Microwave ovens harmful to health/food?:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michelemarie said:
I believe microwaves are safe too - but here is a question - is cooking food in plastic in a microwave safe? I don't know, I have heard several theories - what's yours?

Certain plastics are a problem but not all. Common plastic wrap can be a problem but newer blends have been reformulated to eliminate the problem. Read the fine print on the box for warnings.

I use a plastic high-dome cover that made for microwave use.

It sits around the edge of a plate of food so that when you reheat the food, any splatters like gravy or sauce is contained within the cover and not on the interior walls of the oven!

Saves cleanup time.

Last edited:
cooking fat in the microwave oven

I went to the health food store for herbs and advice on my gallstone and the guy said that there are some new studies out on cooking fats in the microwave, he said the microwave turnes the fat into something the body cannot process, he just said don't cook fat in the microwave i only use it when i have to and mostly to boil water, i thought it kind of made sense so i just try not to use it. ;) O and by the way if you don't want to get gallstones here are a couple tips, Apple juice is good for keeping them down, and a lemon wedge squeezed in some water, no crash diets, and do not go without eating for a long time because your gallbladder fills up and cannot empty till you eat.
diets high in fiber are good also and exercise. I had no idea they are so common till i had one. I will stay away from the micro just to be on the safe side.

The clerk at the health food store is an expert on microwave technology and the effects of microwaves on the chemistry of fats?

Andy M. said:
The clerk at the health food store is an expert on microwave technology and the effects of microwaves on the chemistry of fats?
:ROFLMAO: Isn't it great where some people with gets their "facts" from. :LOL:

I've softened and mellted butter in the microwave for years.

All of a sudden it's dangerous and not healthy for you now?

Oh, please! Isn't it amazing that these people seemingly know more about microwave cooking than you do? What is a store clerk doing giving advice on how to use your microwave oven and saying that it should only be used mainly for boiling water? Geez!

Last edited:
that clerk is Only Part right, MWs work better on Water than on fats (all to do with molecular polarity).

it`s not that it DOES anything bad to the oils particularly, it`s just that MW`s don`t affect oils very well and so you`ll not get propper heating (if any) and to the MW it will seem like an empty cavity without a load.
now using a MW with nothing in it isn`t a great idea! it`s a good way to burn out the magentron (though most have Over-temp cutout devices).

Fats like Pork Rind etc... you`ll get plenty Local heating, and charing eventualy with Ammonia gas produced, it`s not harmfull as I`de dare anyone to get it past their lips to eat any anyway :)
BBQ Briquettes maybe tastier :P

Butter is ideal, it`s an Emulsion, with as much water as fats, but Pure oil, you`ll be lucky to get it to Body temp without a drop of water or moisture in it.

I ditched my microwave last month.

My new toaster oven works much better. And the food is much more flavorful too. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom