Meat Grinder Manual or KA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Home Cook

Sous Chef
I want to start grinding my own hamburger meat. But..we don't eat a ton of hamburgers so I want to limit my investment. I do have a KA mixer that I could buy an attachment for but the ratings are not that good. Looking at the manual ones. Anyone use the manual? Preferred brand?

I use my KA grinder for grinding up venison every few years, quite a lot of it. I can't complain about it, it does a good job and rather quickly. I've ground pork in it and beef in it and it's quick and easy.

Andy, GA Home Cook, that is the type my mom had (and I believe my grandma as well). I may use it once or twice a year. Love it. but you need to be sure you have a place to attach it to.

Back in the day, kitchen counters had built in "bread boards" that would slide out from under the counter - perfect. Or the old wooden kitchen tables. Hard to find a place to attach them in the more modern kitchens, with their prefab counters and cupboards.

I've done cooked beef (to make hash), with running the onion thru it as well, just recently I did the scraps from the beef tenderloin. Does a good job as far as I am concerned. Well worth the money.

Just be sure to dry it scrupulously(?) because the raw metal edges can rust.

Don't spray it with vegie oil for storage... ask me how I know, :angel:.

My KA grinder is fine for small batches. It helps to put the grinder and the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes, or so.

CD

Food processor can also be used.
Saw it on TV.
The meat was cut into small pieces the same size and frozen. Then processed/pulsed.

I have an old metal KA meat grinder I use often, and like it. The plastic KA grinder not so much. The cases crack at the bushing. Manual is good if you're not doing a lot. Check ebay for good deals on KA grinders.

Food processor can also be used.
Saw it on TV.
The meat was cut into small pieces the same size and frozen. Then processed/pulsed.

I did that with some lamb once, and that was the toughest lamb we've ever had. I'll never do that again.

Andy, I think a lot of us had mothers who used the hand ones. I did have to help my mother, as her arm would get tired after a while. Myself, I have the KA. It is okay, but I think (maybe with nostalgia) that my mother's was a better one. I do remember she always had me run stale bread through at the end to help clean it out. Then she would wash it herself. I got to dry it.

If you keep the box for the KA one, it will take up less storage room.

Addie I had forgotten! Yes, that is exactly what my mom (& I) did too! Running the bread thru helped to de-grease and made cleaning a lot easier. She told me the onion (aside from being essential to the "hash") helped to clean the meat and grease out but then the bread sort of finished the job.

Thanks for the reminder!

Addie I had forgotten! Yes, that is exactly what my mom (& I) did too! Running the bread thru helped to de-grease and made cleaning a lot easier. She told me the onion (aside from being essential to the "hash") helped to clean the meat and grease out but then the bread sort of finished the job.

Thanks for the reminder!

And even though I have a KA grinder, I do it to that also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom