one of the knobs on high to see what would happen, thinking that with one element it would be a pretty neat trick if they could make only one side of it heat up. But, of course, the whole thing heated. But, it only got red-hot when I turned the other knob on high.

So, I guess I know how it works, but um, why would they build it that way? I went to the Magic Chef site to see if I could find any info, but they only provide a search for documentation by model number. I haven't a clue as to what the model number is. Also, they apparently no longer make cooktops, so I wasn't able to find a current similar model.

Anyone have any experience with these? Am I missing something, or is this just a strange and impractical design?

Back
Top Bottom