My Air Fryer Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Recently, I got my Philips Kitchen Appliances HD9220/28 Viva Airfryer (1.8lb/2.75qt).

IMG_0625.jpg

I had planned a head just a little, and bought a coupla things to try first.

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

I don't normally buy frozen snack items, but I was eyeing
this one up for a bit.

Meh :mellow:
It was nice and crunchy on the outside but a touch
mushy in the middle. I did not use the provided dipping
sauce, rather I made up a small dish of Thai Sweet Chile Sauce.

Air Fryer Adventure #2

I've been doing alot of research on the `Net in regards to
cooking with my newly acquired kitchen toy.

I was reading a blog post from this gentleman who
said that you could easily make Kara'age Chicken
with this dry mix ...

kara`age.jpg

I buy this one too. :chef:

IMG_0634.jpg

So I made a batch in the AF, sprayed with some Olive Oil.
MEH :mellow:
It was okay.
I guess I had this flavor and texture profile in my minds eye,
or should I say on my taste buds.

DSC00853.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

I was using my Deep Fryer to make Kara'age previously.
And I gotta tell ya, they stay crispy even once
they go cold (non-refrigerated),
the AF Chicken sadly, did not.

But in the meantime, there will be more adventures to come
as I continue to experiment. :sorcerer:

Some appliances are actually sold thanks to their advertising. Not for convenience or quality. Worst of all, affiliated marketing makes the consumer stranded without proper knowledge about anything in the market. They just review the item to drive sales in order to get the affiliate commission.

There is a lot of information out there. Some good, some not so good.

It doesn't take long to find people who give information you agree with.

For instance, I buy Instant Brand appliances. Early on I found "Lana Under Pressure". She gives solid information on the Instant Pot, Vortex (my first air fryer) and the Omni Plus (my present air fryer.)

Searching will find someone with good information on whatever brand you prefer.

Ross

My adventure continues:

IMG_0635.jpg

from the other day, frozen Sweet Potato Fries (Alexia) and Chicken Tender Strips, also frozen.
Not bad.
I have to say that I purchased a different brand than I usually get, and really wasn't happy with the Chicken.

IMG_0660.jpg

I brought home my Onion Rings from linner at one of our previously favorite joints this afternoon to re-heat in the AF.
Well, I didn't care for these Rings at all.
Not due to the method, but the taste :mellow: not great.

Hello K-Girl. I gave my sister an air fryer for Christmas. I don't think she's pushed the limits with it. Just basic stuff.

I now buy things like egg rolls/spring rolls at the local Asian supermarket. The instructions in "English" are... entertaining, but the food is good. Right now, I have some mini shrimp spring rolls that are quite good. I use the deep fryer, but I'm sure the air fryer would work.

CD

I really love using mine for roasting vegetables, and cooking frozen fries (already pre-fried so they come out great) Sometimes I bread chicken breast for chicken parm. It's a great reheater for pizza and leftover stuff that you want crispy. It's definitely a a very efficient convection oven.

I've been doing alot of research on the `Net in regards to
cooking with my newly acquired kitchen toy.

I was reading a blog post from this gentleman who
said that you could easily make Kara'age Chicken
with this dry mix ...

View attachment 47230

I buy this one too. :chef:

View attachment 47227

So I made a batch in the AF, sprayed with some Olive Oil.
MEH :mellow:
It was okay.
I guess I had this flavor and texture profile in my minds eye,
or should I say on my taste buds.

View attachment 47228

View attachment 47229

I was using my Deep Fryer to make Kara'age previously.
And I gotta tell ya, they stay crispy even once
they go cold (non-refrigerated),
the AF Chicken sadly, did not.

But in the meantime, there will be more adventures to come
as I continue to experiment. :sorcerer:

Same here. I bought with doubts even before I made the first thing in it.
It was on sale at Costco and it was a counter top model (oven and toaster as well) with more functions than a multi-tool. It is a multi-tool. It even has a "proof" setting for dough.
Its shaped and the size of a toaster oven. Not round. We had a round one and gave it away.
We had just put down new floors and bought new appliances. So this stainless steel air fryer seemed like a perfect fit.

First I made frozen fries. I was slightly impressed. Then some chicken wings. They were great, but they were not as crispy as deep frying.
I now use it for heating rolls and other side jobs in the kitchen.
If I were to have the chance to do it over again I may just buy a straight air fryer with a spring timer and simple temp selector.
The model I have IMO does to many things. And is a bear to set each time.
In fact my wife is still asking how to use it when she wants to cook something in it.

One thing that must be learned is air frying temp. And rack position. The instructions show many uses for both rack levels.
I have yet to use the top rack as the lower rack can burn as is. You have to be careful that you do not burn things. I don't like setting the timer as I do not want it to stop on its own. I want complete control.
Also its not the same as convection as some have indicated. Our air fryer is faster, and its seems hotter.
I have a brand new gas range with convection and I am living proof they are not the same. In principle and mechanically they are. Practically they are not.

