New Range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, the range at the local store was $20 less than Lowe's (or anyone else's) price. The extra $40 was because I no longer got "free" delivery and had to pay for take-away. Still worth it.

I won't even go into my hatred for LG. "Life's Good"? More like "lousy garbage"...

Yes. Price was as good or better than most. I hope LG is not garbage. I have a new fridge from them as well.
The reason we bought it was the construction. When I opened the door to the LG after looking at several, I could feel a remarkable difference as to quality.
Kinda like opening the door to a Mercedes vs a Ford. Remarkable.
It may have been due to it having one door for the fridge with bottom freezer. Looks more professional to. We thought we wanted the french doors and we were wrong. Will see I guess. Thanks.

I can't even imagine buying a major appliance online, for all the service and delivery reasons.

It was my first experience and its likley I never do that again.
But the local store also must order it and it must be delivered to them. So other than me seeing any shipping issues vs them seeing any shipping issues seems the same?
Thanks

This looks and sound great RB....oh how you'll love cooking with gas!

Very nice! We also selected a LG range when we get our kitchen remodeled. (The remodel starts around November 9! I'm very excited.) I hope you share how you enjoy cooking on it!

Kathleen!!!! Ohmygosh you'll be saying goodby to your wonderful old range?
:cry:

Kathleen!!!! Ohmygosh you'll be saying goodby to your wonderful old range?
:cry:

I know. It honestly does hurt. However, getting a completely new kitchen for approximately the same price as sending the stove off for reconditioning is my consolation prize. A fridge larger than 18 sq feet....matching cabinets.....more lighting.... new floor.....etc.

I will shed a few tears....but....it has been red tagged and we barely got it approved to use again. Firemen get testy when your stove/oven spews carbon monoxide. :rolleyes:

I know. It honestly does hurt. However, getting a completely new kitchen for approximately the same price as sending the stove off for reconditioning is my consolation prize. A fridge larger than 18 sq feet....matching cabinets.....more lighting.... new floor.....etc.

I will shed a few tears....but....it has been red tagged and we barely got it approved to use again. Firemen get testy when your stove/oven spews carbon monoxide. :rolleyes:

Many here haven't seen the old girl Kathleen, and I'd love to see her again.

Your safety is the most important thing and I hope you let us see all your new goodies for the kitchen.

Kathleen, please post a pic of your old range. I'm one of the ones who have not seen it. You have piqued my interest.

So, Kathleen, why is your range "spewing carbon monoxide"? I have a CO sensor in my kitchen (as well as the basement, for the water heater and heater), in case of something detefective causing CO being released, but I have never had any CO sensed at all, even when baking cookies for many hours in a row at Christmas time. Probably more CO2 than normal, but it takes a lot of burners on for that to matter (probably not enough to help the plants!) And that 37 year old range of mine will outlive me, and the next owner of the house! But commercial ranges are built to be abused, and a lot of those old ranges were built the same way.

Last edited:

Kathleen... just a word of caution.. has anyone 'volunteered' to remove your stove? I would be a bit leary - have never heard of oven/stoves spewing carbon monoxide. I've been around gas stoves all my life...

your old stove could be worth as few $$$

Many here haven't seen the old girl Kathleen, and I'd love to see her again.

Your safety is the most important thing and I hope you let us see all your new goodies for the kitchen.

Kayelle... the range will be available soon if you would like it. You have to pick up though. :)

So, Kathleen, why is your range "spewing carbon monoxide"? I have a CO sensor in my kitchen (as well as the basement, for the water heater and heater), in case of something detefective causing CO being released, but I have never had any CO sensed at all, even when baking cookies for many hours in a row at Christmas time. Probably more CO2 than normal, but it takes a lot of burners on for that to matter (probably not enough to help the plants!) And that 37 year old range of mine will outlive me, and the next owner of the house! But commercial ranges are built to be abused, and a lot of those old ranges were built the same way.

We had an incident where the the floor of the oven separated and ended up with part laying on the oven burner which caused incomplete combustion. We did not realize what was happening until after the detector called the alarm company who alerted the fire department.

The range is a Caloric that was built between 1949 and 1951, so nominally 70 years old. It is time to retire it, unless Kayelle wants to pick it up. :LOL:

FrankZ That makes sense, that something defective caused the CO, from incomplete combustion. And something that old would be expensive to repair, unless you have a friend into welding, and metal work in general!

Good luck with the new range, and have fun in your new kitchen!

Last edited:
I just researched Vintage Caloric Stoves. That looks sooo much like the one we had at our cottage for years!

Gosh, one always remembers the first stove that burnt off their eyebrows and eyelashes! (several times)

I've always wanted one again with the 2nd smaller oven. Sigh.

Kathleen... just a word of caution.. has anyone 'volunteered' to remove your stove? I would be a bit leary - have never heard of oven/stoves spewing carbon monoxide. I've been around gas stoves all my life...

your old stove could be worth as few $$$

It may well be worth something. Personally, I would like to find someone who could restore and love it. I loved this stove and it came with the house that I purchased. It had never been plugged in for its backlight or anything, so I got an outlet and all worked great EXCEPT for one burner. 30 years ago, I was certain that I could find someone to restore it. Never have found anyone local. To send it off, have it restored and returned would cost nearly half of the kitchen remodel. Now, I am down to one burner that works well. Another that is limping along. And a third that must be lit with a match. The oven spewed CO when the oven floor collapsed. The fire department red tagged it. We called someone who specialized in antique stoves, but it was more antique than the repairman could handle. We fixed it with a few screws and have hoped for the best since. But now the seals around the oven door are also going and we see a lot of rapid aging in the oven. The porcelain is discoloring, etc. If a volunteer picks it up, restores it and moves it along to a good home, I'd be thrilled.

So, when do we see pix of the old stove?

Attached, just for you and Kayelle!

I just researched Vintage Caloric Stoves. That looks sooo much like the one we had at our cottage for years!

Gosh, one always remembers the first stove that burnt off their eyebrows and eyelashes! (several times)

I've always wanted one again with the 2nd smaller oven. Sigh.

It really does make me exceptionally sad to know her days are numbered. But safety aside, I simply could not justify the price to restore her when no one local could do it. :( My original metal cabinets are also going.

Attachments

• Stove.JPG
    Stove.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0490.JPG
    DSC_0490.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Poor you, Kathleen. You have my sympathy, it is like loosing your adoring, faithful pet, whose each and every little weird quirks you knew so well.

Once your new kitchen is done, have a glass of wine to toast an old friend and cook up a storm to celebrate their memory.

That looks just like the stove that was in our first apartment after we moved here to Virginia in 1985. It was a great stove. I do not miss the vintage fridge in that kitchen, though [emoji16]

I just moved last week, and bought new appliances, too. It's been 50 years since I've had a gas stove, so I may have to learn to cook a whole new way! The last time I was 17, and still living with my dad. I haven't lived anyplace since then that gas was available.

I went with the GE Cafe dual fuel drop in range, and the 4 door Cafe refrigerator. The stove has 6 burners, with an optional griddle over the middle 2, and 2 ovens. Neither oven is as large as a single, but I don't make huge roasts and birds anymore, so the small top oven will probably get the most use. I can set the smaller drawer in the middle of the fridge to either fridge or freezer.

Now I just have to get my pans and dishes unpacked and my counters cleared off so I can try them out.

Attachments

• 20201011_150635.jpg
    20201011_150635.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 64
Nicely done, with both appliances. :)

Our life is apartment living from now on so, we won't be having those type lovely appliances anymore. :neutral:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom