"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,404
My Air Fryer Adventures

Recently, I got my Philips Kitchen Appliances HD9220/28 Viva Airfryer (1.8lb/2.75qt).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	47218

I had planned a head just a little, and bought a coupla things to try first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	47219

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	47220

I don't normally buy frozen snack items, but I was eyeing
this one up for a bit.

Meh
It was nice and crunchy on the outside but a touch
mushy in the middle. I did not use the provided dipping
sauce, rather I made up a small dish of Thai Sweet Chile Sauce.

Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,404
Air Fryer Adventure #2

I've been doing alot of research on the `Net in regards to
cooking with my newly acquired kitchen toy.

I was reading a blog post from this gentleman who
said that you could easily make Kara'age Chicken
with this dry mix ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	kara`age.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	47230

I buy this one too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	47227

So I made a batch in the AF, sprayed with some Olive Oil.
MEH
It was okay.
I guess I had this flavor and texture profile in my minds eye,
or should I say on my taste buds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00853.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	47228

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00854.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	47229

I was using my Deep Fryer to make Kara'age previously.
And I gotta tell ya, they stay crispy even once
they go cold (non-refrigerated),
the AF Chicken sadly, did not.

But in the meantime, there will be more adventures to come
as I continue to experiment.
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Kandy
Posts: 226
Some appliances are actually sold thanks to their advertising. Not for convenience or quality. Worst of all, affiliated marketing makes the consumer stranded without proper knowledge about anything in the market. They just review the item to drive sales in order to get the affiliate commission.
__________________
I too have a blog, a very simple one. https://2weeksinsrilanka.com/
lastmanstanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 4,460
There is a lot of information out there. Some good, some not so good.

It doesn't take long to find people who give information you agree with.

For instance, I buy Instant Brand appliances. Early on I found "Lana Under Pressure". She gives solid information on the Instant Pot, Vortex (my first air fryer) and the Omni Plus (my present air fryer.)

Searching will find someone with good information on whatever brand you prefer.

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,404
My adventure continues:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	47296

from the other day, frozen Sweet Potato Fries (Alexia) and Chicken Tender Strips, also frozen.
Not bad.
I have to say that I purchased a different brand than I usually get, and really wasn't happy with the Chicken.


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0660.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	47300

I brought home my Onion Rings from linner at one of our previously favorite joints this afternoon to re-heat in the AF.
Well, I didn't care for these Rings at all.
Not due to the method, but the taste not great.
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,670
Hello K-Girl. I gave my sister an air fryer for Christmas. I don't think she's pushed the limits with it. Just basic stuff.

I now buy things like egg rolls/spring rolls at the local Asian supermarket. The instructions in "English" are... entertaining, but the food is good. Right now, I have some mini shrimp spring rolls that are quite good. I use the deep fryer, but I'm sure the air fryer would work.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,242
I really love using mine for roasting vegetables, and cooking frozen fries (already pre-fried so they come out great) Sometimes I bread chicken breast for chicken parm. It's a great reheater for pizza and leftover stuff that you want crispy. It's definitely a a very efficient convection oven.
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 15,753
Steak in the Air Fryer !


https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ml#post1654314
__________________
“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I've been doing alot of research on the `Net in regards to
cooking with my newly acquired kitchen toy.

I was reading a blog post from this gentleman who
said that you could easily make Kara'age Chicken
with this dry mix ...

Attachment 47230

I buy this one too.

Attachment 47227

So I made a batch in the AF, sprayed with some Olive Oil.
MEH
It was okay.
I guess I had this flavor and texture profile in my minds eye,
or should I say on my taste buds.

Attachment 47228

Attachment 47229

I was using my Deep Fryer to make Kara'age previously.
And I gotta tell ya, they stay crispy even once
they go cold (non-refrigerated),
the AF Chicken sadly, did not.

But in the meantime, there will be more adventures to come
as I continue to experiment.
Same here. I bought with doubts even before I made the first thing in it.
It was on sale at Costco and it was a counter top model (oven and toaster as well) with more functions than a multi-tool. It is a multi-tool. It even has a "proof" setting for dough.
Its shaped and the size of a toaster oven. Not round. We had a round one and gave it away.
We had just put down new floors and bought new appliances. So this stainless steel air fryer seemed like a perfect fit.

First I made frozen fries. I was slightly impressed. Then some chicken wings. They were great, but they were not as crispy as deep frying.
I now use it for heating rolls and other side jobs in the kitchen.
If I were to have the chance to do it over again I may just buy a straight air fryer with a spring timer and simple temp selector.
The model I have IMO does to many things. And is a bear to set each time.
In fact my wife is still asking how to use it when she wants to cook something in it.

One thing that must be learned is air frying temp. And rack position. The instructions show many uses for both rack levels.
I have yet to use the top rack as the lower rack can burn as is. You have to be careful that you do not burn things. I don't like setting the timer as I do not want it to stop on its own. I want complete control.
Also its not the same as convection as some have indicated. Our air fryer is faster, and its seems hotter.
I have a brand new gas range with convection and I am living proof they are not the same. In principle and mechanically they are. Practically they are not.

Have I mentioned my Fry Daddy still gets the most work? In fact its heating up right now for my lunch. Frozen chicken nuggets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Fryer.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	47320  
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterdown, Ontario
Posts: 5,002
Just as in the book club - I'm jumping up and down in decision!
Good review, I decide to get;
bad review, I'm glad I didn't;
mediocre review, gosh, golly, what should I do!

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Just as in the book club - I'm jumping up and down in decision!
Good review, I decide to get;
bad review, I'm glad I didn't;
mediocre review, gosh, golly, what should I do!

I make purchases based upon my own personal needs/desires.

Unless an item is universally panned, I consider a review to be just what it is, a personal opinion.

I often compare them to.. well you know.. everyone has one.

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Same here. I bought with doubts even before I made the first thing in it.
It was on sale at Costco and it was a counter top model (oven and toaster as well) with more functions than a multi-tool. It is a multi-tool. It even has a "proof" setting for dough.
Its shaped and the size of a toaster oven. Not round. We had a round one and gave it away.
We had just put down new floors and bought new appliances. So this stainless steel air fryer seemed like a perfect fit.

First I made frozen fries. I was slightly impressed. Then some chicken wings. They were great, but they were not as crispy as deep frying.
I now use it for heating rolls and other side jobs in the kitchen.
If I were to have the chance to do it over again I may just buy a straight air fryer with a spring timer and simple temp selector.
The model I have IMO does to many things. And is a bear to set each time.
In fact my wife is still asking how to use it when she wants to cook something in it.

One thing that must be learned is air frying temp. And rack position. The instructions show many uses for both rack levels.
I have yet to use the top rack as the lower rack can burn as is. You have to be careful that you do not burn things. I don't like setting the timer as I do not want it to stop on its own. I want complete control.
Also its not the same as convection as some have indicated. Our air fryer is faster, and its seems hotter.
I have a brand new gas range with convection and I am living proof they are not the same. In principle and mechanically they are. Practically they are not.

Have I mentioned my Fry Daddy still gets the most work? In fact its heating up right now for my lunch. Frozen chicken nuggets.
One thing I really like about the one we bought is that when you select the type of cooking you want to do, it automatically sets the time and temperature, although you can change it if you want, and it tells you which rack position to use.

It is convection, it's just more powerful than the ones in ovens.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-05-14-16-42.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	47321
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-05-14-27-35.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	47322
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,766
Mine has several pre-sets and I don't like the machine making that choice for me. It also automatically defrosts frozen things like fries before frying them. Here is where the issue may lie.
I always change it to what I think the temp and time ( I extend it longer than needed) should be.
So I select "Air Fry" and input the time and temp myself.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Mine has several pre-sets and I don't like the machine making that choice for me. It also automatically defrosts frozen things like fries before frying them. Here is where the issue may lie.
I always change it to what I think the temp and time ( I extend it longer than needed) should be.
So I select "Air Fry" and input the time and temp myself.
After my first month of using "pre-set" I did the same. I find that I usually lower temp and extend time. Especially when baking. Works for me.

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Mine has several pre-sets and I don't like the machine making that choice for me. It also automatically defrosts frozen things like fries before frying them. Here is where the issue may lie.
I always change it to what I think the temp and time ( I extend it longer than needed) should be.
So I select "Air Fry" and input the time and temp myself.
I was thinking my comment might help your wife learn how to use it more easily.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kitchen toys, small appliances

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.