"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

My New Blender

The famous Vitamix is a 2.5 horse blender, and people swear by the brand. Not what I got. Mine is 3 horse, very solid, with great reviews, and for half the price of the vitamix. Here's a link. Looking forward to using it for the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094B94BM...EAAAAAAAAAAe6r

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Looking forward to reading what you think of it, once you have tried it. Any idea what you want to try first?
Old 03-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I've heard good reviews about that, Chief! Made in Japan, if I recall, and very much like the VM. Not sure about whether they have a different container, that is better for dry ing., but I'm sure you know more about it, since you bought it!

Here's a tip - get some hearing protection earmuffs, to put on the counter next to it. I have that, especially for grinding those dry things, as it can be loud!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it - I use my VM more than my FP, but, of course, they are for mostly different purposes.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Looking forward to reading what you think of it, once you have tried it. Any idea what you want to try first?
thanks for advice from both of you. The first thing I'll be making is rice milk. Anyone know the best type of rice to use?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwing of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 03-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
Cupcake

No suggestions on the type of rice, but following to learn!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

High power blenders are awesome. At work I'd do citrus herb marinades for chicken with a Vitamix, I'd put whole lemons, bundles of fresh herbs, olive oil and whole cloves of garlic and this machine obliterated the rind, seeds and everything into a nicely emulsified marinade with a real lemon kick.
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
Master Chef

You can also use it to eliminate those annoying calls!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Hey Chief…

I've read some pretty good things about this company, so please let us know how you like it. About the only consistent complaint I have seen is that its "low" speed isn't close to being low (about 10k RPM), so you may have trouble with cavitation with some mixes and/or achieving chunky textures.

As for rice milk… I've used leftover cooked long grain white and brown rice with great results.
ScottinPollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

This new blender certainly will... mix things up! It's a pun! It's very funny!
Old 03-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Costs more than my food processor! That is rarely used!
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
Certified/Certifiable

Miy cheese muslin strainer cloth should get here in the mail today. Noq, I just have purchased a 1 qt. container to put the rice milk in. I'll let everyone know the results.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 04-03-2021, 12:03 AM   #12
Certified/Certifiable

The Cleanblend blender worked as advertised, i.e. very easy to use, really powerful, and made my rice milk so cream-smooth, it feels like cream in the mouth. When I strained it through tight weave straining cloth, the were no starch, or rice solids in the cloth. I am very satisfied with this powerful blender.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 04-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Glad you are so satisfied with your new blender, Chief! And you just discovered something about these super-blenders, that makes them so useful - they grind up things so fine that you don't have to strain them! If you make a lot of Mexican sauces, many of which start out with dried chiles, with tough skins, plus seeds, normally, after blending in a regular blender, then straining, about a tablespoon, sometimes more, of seeds and pieces of skin will remain in the strainer. Since I've had the Vitamix, I have not had to do this. The first couple of times I did this, everything went through the strainer, so I realized, it was all totally ground up! Sometimes a little more water is needed, for the paste to circulate, since it is thickening even more, but you figure these things out as you go along.