New Range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got it. Forgot that those in my family who do have 2 ovens are usually a wall oven and one in the stove.

While we're at it. Used to be able to get wall ovens with doors that opend to the side. They were perfect.

Ever watch Lydia B. putting a casserole into her wall oven? Wonder how many burns she suffered to her chest.

Can't see the difference in difficulty of bending with a heavy object and if being heavy enough you have to almost straddle that door. Or lifting in or out a heavy object over a door that is at chest height.

Doesn\t make sense.
It's been over fifty years since I lived in a house with a wall oven, so I don't remember about the door. But, my mum loved having the oven in the wall. You can pull the oven rack forward so you don't have to reach as far into the oven to put stuff in or take it out. For stuff that isn't too heavy, you could stand at the side of the oven to put stuff on that pulled out rack.

Got it. Forgot that those in my family who do have 2 ovens are usually a wall oven and one in the stove.

While we're at it. Used to be able to get wall ovens with doors that opend to the side. They were perfect.

Ever watch Lydia B. putting a casserole into her wall oven? Wonder how many burns she suffered to her chest.

Can't see the difference in difficulty of bending with a heavy object and if being heavy enough you have to almost straddle that door. Or lifting in or out a heavy object over a door that is at chest height.

Doesn\t make sense.
My in-laws' double oven is like this one - the upper oven is smaller than the lower one, and you have to bend almost down to the floor to put a turkey on the lowest rack.

My parents had a house with a double wall oven when I was growing up. It was a custom built house, so she may have had the builders install the oven a little lower than usual because she's about five feet tall.

Shoot, forgot the picture! [emoji16] kfed500ebs-kitchenaid-6-7-cu-ft-30-free-standing-double-oven-electric-range-with-5-burners-and-e.jpg

Taxy, all racks slide in and out to some degree. Some easier than others. There are times you don't want to jiggle the rack/pan too much in doing so. Plus with a heavy turkey on it?, well, can't say it really helps much.

I was blind-sighted by ATK's sliding oven racks and so was thrilled with my new oven that has one rack with the "easy glide out" feature.
Then I discovered that the mechanism to make it an 'easy glide out' reduced the dimensions of the rack significantly and limiting the space usable. Not happy about that one.
Live and Learn!

Taxy, all racks slide in and out to some degree. Some easier than others. There are times you don't want to jiggle the rack/pan too much in doing so. Plus with a heavy turkey on it?, well, can't say it really helps much.

I was blind-sighted by ATK's sliding oven racks and so was thrilled with my new oven that has one rack with the "easy glide out" feature.
Then I discovered that the mechanism to make it an 'easy glide out' reduced the dimensions of the rack significantly and limiting the space usable. Not happy about that one.
Live and Learn!

Yes, I realize that all oven racks slide in and out. And yes, sometimes you don't want to jiggle them, but most of the time, it's not a problem. Is that even a problem once the food is done? How do you get the food out without jiggling it? You can probably still get at the food, without pulling out the rack, by leaning a little bit from the side.

Yes, I realize that all oven racks slide in and out. And yes, sometimes you don't want to jiggle them, but most of the time, it's not a problem. Is that even a problem once the food is done? How do you get the food out without jiggling it? You can probably still get at the food, without pulling out the rack, by leaning a little bit from the side.
I agree that most of the time it isn't a problem. Years ago, I started using a sheet pan to move quiche, pumpkin pie and other wet foods into the oven. This confines any spills to the pan and, as you said, Taxy, once they're cooked, it's not a problem.

Update:
Looks like the double oven is a resounding NO!
We went to the store and found a very similar oven made by LG as well.
The very minute I bent over to open the bottom oven I knew it was wrong for me. I have had 3 back surgeries and my wife has had 3 as well. The double oven is not for either of us.
Its like reaching down to open the storage drawer on the bottom of a regular range.

Not to mention the ovens are smaller. I now know the only way I will have two ovens is the counter top oven we have and the main oven in the range.
I would love a wall oven, but I doubt that happens.

Now I am having buyers remorse about the gas line. I had everything I needed to run a 5/8" copper tube line and then changed my mind and got everything for 1/2".
Now I am not so sure. I can return everything as I have not opened anything.
This has really turned into a big deal after all.

Roll_Bones I feel for you.

Sometimes we over think things to the point of no matter what we do we regret what we didn't do. :mad: :LOL:

I, for one, have never found the perfect solution, I can only hope, with the decision I do make, that the faults are ones I can live with.

time for a chart of pros and cons? Helps to whittle it down?

I think the ⅝" is best for the first run into the house and up to the gas range if you have multiple high output burners. According to an expert, the fewer angles in the line the better.

Good luck with whatever you settle on!

I don't know what the total BTU/hr would be on any of the ranges you might get, or the length of the pipe run, but the plumber who ran the lines to mine, back in '83, used 1" pipes (two of them, since there are two gas inputs on mine), and the maximum BTU/hr on the main side would be 158,000. He said that 50 feet would carry well over 200k, and mine was under 30 feet, but 2 turns, so that was good. This discussion pipe size brought this to mind, so I looked this up, and found that pipes actually had more BTU/hr capacity for propane, than the same pipe carrying NG. So that 1/2" may be sufficient, even with high heat burners and one oven, depending on the length of the run. You've probably seen this, or another chart, but here is one I found, that shows different charts for copper tubing.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-gas-pipe-sizing-d_827.html

Last edited:
Roll_Bones I feel for you.

Sometimes we over think things to the point of no matter what we do we regret what we didn't do. :mad: :LOL:

I, for one, have never found the perfect solution, I can only hope, with the decision I do make, that the faults are ones I can live with.

time for a chart of pros and cons? Helps to whittle it down?

Thank you. Your right.

Good luck with whatever you settle on!

I don't know what the total BTU/hr would be on any of the ranges you might get, or the length of the pipe run, but the plumber who ran the lines to mine, back in '83, used 1" pipes (two of them, since there are two gas inputs on mine), and the maximum BTU/hr on the main side would be 158,000. He said that 50 feet would carry well over 200k, and mine was under 30 feet, but 2 turns, so that was good. This discussion pipe size brought this to mind, so I looked this up, and found that pipes actually had more BTU/hr capacity for propane, than the same pipe carrying NG. So that 1/2" may be sufficient, even with high heat burners and one oven, depending on the length of the run. You've probably seen this, or another chart, but here is one I found, that shows different charts for copper tubing.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-gas-pipe-sizing-d_827.html

Dave, Thanks. I have seen that chart 100 times in two days. I have no idea how to read it?
Yes, iron pipes run in houses are much larger than a single line for a gas range. Expansion being the main reason.

I picked out and ordered a range yesterday.
https://www.lg.com/us/cooking-appliances/lg-LRG4115ST-gas-range

I am slowing way down and going to take my time on the supply line. I have been given the "go ahead" with the 1/2" copper tubing from the gas company and a friend that does plumbing.
However, LG has not yet provided me with a total gas requirement.
They give out the each burner and the broiler and oven BTU. But I have been told you do not add up all the burners BTU output.
Kinda like you don't add up the breakers in a electrical panel to get its rating. This makes sense, but I could envision everything being on at once except the oven and broiler.

So thank you and stay tuned.....lol

Looks geat, RB! Glad you found such a nice range. Nothing like that high heat burner, but I'll bet that low heat burner goes way down, for low simmering - the one thing my range didn't have. And that oven is large - I see that there isn't that large drawer under it, as is the norm, but a small one (if that's even a drawer). I hope you have many enjoyable years of cooking ahead on it!

Thanks Andy. I put in several hours and a couple trips to town to come to a decision. I hope it turns out okay?
I just got an email telling me the delivery has been extended now until September 16th.
So I have lots of time to install the gas line and digest the expenses I have incurred over the last month.
All new floors and painting happened before the purchase of the Fridge and now the range.

Thanks Dave. Yea I think its going to be a good choice. Like I mention to Andy, I did the legwork.
The bottom drawer you see is a warming drawer. What that means escapes me. Now I'm looking again and don't see "warming drawer" in the description.
I saw it in Lowe's description. So I guess we shall see.

And yes, the oven is the biggest I could find in its class. Its also has convection. I figured convection would be good especially with a gas oven.

Okay guys and gals thanks for all the help. John

Official Definition: Warming Drawer

The drawer under the oven where you keep half sheet pans, racks and roasting pans.

I do keep extra things down below in my "warming drawer". All my other ovens which had drawers below would naturally get warm with the use of the oven and I would put plates or filled dishes waiting to go on the table in there.

This stove actually has a setting to turn on as it doesn't seem to get warm on its own. Go figure that one out! Took me a while to realize my plates weren't all that warm and I still don't remember to turn it on when I want it. LOL

I do keep extra things down below in my "warming drawer". All my other ovens which had drawers below would naturally get warm with the use of the oven and I would put plates or filled dishes waiting to go on the table in there.

This stove actually has a setting to turn on as it doesn't seem to get warm on its own. Go figure that one out! Took me a while to realize my plates weren't all that warm and I still don't remember to turn it on when I want it. LOL
Mine works the same way. It would be a waste of energy if it was on all the time, eh? ;)

RB, imagine on Thanksgiving, you might have some dishes that are ready to eat and you want to keep them warm. That's what a warming drawer is for. I mostly use mine for storage.

Back
Top Bottom