"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I just moved last week, and bought new appliances, too. It's been 50 years since I've had a gas stove, so I may have to learn to cook a whole new way! The last time I was 17, and still living with my dad. I haven't lived anyplace since then that gas was available.

I went with the GE Cafe dual fuel drop in range, and the 4 door Cafe refrigerator. The stove has 6 burners, with an optional griddle over the middle 2, and 2 ovens. Neither oven is as large as a single, but I don't make huge roasts and birds anymore, so the small top oven will probably get the most use. I can set the smaller drawer in the middle of the fridge to either fridge or freezer.

Now I just have to get my pans and dishes unpacked and my counters cleared off so I can try them out.
Ooh, neato Please let us know how you like the new appliances as you start using them.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #122
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I just moved last week, and bought new appliances, too. It's been 50 years since I've had a gas stove, so I may have to learn to cook a whole new way! The last time I was 17, and still living with my dad. I haven't lived anyplace since then that gas was available.

I went with the GE Cafe dual fuel drop in range, and the 4 door Cafe refrigerator. The stove has 6 burners, with an optional griddle over the middle 2, and 2 ovens. Neither oven is as large as a single, but I don't make huge roasts and birds anymore, so the small top oven will probably get the most use. I can set the smaller drawer in the middle of the fridge to either fridge or freezer.

Now I just have to get my pans and dishes unpacked and my counters cleared off so I can try them out.
Those are really nice! I'm not looking forward to packing up the kitchen prior to it being gutted. But I am looking forward to the kitchen being completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Nicely done, with both appliances.

Our life is apartment living from now on so, we won't be having those type lovely appliances anymore.

Ross
Is the kitchen small or are you locked into what appliances came with the apartment?

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #123
Executive Chef

Okay. Our range finally arrived last Friday. Was a long wait, but it did come and it was in perfect condition.
After having propane installed and rewiring for gas, I was ready.
But then the horror! Not Again!?
The range did not fit the opening! It was tight but we luckily were able to open up the spot and finally push it in.
I have cooked and baked on it for a week now. I like it, but am having trouble getting used to the touch panel.
Also the cook top. Since the grates are a few inches above the burners, crumbs and grease spots are falling in and I must remove the grates to clean it up.
I made some toast nearby and got crumbs in there.
I hope I get used to more steps when cleaning up?
So, I took this picture and here it is. Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new range (3).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	44115  
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #124
Chef Extraordinaire

Whew. I'm glad you were able to get it to fit. I have a similar stove - you'll get used to the cleaning.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #125
Certified Pretend Chef

Now I'm jealous. Glad it all worked out. I like the griddle in the middle.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #126
Executive Chef

Great looking stove. I'm envious, in a good way.

Ross
Old 11-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #127
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
O
I like it, but am having trouble getting used to the touch panel.

I hope I get used to more steps when cleaning up?
So, I took this picture and here it is. Thanks all.
Beautiful stove, congrats!

My touch panel it at the back of the stove - no big deal but with my arthritis developing at a gallop, it is very difficult to use. Have to use my knuckles to press.

yup, you'll develop get a knack for cleaning.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #128
Head Chef

Nice!

I sure hope you love it as much as I love my new range.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #129
Cupcake

It looks beautiful! Almost like a show piece stove!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #130
Head Chef

Glad you finally got it in, and are cooking on it, RB! I'm sure that you'll learn to love it, and will have many delicious dishes from that range.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #131
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Our new stove arrived today!!
Old 11-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #132
Executive Chef

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes, I am certain I will learn to use it and learn to clean it up. I am lucky my wife helps me.
The touch panel is just that. Touch, like a smart phone screen. I had trouble with my first smart phone too. Now I'm an old pro!
I also installed the stainless steel back splash. The hood was already installed long ago.
The back splash is another thing I must clean. I just hope I did not make more work for myself.
I am very happy I chose gas and even more happy I ended up with the "slide in" style over the "freestanding" style.
Oh...the oven is bigger than my last range. Three racks instead of two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Our new stove arrived today!!
What did you get Frank?
Old 11-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #133
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...I also installed the stainless steel back splash...
I like that backsplash as well. Much easier to clean than the ceramic tile I had installed.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #134
Executive Chef

Quick tip for the back splash. Put up a quick sheet of foil if you are making something messy. Leave it up, remove and replace when needed.

I actually have to cover my vents in deep freeze times. Found icicles hanging down to the burners one year. Easy enough to rip off when starting to cook and then easily replaced when finished.

Touch pad style eh? Lucky you! Mine are really hard to press, have had comments from others one it.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #135
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I like that backsplash as well. Much easier to clean than the ceramic tile I had installed.
Maybe, but it needs cleaning it seems after any use. Very streaky and must be addressed often.
Just like the stove top that acts like a oil and crumb collection area. Its like a big reservoir for stuff that must be removed.
The electric was so much easier to clean and did not require removing anything to clean it. I have to remove the continuous grates for each cleaning. And you must make it sparkle as its stainless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Quick tip for the back splash. Put up a quick sheet of foil if you are making something messy. Leave it up, remove and replace when needed.
I actually have to cover my vents in deep freeze times. Found icicles hanging down to the burners one year. Easy enough to rip off when starting to cook and then easily replaced when finished.

Touch pad style eh? Lucky you! Mine are really hard to press, have had comments from others one it.
Thanks for that idea. I will use a piece of foil from now on. I have a giant roll of foil so it will be easy.
Do you reuse the foil? I could tuck it into the oven between uses.

What do you mean about the vents?

Trust me, the touch pad is not easy for me. Just like my smart phone was until I learned the right touch....lol

Oh...LG sells a protective liner that covers the bottom of the burner reservoir.
Its one piece and can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
Its $49 so I am curious if any of you have tried it? Okay thanks friends. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Stove-Prot.../dp/B07ZHPC16Z
Old 11-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #136
Head Chef

Quote:
Oh...LG sells a protective liner that covers the bottom of the burner reservoir.
Its one piece and can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
Its $49 so I am curious if any of you have tried it? Okay thanks friends. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Stove-Prot.../dp/B07ZHPC16Z
I have that for my GE. They make it for almost any make and model. It's OK. It does help a lot with the grease splatters. But it's much thinner than you would expect for the price. Feels flimsy, but does the job.

It's not really dishwasher safe. It's too damn big to stand up in the dishwasher. It's made of some kind of fiber, covered in a plastic or silicone. There's no finish on the edge. It appears that it can fray. I had to trim it a bit with scissors before using. You can't fold it because it creases. No way to get the creases out.

Like I said, it helps a lot, but doesn't solve everything. I read all of the mixed reviews and decided to try it anyway. For me, any help keeping it cleaner is worth $50.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #137
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Maybe, but it needs cleaning it seems after any use. Very streaky and must be addressed often...
I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'll stick with the tiles.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #138
Executive Chef

Quote:

Thanks for that idea. I will use a piece of foil from now on. I have a giant roll of foil so it will be easy.
Do you reuse the foil? I could tuck it into the oven between uses.

What do you mean about the vents?

Trust me, the touch pad is not easy for me. Just like my smart phone was until I learned the right touch....lol
Wall back of my stove is tile, so I don't use foil there. I would if it was a panel such as you have. On the wall I would just change as needed and put up new.

My air/vents are directly over the stove top and vent directly outside. In super freezing weather, frost and ice form from the warm air going to outside. Not while it is actually being used but overnight as temps drop.

My "touch-pad" panel is actually a "push-pad" panel and those buttons are at the back of the stove (not the front) are really hard to depress. P I A
Old 11-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #139
Certified Pretend Chef

I donít think I would like the look of foil taped over the SS panel in my brand new kitchen. I guarantee SO would not be happy with that.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:03 AM   #140
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I donít think I would like the look of foil taped over the SS panel in my brand new kitchen. I guarantee SO would not be happy with that.
Even if it was only on the back splash during cooking?