Microwave uses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really enjoy a toaster oven. I like my toast, english muffins, etc buttered and toasted - and cheese toast and I sure don't want to start the big oven for 2 pieces of that. I also cook small roasts, chicken pieces and many other things. I use it more than my big oven, except when more than the two of us are eating. It is great for small desserts. My food processor is the big one made by Sunbeam a million years ago. I have replaced the bowl twice and it isn't available anymore, so when it goes, I will have to ge another kind. I have a small one that I use for herbs, onions, etc, things in small amounts. Having the right thing for the right use is very important to me, but some of them I don't use nearly as often as when my kids were home. I have a waffle iron I haven't even used and keep thinking I will use it. Perhaps someone has a really good waffle recipe I can use to christen it.

licia, I love a toaster oven! I guess to me it's as versatile as the microwave to other people.

I need to start researching brands, because I'd like to buy a new one before we start on the kitchen remodel. I've heard some good things about the Cuisinart with convection. What kind do you have?

The only real use i have for my microwave is making my sushi rice, and it performs this task perfectly. Other than that it collects dust, but it is invaluable to me for the sushi rice. The thought of eating one of those frozen "healthy" dinners, makes my well-fed tummy sad. Those meals are just terrible for you, and the taste is something out of a horror movie.
I am astonished when i hear people say "microwaves are great when you have kids and you need quick meals". There is no way i am feeding my kid the junk that gets stuffed in a box with more preservitives than flavor. I can't belive any responsible parent would include that kind of stuff in a kid's diet as anything other than a rarity.

oops i soapboxed again

I thought I was the last person to NOT own a microwave oven, and my mom bought me one 20 years ago (needless to say, I've bought myself many since then!). One thing they are great for, for me (with my un-air-conditioned kitchen) is that I often pre-cook food to the "almost done" stage in the microwave oven, then finish them off in the oven, on the stove top, or on the grill. For example, I'll micro-bake a potato for about 3/4 the time recommended (unfortunately, microwave ovens really vary). Then I may slice it and fry it, or toss it on the charcoals or in the oven. In hot weather this is a real life saver. And there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, better for reheating foods. I cook up gallons of soups and stews, freeze, and live on them. Hubby's greatest pride is that he can have home made soup (stew, chili) any time he wants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom