My Air Fryer Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To answer the preheat question, my air fryer will preheat for certain settings (i.e. air frying and baking but not toasting) and there is a buzzer that goes off when the oven is preheated. THAT'S when you add the food. I usually put the food in the basket and set it next to the oven, then slide the basket in after the buzzer goes off.

Exactly!! The same with my Instant Brands Omni Plus.

Ross

Ya know, the other day I went looking for one
of those non-stick grill pans ... geez!
They want $49.99 for it!!!
I don't really want to invest that much more money
in to this small kitchen appliance.

And

as I was on the Phillips site, the model that I
purchased has been discontinued, of course,
that's why it was so inexpensive, I figured that
would happen. :angry:

"One tip, though. It's cheaper to buy a rotisserie chicken in the supermarket than to buy a raw chicken and do it your own self."

Just because something is cheaper, doesn't mean it is the way to go! Just saying...

"One tip, though. It's cheaper to buy a rotisserie chicken in the supermarket than to buy a raw chicken and do it your own self."

Just because something is cheaper, doesn't mean it is the way to go! Just saying...

I used to buy rotisserie chicken from Costco, because they were really good and they were cheaper than buying a raw chicken. But, then they started adding hyrdolyzed soy protein and I'm not supposed to have that. Also, nowadays, I try really hard to buy locally grown food and there is no indication where those chickens were raised.

LOL. Yes it is cheaper but, it was so much fun to see guests react to doing a rotisserie chicken at home. The actual taste is much better too. :yum:

I AM glad I'm past that now as, the cleanup is ridiculous. ;):rolleyes:

Ross

LOL. Yes it is cheaper but, it was so much fun to see guests react to doing a rotisserie chicken at home. The actual taste is much better too. :yum:

I AM glad I'm past that now as, the cleanup is ridiculous. ;):rolleyes:

Ross

Hello Ross...nice to meet you & I gather that a "welcome back" is in order...so, good to see you back!

May I ask why the cleanup was so bad? What did you use for the process?

We love a home cooked rotisserie chicken, and I've got a number of ways I can do them. None of them are a challenge for clean up.

smileys-halloween-636870.gif

Hello Ross...nice to meet you & I gather that a "welcome back" is in order...so, good to see you back!

May I ask why the cleanup was so bad? What did you use for the process?

We love a home cooked rotisserie chicken, and I've got a number of ways I can do them. None of them are a challenge for clean up.

smileys-halloween-636870.gif

Hi and thank you, Ginny. :)

I found that using the rotisserie was just a bit more messy than cooking the same on the flat tray. I also found that there is no discernible difference in taste. I suppose that my saying, " the cleanup is ridiculous" is a bit of an exaggeration. I just find a bit more splatter than shelf/tray cooking.

When I first started air fryer cooking I said, "Rotisserie to impress, tray for less mess." ;)

Ross

Hi and thank you, Ginny. :)

I found that using the rotisserie was just a bit more messy than cooking the same on the flat tray. I also found that there is no discernible difference in taste. I suppose that my saying, " the cleanup is ridiculous" is a bit of an exaggeration. I just find a bit more splatter than shelf/tray cooking.

When I first started air fryer cooking I said, "Rotisserie to impress, tray for less mess." ;)

Ross

Thanks, Ross! I've just recently purchased my first air fryer. I've done a rotisserie chicken in it just once now. I most often use my old Ronco Showtime for this. I found the chicken pretty similar to the Ronco, but the Ronco easier to set up. For clean up, I found the air fryer much easier.

That said, to me, the rotisserie chicken flavor...using a smaller chicken, meaning a whole fryer chicken, I find the flavor rivals that of a roaster chicken done in flat in an oven. Rivals, close, but the roaster is still superior, without the need for a long marinade process. But, roasters are hard to find here in the PNW. When I see them, I grab one or two, for sure!

It has been a long, long time since I've tried just roasting a fryer. Maybe I should try it again.
smileys-thinking-069405.gif

I have the exact same Phillips model and use it quit a bit.

Although mostly for reheating

Biut I did make killer hot dogs in it yesterday

My SIL in FL was raving about her air fryer. She made meatloaf for us the first night we stayed with her.

A partially frozen meatloaf cooked in the air fryer results in a medium rare chunk of ground beef encased in beef-based cement.

Poor you Andy!

Curious, did she think that was right? or was she aware there are still certain methods she will have to master.

She has no cooking sense whatsoever. She just assumed that, since other things came out good, this would too. She's also responsible for the driest Thanksgiving turkey I've ever eaten.

Some people seem obsessed with the idea of cooking food from frozen. I don't get it. When I first got my Instant Pot, I joined a Facebook group about it and people were doing that all the time. I don't know how anything could cook evenly that way.

Some people seem obsessed with the idea of cooking food from frozen. I don't get it. When I first got my Instant Pot, I joined a Facebook group about it and people were doing that all the time. I don't know how anything could cook evenly that way.

Yeah, I wonder about that too. OTOH, I do like to be able to heat something already cooked, from frozen.

I can imagine that someone could create a recipe, where it should be cooked from frozen, something where the fact that one ingredient should cook less than the rest. Looks like my imagination ran loose again. :LOL:

OK - here´s a person who is NOT going to buy an air fryer. I may be the only one on the planet, but I´m not going to splash out any dollars at all for a machine that might only be used 30% of the time.
I make a lot of Indian, Indonesian, South Asian food. Basically wet ingredients which fry up a treat in hot oil, not some trendy machine . Airfryers might be good for "solid" foods, like chicken nuggets, fish fingers, dry foods, etc., but anything that´s soft , forget it.
I´ll stick to oil. At least I know that whatever I put into it will keep it´s shape through the cooking process.

I can imagine that someone could create a recipe, where it should be cooked from frozen, something where the fact that one ingredient should cook less than the rest. Looks like my imagination ran loose again. :LOL:
If I remember correctly (when don't I remember correctly?) Butterball sells, or used to sell, a complete stuffed turkey that you cook from frozen.

I know that several of Omaha Steaks products say 'DO NOT THAW' in the instructions.

Most frozen dinners cook from frozen and are instructed Not to Defrost. From macaroni, TV dinners, Meat Pies, all sorts of pies, quiche, pot pies, appetizers, etc.

the trick is knowing when you can freeze one of your homecooked meals and cook/reheat directly from frozen.

M&M frozen foods are meals all cooked from frozen.

I think it is different to "cook" from frozen, versus reheat from frozen? Most frozen "dinners" and many entrées are of the pre-cooked type, I think? So, I would think of them as just heating to the level that they are ready to eat.

Maybe I'm missing something?

For my own homecooked meals, I do one of two things. Either I let it thaw in cold water and then heat it up in the oven or on the stove. Or, I throw it (bag & all) in a pot of boiling water, until it is reheated to edible temp.

Back
Top Bottom