New Range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The griddle swaps out for grates.

Attachments

• 9FE4477F-AB4F-4A16-AB38-C4BDAF97F7BB.jpg
    9FE4477F-AB4F-4A16-AB38-C4BDAF97F7BB.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 101
Since we're all showing off our new ranges, here are my new appliances. I LOVE them. I'm learning to use gas. And I can use my copper pans again. The last couple years I had induction, and I couldn't use my good copper.

The middle drawer in the fridge can be set to be either additional fridge space or freezer space, as your needs change.

There are 6 burners on the stove, but I keep the griddle over the center 2.

looks great

It looks gorgeous! I really like cooking with gas over electric. My grandmother always had electric though and did not suffer for it. When I was about 11, my grandmother asked me why I kept whining that she did not have a gas stove. I told her based on my culinary needs, "On Mom's gas stove, I can stick a hot dog on a fork and toast it over the flame."

That pretty much ended my cooking on gas for a few years. :LOL:

The griddle swaps out for grates.
Your stove looks an awful lot like mine. LG? I have the LSG4513ST.
I see the knob position is at 90° where mine is on on 45° angle. Mine get grease on them each time I use the fronts burners.
Also I see the vent that runs along the back near the tile. That thing lets a lot of hot air out into the room. Its fine now, but when summer comes it will not be fine. I do have a range hood vented to the outside. The electric vented, but not like this. We kept a kettle of water over the the vent.
I don't have the double oven.

In addition the stove makes a whooshing sound when I use the oven. Not real loud, but its high pitched to some degree. Makes it unmistakable. Convection or not. So I hear its normal from LG and not normal from others. But I have not activated a service record yet. I have tried calling the local store and he has not called me back. 2 weeks as of today. So I must get on the ball.
So I assume I will have to deal with LG?
Also I made a mistake by not getting the easy slide oven rack/racks. It was difficult to pull/slide out the turkey at Thanksgiving.
I did buy the $50 Stoveguard top protector. Jury out on this purchase.

Now I'm gonna be fair. I have never had a gas stove. So maybe the expectations were to high?
I do like how it cooks.

Edit: I forgot. When I cook it smells like gas a little? A sweet smell. Not unpleasant at all. Maybe its because its new?
I have a gas alarm plugged in right next to the stove. Its in a floor receptacle. It has not alarmed.

Last edited:
Also I made a mistake by not getting the easy slide oven rack/racks. It was difficult to pull/slide out the turkey at Thanksgiving.

Edit: I forgot. When I cook it smells like gas a little? A sweet smell. Not unpleasant at all. Maybe its because its new?

I got one rack with easy slide - was jealous of the ones in the ATK ovens, LOL - my mistake - although I like the slide "most" times - I don't like the extra space you lose on the sides. I've often been able to put two dishes on one rack but now I have to choose carefully which ones.

You will sometimes get a whiff of a little gas when you first turn on your oven. The gas is the sweet smell you're noticing. Gas is oderless so they perfume it so you know when you have a leak.
Another time you might smell the gas is when your tank gets very low and can't keep up the pressure. Here, our normal levels are min. 30%, max 75-80% (expansion in summer)

Someone needs to remind me why I wanted gas. I am constantly cleaning this thing. With my smooth top electric, I wiped it clean, popped off the knobs to wash, and I was done. My induction was even easier, since it didn't have any knobs. Now I have the gas range I always thought I wanted, and I spend about 2 hours every weekend cleaning it. Am I being obsessive? Or does anyone else find it a pita.

1. Clean and shine the stainless base. Tough to do without scratching it.
2. Clean the cast aluminum diffusers. Hard to clean tiny crevices.
3. Clean the black flame spreaders. Usually requires oven cleaner.
4. Clean the silicone Stove Guard that was supposed to make this all easy.
5. Clean the cast iron grids. These are usually greasy.
6. Clean and oil the cast iron griddle.
7. Remove knobs and clean front panel.
8. Clean and replace knobs.
9. Remove and clean gap fillers.

All this is before I get to wipe down the front and clean the ovens if necessary.

Attachments

• 20210110_123558.jpg
    20210110_123558.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210110_123612.jpg
    20210110_123612.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210110_123650.jpg
    20210110_123650.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210110_123729.jpg
    20210110_123729.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210110_123933.jpg
    20210110_123933.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210110_124129.jpg
    20210110_124129.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210110_124517.jpg
    20210110_124517.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210110_124521.jpg
    20210110_124521.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210110_125449.jpg
    20210110_125449.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 66
It has been decades since I had a gas stove. I don't remember having to do THAT MUCH cleaning. Okay, #1 I'm not that picky. #2 I think the older stoves that were plainer didn't have as many places to clean. Or, maybe they just weren't as accessible, so they got ignored.

I have now been convinced to enjoy using electric.

I've had to use both electric and gas. I personally prefer gas stoves. One reason is they are good for all kinds of pots and pans. I would be hesitant to use cast iron (which I love) with a glass-topped electric stove. I also find that I can adjust the heat a bit quicker with gas than I do with electric. Plus, I cannot stick a hotdog on a fork and toast it over electric. ;)

Last of all - when the power is out, gas still operates. :)

So, Silversage, do you have to keep that looking new forever? And your signature made me think about a possible problem - how often does dog hair get on it? :LOL::ROFLMAO: Seriously though, didn't you get the gas for the function? Nothing cooks like gas, and it's great that home ranges are available now with such high output burners. And Kathleen's mention of toasting a hot dog over a flame made me think of something that I do all the time - toast corn tortillas over an open flame, to re-heat them. Just heated up two for lunch!

My stovetop is black enamel, and is still shiny after 37 years. I'll admit, in the early days, I was a little more obsessive about cleaning mine, but I realized, that area over my pilot lights was not getting cleaned every time! You don't have that problem, fortunately. Once a year I used to take the three sections outside, spray them down with oven cleaner, and they would look brand new again. Haven't done that for a few years, but they are still shinier than many glass surfaces I see, that are much, much newer.
Still shiny after 37 years of abuse! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I wipe down the top even after boiling water as it shows. It would show even on a black top - which I would have preferred, only so as the dark stains that form around the rings show less.

But other than that I don't 'clean' my stove top. Yes, it has dark burn rings around them. But don't care! Clean enough to cook on. Never found a difference in taste, so why work yourself up over it.
Cast iron grids are greasy to touch? sometimes I wipe them down, so then don't touch them! Maybe once a year I will scrub them down.

Matter of fact I don't think I've ever even cleaned this particular oven other than a wipe down for spills.

ps, why are your cast aluminum diffusers getting dirty like that? Only one of mine has ever gotten so dirty so as to be almost impossible to clean and that was when I had a huge spill over.

Maybe I'd insist upon it being cleaned if I had 5 maids hanging around with nothing to do. But I'd rather cook than clean.

Last edited:
My next Range will be Dual Fuel.
Gas cooktop and Electric-Convection Oven please.

I love use Natural Gas, but not for baking and broiling. :glare:

Oh, and I don't think I want another GE product either.

That's just me ...
What is the issue with baking and broiling with natural gas? I've been using gas stoves and ovens for over 30 years and they work great.

I also like the control I have over increasing and lowering the heat on the stovetop.

We too have learned a lot about keeping our stove top clean.
We learned its 100 times harder than electric.
I hate to say it, but I am having buyers remorse.

Mine is black, so it doesn't show as much lol
I am not the world's best housekeeper, so I might do all that once a month or so.
SO...I'm obsessive!

Nice Silversage!

My next Range will be Dual Fuel.

Oh, and I don't think I want another GE product either.

That's just me ...

This one is Dual Fuel... And a GE Cafe. I've always had good luck with GE. My KitchenAid, on the other hand, was a nightmare.

So, Silversage, do you have to keep that looking new forever? And your signature made me think about a possible problem - how often does dog hair get on it? :LOL::ROFLMAO: Seriously though, didn't you get the gas for the function? Nothing cooks like gas, and it's great that home ranges are available now with such high output burners. And Kathleen's mention of toasting a hot dog over a flame made me think of something that I do all the time - toast corn tortillas over an open flame, to re-heat them. Just heated up two for lunch!

Dog hair? I thought a solution to cleaning it would be to set the dogs on the counter, and let them lick it clean! Then I can use the dust buster to pick up the hair left behind.

With tax, it cost me nearly $4,000. I want it to look pretty. Real pretty. Forever. AND I want the functionality.

Kathleen is right, I can use my copper pots, the wok, cast iron, and grill a hot dog or a marshmallow. I'm going to try the tortilla thing.

But other than that I don't 'clean' my stove top. Yes, it has dark burn rings around them. But don't care! Clean enough to cook on. Never found a difference in taste, so why work yourself up over it.
Cast iron grids are greasy to touch? sometimes I wipe them down, so then don't touch them! Maybe once a year I will scrub them down.

Matter of fact I don't think I've ever even cleaned this particular oven other than a wipe down for spills.

My home is "open floorplan'. My kitchen is almost in the living room. They are only separated by a countertop. If I don't keep it clean, everyone that comes over will see my dirty stove.

What is the issue with baking and broiling with natural gas? I've been using gas stoves and ovens for over 30 years and they work great.

For those not use to baking with gas, there is a decided difference to the humidity and temperature fluctuations. It can be a learning curve as you adjust to it. I looked into it before I went with the dual fuel. Apparently, a solution is to keep a pizza stone in the bottom of the oven to help regulate the fluctuations. (I don't know this from experience, only from research. YMMV)

We too have learned a lot about keeping our stove top clean.
We learned its 100 times harder than electric.
I hate to say it, but I am having buyers remorse.

Roll Bones - Exactly!

SilverSage, my last house was an open concept also, my kitchen counter was a curve - kitchen on inside curve - livingroom-diningroom on the outside curve. Stove at one end - sink at the other end. It was a marvelous set-up (of course, I designed it myself -blush-) I loved it, so did visitors, and as a boarding barn there were constant visitors passing thru.

That stove did have a black top. The vent rose up out of the counter, vented down into the basement and out of the house. I so miss that house, sigh, never to be had again... life goes on.

You can keep the majority of it clean, just don't knock yourself out doing it. The only thing you might want to keep up with is the brown icky right around the edges of the burner you use the most (especially for frying). There are only two burners that most people use constantly. The rest of the stove you can leave for once a month or 6 weeks.

I also use SOS pads - even on the black enameled tops and the stainless - I was amazed there was no major scratching at all! I thought of all the constant warnings not to use steel wool on a mirad of things :mad:. Not pristine but certainly not unsightly! Sometimes I run out of the pads but I have 0000 Super fine steel wool I just saturate with dish soap. Does the job.

If it really bothers you just strategically place a pot over the dirty one. Doesn't have to be on.;)

I also use SOS pads - even on the black enameled tops and the stainless - I was amazed there was no major scratching at all! I thought of all the constant warnings not to use steel wool on a mirad of things :mad:. Not pristine but certainly not unsightly! Sometimes I run out of the pads but I have 0000 Super fine steel wool I just saturate with dish soap. Does the job.

If it really bothers you just strategically place a pot over the dirty one. Doesn't have to be on.;)
SOS pads! Great idea!

That reminds me that I needed a service call for my stovetop once. I thought the grease buildup around the burners was some sort of failure of the enamel, so I was a bit embarrassed when the repairman used a pocket knife to show me that it could be cleaned off [emoji38]

I think I am going to give up on cleaning the grades on my stove, i just spent 2-3 hours cleaning them, they were as shiny as new. 2 days later they are as bad as they were before.\

Back
Top Bottom