New grease for my KitchenAid mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbqcoder

Senior Cook
My mixer is almost thirty years old. It’s a KSM5 model where the head its fixed but the bowl goes up and down. It has never been taken apart to be regreased but I finally did it this past week after hearing a weird noise.

It wasn’t too bad of a process. I was surprised how good most of the grease was and that it could still be reused. I just removed the portion that was old crusty looking or had broken down into pebbles. Just redistributed the grease into the parts that needed it and added some new grease. Wasn’t too difficult to do. Hope the mixer will last another thirty years. LOL.

I will plan to check on the mixer again in a few years now I know how to do it. Has anyone else done this?

I’m thinking of maybe looking for a used mixer on Craigslist and refurbishing now that I know how to take it apart.

Where did you get the directions to do it? I got mine in 1985 it's a K5SS. Also a bowl lift model.

My KitchenAid mixer started leaking oil a few years ago. DH found YouTube videos about how to fix it and he took it apart, too. Like you said, it was pretty easy after watching the videos.

Search YouTube... there are quite a few vids that walk you through the process step by step.

Yes, this is what I did. I didn't find a video that dealt with my specific mixer as the ones I found were for the motor lift but the motor is the same for all of them.

If I recall, I started by removing the 4 screws that held the motor to the stand. From there, I was able to follow the other videos. The only difficulty I had was trying to move the power cord out of the slot. I couldn't do it. So I just left it attached and was careful when I separated the motor housing.

Just take it slow and work on an old towel so you don't get grease everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom