New Range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my area a lot of the propane dealers deliver 100 pound bottles to houses that are otherwise all electric but have gas cooking stoves. It is common to see two bottles side beside as they share a special valve which will switch one tank that is near empty to the full bottle beside it automatically.

This valve has a feature to display a red flag when that switching has occurred so that the delivery driver can just look from a distance and
see it as he travels his routes. If the red signal is showing he will bring a new bottle off the truck and replace the empty bottle, reset the valve, leave a bill, and take the empty bottle back to the truck. Simple, not too expensive, & effective.

9k=
9k=
images

The automatic switching regulator valve showing the red signal to alert the delivery route driver to replace one of the 100 lb bottles. (otherwise
the window will be clear)

LPR-1-2.jpg

A lot of people will have a space heater or two in their all electric home so that if the power goes out they will still have backup heat. With a Gas range or gas grill outdoors you could still have hot water heated in pots or a stock pot.

My range is electric and although my furnace (forced air) is propane, I have space heaters so that if the power goes out I can live in my larger bathroom. Since I have a camper van I can bring in and use my camper shower. It is a 2 gallon garden sprayer with a kitchen sink sprinkler hose installed on to it.

I just pour suitably hot water in it and pump it up. By pushing the lever on the handle I have hot water on demand to shower & shave with.

P1170167.jpg

Last edited:
I have that for my GE. They make it for almost any make and model. It's OK. It does help a lot with the grease splatters. But it's much thinner than you would expect for the price. Feels flimsy, but does the job.

It's not really dishwasher safe. It's too damn big to stand up in the dishwasher. It's made of some kind of fiber, covered in a plastic or silicone. There's no finish on the edge. It appears that it can fray. I had to trim it a bit with scissors before using. You can't fold it because it creases. No way to get the creases out.

Like I said, it helps a lot, but doesn't solve everything. I read all of the mixed reviews and decided to try it anyway. For me, any help keeping it cleaner is worth $50.

Yes, very mixed reviews. But at this point $50 for a little help is going to happen. If it helps even a little, it will be successful. Yesterday I made a burrito for lunch. Had to clean it just for that. And still had dinner to make later. Thanks.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'll stick with the tiles.

Since I am cooking for two, I am not using the rear burners. So I might have over stated the problem.
But for certain cleaning time and effort has increased for range and backsplash.

Wall back of my stove is tile, so I don't use foil there. I would if it was a panel such as you have. On the wall I would just change as needed and put up new.

My air/vents are directly over the stove top and vent directly outside. In super freezing weather, frost and ice form from the warm air going to outside. Not while it is actually being used but overnight as temps drop.

My "touch-pad" panel is actually a "push-pad" panel and those buttons are at the back of the stove (not the front) are really hard to depress. P I A

Yea, foil for messy greasy frying only. I would take it down immediately after cooking. I always keep blue painters tape around. It would be perfect for the foil.
Got it on the icicles. Mine vents directly out as well. But here we don't get bad winter weather. Fingers crossed.
Yes, my electric had knobs and a push panel. Push for timers and things like that. That range was at least 30 years old. My daughter wants it.

Even if it was only on the back splash during cooking?

Exactly. I did not even consider leaving it up? I also do not think the OP meant that either?

Even if it was only on the back splash during cooking?

I don't see me taping sheets of foil to a backsplash every time I want to cook something that may splatter. Then taking them off and tossing them. Not to mention the huge waste of foil. I keep a bottle of Windex and paper towels handy.

RCJoe. I have propane as well. Had to have it installed. Our propane provider has us on an "as needed" account.
They will not come here unless I call them. They told me since I am only using a gas range my tank (100lbs) would last me very long and to come out each month was a waste of time and a waste of my money.
I am to call at about 30% remaining gas.

I have the horizontal tank outside and it looks bigger than in your picture. I think they said mine was 120lbs but it would only hold 100lbs.

This company charged me under $2 a gallon and stood by that quoted price well into the fall. $253 total for tank, gas and 1 years rental.
I considered buying my own tank, but that would have taken a long time to start paying for itself. And since this company has such great gas prices, I have zero issues about shopping for gas.
I was quoted by a couple propane companies at $4 a gallon.

I don't see me taping sheets of foil to a backsplash every time I want to cook something that may splatter. Then taking them off and tossing them. Not to mention the huge waste of foil. I keep a bottle of Windex and paper towels handy.

I agree somewhat. If I do put it up, it will be folded and stored inside the oven.
But that has drawbacks as I will not remember its in there.
If you remember I had a sourdough starter that I ruined because I forgot I had stored it in the oven.
So only time will tell Andy. We have the new range and we have a new fridge. I hope both work as well as the ones we had before.
Like the fridge as an example.
It seems like a pain to me with freezer on bottom. Its much like my chest freezer that I detest.
But my wife wanted that style and she got it.

I agree somewhat. If I do put it up, it will be folded and stored inside the oven.
But that has drawbacks as I will not remember its in there.
If you remember I had a sourdough starter that I ruined because I forgot I had stored it in the oven.
So only time will tell Andy. We have the new range and we have a new fridge. I hope both work as well as the ones we had before.
Like the fridge as an example.
It seems like a pain to me with freezer on bottom. Its much like my chest freezer that I detest.
But my wife wanted that style and she got it.

It always takes some adjusting. We got a bottom freezer/french door fridge. I don't like it at all. My freezer is an upright.

Disposable foil liners that are inserted under the grates are available at WalMart, and other stores. They come in circles, or squares. It makes cleanup much easier as they catch spills, and spatters. Also, incest in a splatter screen for the top of your pans. Then you don't have to worry about splatters..Here's a link for splatter screens:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainles...R8BAZVA6J3X&psc=1&refRID=EEZ6AWYA9R8BAZVA6J3X

It's justo e of many available on line.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

it is not an advertisement on my part, just trying to help a fellow DC member keep his/her stove clean, but it is advertisement. I get nothing from it.

https://stoveguard.com/products/the...MIoLik3IuZ7QIVJeeGCh2SrweCEAQYASABEgJtjfD_BwE

Thanks Charlie. We discussed this earlier in this thread. I plan to buy it from LG. $49 bad reviews and all.

Disposable foil liners that are inserted under the grates are available at WalMart, and other stores. They come in circles, or squares. It makes cleanup much easier as they catch spills, and spatters. Also, incest in a splatter screen for the top of your pans. Then you don't have to worry about splatters..Here's a link for splatter screens:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainles...R8BAZVA6J3X&psc=1&refRID=EEZ6AWYA9R8BAZVA6J3X

It's justo e of many available on line.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief. I have three of them and they do not completely stop spatter. They help only. Besides they are just one more item to wash. The reason I have to look for them.....lol
But since you bring it up, I will find the ones we have and start using them.
Any help is welcome.

Nice range Frank. I did not get the wifi on mine. But convection bake seemed important? And I am not certain getting the "slide in" style was a good idea. It looks good, but the pans that are used in the back have no place to distribute grease and spatter except on the backsplash.
Not sure yet. I don't bake cookies.
I wonder if I should use convection for the turkey coming up?

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions that I will take to heart.
I have never had a gas stove so I must be patient in the words of my wonderful wife.
Just the other day I was bragging about my wife at my SIL's house.
Someone there I guess got tired of hearing it and mentioned that "we should get a room". It was actually funny? I think?

...Just the other day I was bragging about my wife at my SIL's house.
Someone there I guess got tired of hearing it and mentioned that "we should get a room". It was actually funny? I think?

Don't you already have a room? Granted, it has a stove in it, but what the heck.

...I will use a piece of foil from now on. I have a giant roll of foil so it will be easy...

Instead of using foil to keep the backsplash clean, how about an oven liner? You could use four magnets, one in each corner, to hold it in place. When you're done cooking, you can lay the sheet on the counter or table, clean it off, and put it away until you need it again.

Oh, and that is one gorgeous stove! Have fun with your new toy.

Don't you already have a room? Granted, it has a stove in it, but what the heck.

:LOL:

Instead of using foil to keep the backsplash clean, how about an oven liner? You could use four magnets, one in each corner, to hold it in place. When you're done cooking, you can lay the sheet on the counter or table, clean it off, and put it away until you need it again.

Oh, and that is one gorgeous stove! Have fun with your new toy.

Drum roll.........
Excellent suggestion Goddess. I have two oven liners and the range instructions say to never line the bottom of the oven.
So, I will use them as you suggested. Wow great idea as the liner has some structure to it.
But Stainless steel is not magnetic. Of course magnets may work as I do not expect the steel to be very pure.
Thanks

...But Stainless steel is not magnetic. Of course magnets may work as I do not expect the steel to be very pure.
Thanks

RB, some SS is magnetic and some is not. Depends on the formula. It's worth it to get the SS panel for magnetism.

Since we're all showing off our new ranges, here are my new appliances. I LOVE them. I'm learning to use gas. And I can use my copper pans again. The last couple years I had induction, and I couldn't use my good copper.

The middle drawer in the fridge can be set to be either additional fridge space or freezer space, as your needs change.

There are 6 burners on the stove, but I keep the griddle over the center 2.

Attachments

• 20201128_203321.jpg
    20201128_203321.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20201128_203231.jpg
    20201128_203231.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 67
Looks great, Silversage! I would definitely miss those copper pans; you should enjoy getting them back. That's nice, having those 6 burners, though I will say, it's probably only been a dozen or less times I've had them all on at once, in all these years (several of the times when making corn tortillas). And that griddle will keep that area clean, from splatter.

I liked those 3 door fridges, but, unfortunately, I couldn't find one that fit. Maybe next time...

Last edited:
I have been wondering about the griddles in the middle. Don't they get in the way when you put a really big pot on the stove, say a pressure cooker or water bath canner?

TL A friend has something like that, of a different brand, and she just removes the griddle, and replaces the grates, the few times she needs to.

Back
Top Bottom