Have I mentioned my Fry Daddy still gets the most work? In fact its heating up right now for my lunch. Frozen chicken nuggets.

Attachments

• Air Fryer.jpg
    Air Fryer.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Just as in the book club - I'm jumping up and down in decision!
Good review, I decide to get;
bad review, I'm glad I didn't;
mediocre review, gosh, golly, what should I do!

:LOL: :wacko: :LOL:

Just as in the book club - I'm jumping up and down in decision!
Good review, I decide to get;
bad review, I'm glad I didn't;
mediocre review, gosh, golly, what should I do!

:LOL: :wacko: :LOL:

I make purchases based upon my own personal needs/desires.

Unless an item is universally panned, I consider a review to be just what it is, a personal opinion.

I often compare them to.. well you know.. everyone has one. ;)

Ross

Same here. I bought with doubts even before I made the first thing in it.
It was on sale at Costco and it was a counter top model (oven and toaster as well) with more functions than a multi-tool. It is a multi-tool. It even has a "proof" setting for dough.
Its shaped and the size of a toaster oven. Not round. We had a round one and gave it away.
We had just put down new floors and bought new appliances. So this stainless steel air fryer seemed like a perfect fit.

First I made frozen fries. I was slightly impressed. Then some chicken wings. They were great, but they were not as crispy as deep frying.
I now use it for heating rolls and other side jobs in the kitchen.
If I were to have the chance to do it over again I may just buy a straight air fryer with a spring timer and simple temp selector.
The model I have IMO does to many things. And is a bear to set each time.
In fact my wife is still asking how to use it when she wants to cook something in it.

One thing that must be learned is air frying temp. And rack position. The instructions show many uses for both rack levels.
I have yet to use the top rack as the lower rack can burn as is. You have to be careful that you do not burn things. I don't like setting the timer as I do not want it to stop on its own. I want complete control.
Also its not the same as convection as some have indicated. Our air fryer is faster, and its seems hotter.
I have a brand new gas range with convection and I am living proof they are not the same. In principle and mechanically they are. Practically they are not.

Have I mentioned my Fry Daddy still gets the most work? In fact its heating up right now for my lunch. Frozen chicken nuggets.
One thing I really like about the one we bought is that when you select the type of cooking you want to do, it automatically sets the time and temperature, although you can change it if you want, and it tells you which rack position to use.

It is convection, it's just more powerful than the ones in ovens.
2021-02-05-14-16-42.jpg
2021-02-05-14-27-35.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has several pre-sets and I don't like the machine making that choice for me. It also automatically defrosts frozen things like fries before frying them. Here is where the issue may lie.
I always change it to what I think the temp and time ( I extend it longer than needed) should be.
So I select "Air Fry" and input the time and temp myself.

Last edited:
Mine has several pre-sets and I don't like the machine making that choice for me. It also automatically defrosts frozen things like fries before frying them. Here is where the issue may lie.
I always change it to what I think the temp and time ( I extend it longer than needed) should be.

After my first month of using "pre-set" I did the same. I find that I usually lower temp and extend time. Especially when baking. Works for me.

Ross

I was thinking my comment might help your wife learn how to use it more easily.

I'm curious. Does the food go into the air fryer at the beginning of the preheat or is it like with a conventional oven, that the food usually goes in after the preheat?

I'm curious. Does the food go into the air fryer at the beginning of the preheat or is it like with a conventional oven, that the food usually goes in after the preheat?

Same as with a conventional oven taxy.
Some "recipes" call for a 2 minute preheat,
but I've found 5 minutes is better for most applications.
And rarely do I use the oil spray, there's usually
already some oil on the product by the manufacturer.

I have the Emeril LaGasbag Power AirFryer 360 oven.

images

It does everything it is supposed to do, some things better than others, but overall I am happy with the results. One tip, though. It's cheaper to buy a rotisserie chicken in the supermarket than to buy a raw chicken and do it your own self. I have rotisseried (is that a word?) Cornish game hens (two will fit on the spit) and a pork loin roast with great success.

There are certain foods I want deep fried in oil and several recipes with items that have to be pan fried in oil, so I have several frying pans, cast iron skillets and a deep fryer along with my air fryer oven. in fact, I have so many toys that my 5-foot x 7-foot kitchen can't hold them all, so I am buying a buffet and hutch to display and store them. I already bought one of these for the top of the stove to give me more counter space to work on. It's great for working pizza dough!

qEtHstXTMxWj9ldAcwe8sUcYFZu3_Oqo3l-B-MOBmDDbZa9Pe184fJGYb6r-IC9EVapUHd8=s170

I have noticed that a lot of products these days are including air fryer instructions along with the conventional and microwave instructions. To answer the preheat question, my air fryer will preheat for certain settings (i.e. air frying and baking but not toasting) and there is a buzzer that goes off when the oven is preheated. THAT'S when you add the food. I usually put the food in the basket and set it next to the oven, then slide the basket in after the buzzer goes off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom