Meat Slicer Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I am considering the purchase of an electric meat slicer. I have finally accepted the fact that the hand cranked, Eva meat slicer that I inherited from my mother won't get fixed any time soon. It's simply too hard to source the missing parts.

So, what are the things I want to look for in an electric meat slicer? This is my mini list of requirements.

1. easy to clean
  2. removable blade
  3. won't slide around when being used
  4. can be used safely

I'm not even sure I would know how to tell if the machine fulfills those requirements, without actually using it.

This is what I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-Beac...&keywords=meat+slicer&qid=1592149317&sr=8-196

Is anyone familiar with this one? With other's from Hamilton Beach? Have other inexpensive suggestions?

Don't go plastic anything!:mad: We have had our Rival for years.

Significantly less powerful motor on the C155. 130 watts vs. 200 watts on the HB.

I don’t think the HB is available in USA. I searched it and it doesn’t come up on the USA Amazon site.

I don’t think the HB is available in USA. I searched it and it doesn’t come up on the USA Amazon site.

I read the reviews. I won't be getting it. Too many people said that the thickness control knob doesn't lock. If you use to much pressure holding the meat, the size of the thickness goes up. People also complained about uneven slices. Another thing mentioned was plastic gears. The positive reviews had far less info. A number of the positive reviews said something along the lines of, I got it today. It looks good.

Will you be slicing meat often or in large quantity ? The reason I ask is I see meat slicers of various qualities in yard sales quite frequently. Often those like Harbor Freight or Rival sells. Not too powerful but for occasional home use they can do the job. They dismantle easily for complete cleaning. Then fold up to save space.

416_ITC_ELECTRIC_FOOD_SLICER_1442347632.6317.JPG

But considering these times and the grocery store and restaurants going out of business, you may find a Hobart Commercial slicer for steal. Just check out Craig's list or even some restaurant supply equipment businesses.

I have a couple of nice restaurant type VPR 12 Cup Bunn Coffee machines I got for $36 bucks when a local Elks Lodge was closing. (that was my silent auction bid)

I have owned this one since 2014, and have been really happy with it. Mind you, I only use it for personal use, but I find it easy to clean. At 10 pounds, it is not too heavy as I don't keep it in the kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058VCYWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the info. That model is discontinued and costs over 400 Cdn $. :ohmy:

I have added this one to my "maybes" wish list on Amazon, so I can find the name of that manufacturer later.

I would actually be interested in buying something in this style. Unfortunately, the vintage ones don't really have a thickness guide (at least I don't think they do), so how uniform the slices are depends on the abilities of the person using it. I have seen new ones, but DH saw a review of one and it simply collapsed into a mangled pile of bent and broken bits the first time the reviewer used it. I looked some more at the less expensive, modern ones and they sure do look like that could happen. The higher quality ones were a lot pricier. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll just get the 305 Cdn dollar vintage Eva slicer from Etsy. I am very familiar with that brand. The one I inherited, yeah, I used that one a lot while living with my mum in Copenhagen.

Attachments

• 5416734829_edacbc77d7_b.jpg
    5416734829_edacbc77d7_b.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 125
Accept the fact that none of them will be "easy to clean". You have to remove the blade in all cases. The finer the slice, the more chance of thin/thin shavings getting into crevasses which need to be fished out.

I was given mine by someone who never used it and was cleaning out her kitchen.

It is by Oster, is plastic, all parts come off to clean. The thickness dial is gradual and I can 'shave' ham and beef or thicker slices and yes, it might increase slightly if pressed too hard but you have to learn to let the blade do it's work and not push against it but only pressing forward.
I do need to brace it, I use the hand that holds the 'start' button to basically hold the whole machine in place while the other hand pushes the meat along the slide.
Safety wise, the start button must be held down manually. Using the meat guide and pusher supplied, the only time there is any real danger of cutting yourself is when washing the blade.
Love it. Use it 3 or 4 times a year (occasionally more) and am grateful for it each time.
Have no idea the cost.

Good point about the plastic. Do you happen to know if the Rival is still being sold?

I did a quick search and they still seem to be available. Ours has a serrated blade and turns at a slow speed. It does a good job for our needs.

Back
Top Bottom