"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Cook

New range - double or single oven

My wife and I are in the market for a new oven/stove range, all gas. She wants a double oven and I am very hesitant about it.

- Heat bleed between ovens
- Lack of space could make baking more challenging due to lack of flexibility of rack position
- Feels like an all year compromise with once a year upside

I love baking so something that will complicate baking will be a tough sell for me. What is your experience with counter height double ovens?

kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

While I have no direct experience, the one issue I've noticed is that neither oven is "full-sized". Not sure if it's an issue for you but a smaller double oven may not be able to fit a Thanksgiving turkey on a rack in a roasting pan.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Executive Chef

We just bought a new stove and looked at the double ovens. Some of them are convertible to a full size oven. But each oven has limitations because of that. Also, you have to have a place for the divider when not in use. We ended up just getting a single oven, but we also have a decent sized countertop oven as well if we happen to need a second oven.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

My father in law's kitchen has a double oven - a short one on top and a full-size one below. The one on top is nice for baking a tray of cookies or rolls, or broiling meat. The other holds a whole turkey easily, but you have to lean way down to put things in and take them out, so that might be an issue.

Each can be set to a different temperature; I never noticed any bleed-through of the temperatures. Ovens these days are very well insulated.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Have a GE dual oven electric stove. Glass top. Smaller top oven full size bottom over. No problem to put a 25 Lb turkey in the lower oven. Like the five burner top. Two front burners have a large or small setting for the pot diameter. Had it about 12 years now. We were just talking that it is so handy we would never go back to a single oven even if the price was much higher.
oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven