Need recommendation for refrigerator thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
My old refrigerator died last week, so instead of pouring more money into it, we decided to get a new fridge.
I ended up getting a great deal on a 27.2 cu. ft. french door, bottom freezer Frigidaire Gallery unit.
It's just as nice looking and even a little bigger than our old Samsung (only 1 icemaker, though), but the biggest complaints on it are about how the temp readouts pn the control panel in the door are inaccurate.

So, I figured I could put a portable thermometer in it to be better able to gauge the settings.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fridge thermometer? I'd prefer digital, unless you can swear by an analog one and the readout is clearly graduated. Accuracy is more important.

I've looked into several; some with memory, some with external probes, but all I need is a known, good, basic thermometer.

TIA.

Can you re-calibrate the thermometer in the refrigerator?

Check the owners manual, some have a reset button or an adjustment nut/screw that you turn to adjust/set the thermometer.

Thanks, B. I thought of that, but the user manual is useless. I'll have to go online to look up schematics.

Still, I'll need a reference in order to set the displays.

Thanks, Andy.

I think I'll buy a cheap probe type, that way I can get a rough estimate of accuracy near the range of temp by dipping the probe in icewater.

Before you buy a probe type thermometer, check the temperature range. Many of them don't go down low enough to be of use in the refrigerator or freezer.

Thermoworks is having an inventory reduction sale through Jan. 4, and they have a few refrigerator thermometers on sale. I don't have any experience with their refrigerator thermometers, but their cooking thermometers are generally highly rated. I recently purchased one of their Thermopop cooking thermometers, and it's way faster than the Polder I've been using.

Their recording thermometer that stores max / min temperatures and times looks interesting.

Back
Top Bottom