Need a stand mixer? Avoid tilt-head KitchenAids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally love my KA. It's relatively new and I haven't had any problems with it. Sure, every once in a while I feel like I'm trying to kill it (esp when DH made a thick firm gingerbread dough this past XMas), but it's still going. I've had a lot of people tell me that they also love their KA's.

I am not going to bad mouth a brand of mixer based on one persons experience not getting what they want after the warranty period has expired.
With nothing implied or intended regarding Laurel and her experience, there is no way for KitchenAid to know if the mixer was abused or mis-used. My KitchenAid mixers are well used and keep on going. The Delonghi/Kenwood I had died right out of the box (They make the Viking).

As for this misconception that they were GREAT when Hobart owned them and lousy now that Whirlpool owns them, I can show you the boxes of HOBART-KitchenAid made attachments made out of plastic. I can show you the dead Hobart/KitchenAid mixers bought for parts.
According to Cooks Illustrated and Consumer Reports, KitchenAid continues to be the best home mixer on the market.

Plastic attachments and plastic gear housings are a bit different.

Do some research before you buy. Watch reports/COMPLAIN in writing/Ask4Supervisors!r

Plastic attachments and plastic gear housings are a bit different.

I have a KitchebnAid Pro6, the bigger one with the stronger motor, and it has been great so far. Two years and going. But I love doing my research, and found Bad News about the NEWER ARTISAN. It seems to LEAK and have transmission problems. So go to this site or go to any search type in KITCHENAID MIXER, COMPLAINTS and see what comes up.

Consumer complaints about KitchenAid Mixers

In the past I have had to deal with Whirlpool for a problem MAYTAG. They took a while, but I kept calling and asking for a higher department, discussed SAFETY HAZARDS which seems to be a BUZZ WORD, and finally got a replacement. The key is do not give up if you have a problem. Most companies will take care of you if you have a case, and annoy them enough.

Best of Luck!
Candy

I am not going to bad mouth a brand of mixer based on one persons experience not getting what they want after the warranty period has expired.

Ok, then lets bad mouth the KA mixer from more than one persons experiences!

I smoked two and am working on a third.

With nothing implied or intended regarding Laurel and her experience, there is no way for KitchenAid to know if the mixer was abused or mis-used.

True.

I watched In Julias Kitchen today. There was a guest making bread sticks using what looked like a Pro 5. This guest started the dough using the paddle. ? Then she put the dough hook on the machine and ran the machine at speed 4 or 5. ?? I've had three KA in the last year, my ears have gotten pretty good at 'hearing' how fast the mixer is running. And in one shot I could see the mixers speed lever was set in the mid range.

And the machine was bouncing around like you wouldn't believe.

In short, you see a pro do something on the Tube you think it's an acceptable practice. No, not always.

>>>

After doing in the second Pro 5 transmission I was talking to KA Customer Service. CS was telling me that autolise is a second kneeding. What?

>>>

After buying the first KA I realized there was a big difference in the philosophy in which the mixer was built. The old(er) KAs had motor brushes which could be replaced with nothing more than removing the brush plug. The new KAs are sealed, replacement of expendable items (brushes) requires disassembly. When there are funny smells (with two mixers) I can't inspect the brushes to see if their smoked.

Short is: Indicates these mixers are now disposables.

>>>

Noises? I have used two old(er) KAs and witnessed a third in heavy action. The old machines are SMOOTH! All three of my new machines made nasty noises. The first new KA made 'burr' noises and was rough in the beginning, then the roughness went away and it just made noises. The second one made a sort of bang noise right from the beginning. The Pro 600 just makes lash noises.

In a way I hope the 600 makes it through the warranty period so I can take it apart and set the gears so they run smooth. In a way I hope it doesn't make it through the warranty period.

>>>

I will say the older machines I used didn't have the grunt/ torque of the newer Pro 5 or 600.

The third older machine I only watched being used seemed to have ample torque, but , that machine was from the mid to later 60's when I believe KA was a commercially rated mixer.

>>>

Then you have the N-50. I forget it's exact rating, 325 or 350 watts. So how is it if we tied a N-50 "bumper to bumper" to my Pro 600 rated at 575 watts (?) why would my 600 end up a plie of twisted scrap? I believe the N-50 uses a full speed motor with a gear box to achieve different speeds where the KA uses variable voltage and amperage and motor speeds.

Eventually I will go to the Hoibart dealer and check out the prices of the new and used commercial equipment. Get an eyeball on the cost of accessories and tooling.

The Delonghi/Kenwood I had died right out of the box (They make the Viking).

After smoking the second Pro 5 I started checking out other mixers. The Viking isn't all that highly thought of.

As for this misconception that they were GREAT when Hobart owned them and lousy now that Whirlpool owns them, I can show you the boxes of HOBART-KitchenAid made attachments made out of plastic. I can show you the dead Hobart/KitchenAid mixers bought for parts.

Let's not let reality quash the Bash Fest!

:LOL:

According to Cooks Illustrated and Consumer Reports, KitchenAid continues to be the best home mixer on the market.

What can you say.

I'm into other types of equipment. Woodworking being one type.

To give up some of my old stuff for whats top rated today wouldn't exactly be an upgrade.

"New and improved" is often just not true! I wish I could get my old Chrysler V-8 engine BELVEDERE back! What a great running old car. The cops drove those then!

I think the old KitchenAid's were made with more steel and less plastic and rubber, same as the old cars. My newer 1997 Buick had a plastic intake manifold. They are now in a class action suit 10 years later. Still selling them though! They catch fire and explode, or just die and leak fluid everywhere. I had a $3000 repair, but I was still under warranty, luckily!

Interesting, manufacturers know they are putting junk out, but it is cheap, so they don't care, and they hope it will last past the warranty. So the consumer gets the short end of the stick. That is why I try hard to check out all the RECALLS and the Consumer complaints! Recalls keep coming in, and the government will force them to make good on many things. It is worth following up. Also hook into any class action suits you find. They give deals back, like big coupons off another product. Worth checking out.

I have gotten new products replaced for the ones made badly, but it is almost like having a full time job checking it out.

For a glimpse go to: Free Recall Warnings and Alerts, Consumer Product Recalls, Baby Product Recalls, Food Recalls, Car and Auto Recalls, Drug Recalls, Tire Recalls

Everything is there, just go to your product category.

My friend Kelly and I have had several discussions regarding Whirlpool vs Hobart KA mixers.

He is of the opinion that the Whirlpool KA's new wide bowl design incorporates ingredients better than the narrow bowl design of the Hobart mixers. He also thinks the new mixers are more powerful than the old ones.

I on the other hand, think that the older mixers were better made than the new ones, with higher quality parts and materials.

It is a discussion neither of us truly wins, but I tease him about the fact that he always keeps a Hobart KA 4C mixer in addition to his big fancy Whirlpool pro 600 mixer.:ROFLMAO:

I always emphasize that my Hobart KA's are from anywhere from 1930s up to 1978 are quiet and dependable; and I would put them against his baby anytime, anyplace!:LOL:

Not saying anything one way or the other about the KitchenAid quality today, but Consumer Reports has been known to be EXTREMELY brand biased in the past and to this day.

I haven't owned a Whirlpool KA mixer, so I wouldn't know. I had an old Hobart KA45, which I was gifted, used, and it ran beautifully. I would still be using it, but I was given the opportunity to buy a Hobart N-50 for pennies. It would outwork John Henry. The odds are I will never know how well a new KA performs. ;)

I haven't owned a Whirlpool KA mixer, so I wouldn't know. I had an old Hobart KA45, which I was gifted, used, and it ran beautifully. I would still be using it, but I was given the opportunity to buy a Hobart N-50 for pennies. It would outwork John Henry. The odds are I will never know how well a new KA performs. ;)

and after reading all this, neither will i. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom