Microwave verdict, safe or unsafe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mech3d

Assistant Cook
Every once in a while I hear someone say that cooking or heating things up in a microwave oven is unhealthy especial for a baby.

I have been using microwaves since they first came out and I am still alive and healthy. So I don't see much merit in these claims.

The only hazard I can think of is getting the food too hot.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Joe

According to the linked site, "Microwave ovens heat foods unevenly and cause hot spots. There may be hot spots even if the food feels cool to you. It is important to stir food well to prevent burns to you or your baby."

This is one reason I always heat food low and slow in the microwave. I rarely use the highest power setting except when boiling water.

This is one reason I always heat food low and slow in the microwave. I rarely use the highest power setting except when boiling water.
Low and slow? :ermm:

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of using a microwave?

What do I know. I don't use mine for actual cooking. As far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than a glorified food and beverage reheater.

Low and slow? :ermm:

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of using a microwave?

What do I know. I don't use mine for actual cooking. As far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than a glorified food and beverage reheater.

I think he means something like two minutes on power level 7 rather than 30 seconds on power level 10. That's not so terribly long to wait ;)

The only other thing I've heard is to not use plastic containers. The container should say if it's microwave safe. If not, don't use it. Chemicals can leach into the food from the plastic. I tend to go with glass containers in the microwave whenever possible.

The only other thing I've heard is to not use plastic containers. The container should say if it's microwave safe. If not, don't use it. Chemicals can leach into the food from the plastic. I tend to go with glass containers in the microwave whenever possible.

But that's not the fault of the microwave. Heat is the culprit with plastic.

Yes. But more like 10 minutes at level 4, for instance..... I don't mind the wait......and that is low and slow for a microwave....;)

desismileys_3334.gif

I only know the time and start button on our microwave. If it has power settings I would not even know.
I only use it to heat coffee and I sometimes use the defrost function to get a head start.
I did use it today to heat up left over taco meat. ;)

Even if the container is microwave safe plastic, food can leach into the container, making it so ugly and disgusting you want to trash it. I prefer to remove the food from the plastic container and put it on a paper plate, covered with a piece of waxed paper (stuff explodes in the microwave, especially beans) before heating it.

I only know the time and start button on our microwave. If it has power settings I would not even know.

It involves a couple of extra steps to to set the time and power setting, but once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature.
But I wish microwaves included direct power settings on the control panels for frequent low power setting users like myself.

Even if the container is microwave safe plastic, food can leach into the container, making it so ugly and disgusting you want to trash it. I prefer to remove the food from the plastic container and put it on a paper plate, covered with a piece of waxed paper (stuff explodes in the microwave, especially beans) before heating it.
Another reason I use low power settings. Full power tends to destroy most plastic containers.

According to the linked site, "Microwave ovens heat foods unevenly and cause hot spots. There may be hot spots even if the food feels cool to you. It is important to stir food well to prevent burns to you or your baby."

https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/4309e/

There is a reason the makers of those foods made for the microwave tell you to heat it for a few minutes, stir and then resume heating. :angel:

The average one hour TV show is about 42-43 minutes long for program content. There remaining 17-18 minutes is commercial content. Not all the breaks are the same length.

Back
Top Bottom