New Rival Crock Pot Always Boils!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalentam

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I recently bought a new Rival crock pot at Sears (had a gift certificate). It is a big one, for me anyway. It is the 6 qt. oval shaped one called, of all things... the Smart Pot! :LOL: I am really thinking something is wrong with it because even when I set it on low for either 8 or 10 hours, it will always boil whatever is in there and I have to watch it closely so it dont way overcook stuff (kind of defeats the purpose of a crock pot, imho). Now, I've only had one other crockpot in my life, one I got as a wedding gift that I used for years but I never recalled that boiling stuff, at least on low.

Am I nuts or should I contact Rival? Of course, I didnt use it enough when it was brand new to actually realize how bad it is, so it would be well out of it's warranty time I am sure. :ermm: I thought maybe it just did it because I rarely filled it all the way up but I am finding out today that is not the case, as it boils away at a pot full of chili I am cooking for hubby for opening day of deer season tomorrow :mad:

Just curious if anyone else has a similiar experience with this particular crock pot.

Thanks,
Tammy

Nope you are not nuts. Slow cookers use a higher temperature these days than they used to. Does yours also have a "warm" setting and not just high and low? If so, try that setting as it should be lower than the low setting and maybe will not boil.

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing, Tammy!

Mine was a gift, too, and I stupidly threw away my good old crockpot that never gave me any trouble, other than the fact that I'd keep trying to overfill it.

Now I have to BE HOME to use this new crock. Really annoying.

Lee

Thanks, GB & Lee.

Wow! I didnt expect responses so fast! I am glad to know it is not just me. Ok, so then why are slow cookers using a higher temperature these days? I am tempted to get my old one back out (Gosh, I dont think hubby threw out!!! I better find out!) And it is missing the knob on the front and I had to use a pair of pliers to turn it! lol

It does have a "warm" setting, I have used it a time or two yet in the instructions it warns against using it too long for food safety reasons I think was the jest of it, I assume because it was lower than what food should be kept at... so that made me leary as well.

dalentam said:
It does have a "warm" setting, I have used it a time or two yet in the instructions it warns against using it too long for food safety reasons I think was the jest of it, I assume because it was lower than what food should be kept at... so that made me leary as well.
That is basically the reason the newer slow cookers cook at a higher temp. The older ones cooked at a lower temp which could have been below a safe temp for food to be held at. I do not know what temps they were all set at so I do not know if this was just litigious fears or if the fear was real, but that was the reason for the change in any event.

What I would recommend is putting some water in yours and putting it on the warm setting for a few hours, then take the temp of the water. As long as it is higher than 140F then you can use that setting without fear.

The old original crockpots (no temp settings - plug it in to turn it on and unplug it to turn it off) ranged between 180-200 F. The newer models with Low-High settings were 200-F (low) and 300-F (high). The latest generation of variable temp pots (sometimes called multi-cookers) have more temperature ranges ... the booklet that came with your pot should give you the temp ranges for the various setting if they are not marked in degrees on the dial. Depending on make and model these can range from 145-F (WARM) up to 350-F, or more, on HIGH.

You can test the lower temps (warm and low) by filling it 2/3 full of water and checking the temp after 2-hours. Since water boils off at 212-F, it's going to be hard to test the pot a higher temps - since the water temp will not exceed it's vapor point of 212-F.

FYI: there have been problems with some models getting too hot.

I have an older 5.5 qt Smart Pot that acutally holds less than 5 qt. that seemed to cook faster than our older CPs when it was new but as it got older that problem has dissapaerd.

It's one that has a one piece pyrex lid and knob. The newer ones have a metal knob.

Made a pot of 15 bean soup today and after 4 hr on hi some of the beans were still mealy but then again not all beans cook at the same rate.

Last edited:
My landlord has also been having trouble with his Rival unit as well!! He told me this some time ago during the summer.

Half the time it doesn't work properly and sometimes cooks a bit too fast. He was doing a pot roast in it. The electronic control acts sporatically. So you're not alone, Dalentam.

And BTW, I did not get rid of my old one!! I've kept it and it has been very faithful to me since I bought it in the late '70s!!! At times, I make Boston Baked Beans in it for the Fourth of July when the oven is tied up doing babyback ribs.

I'm so glad that I kept it all this time!!!

Last edited:
Mine also cooks at too high of a temperature. I got rid of my "old faithful" after I got this one : - ( I keep looking for an old one at yardsales and consignment shops

Thrift shops, you mean?

Sometimes you can find "one-of-a-kind" things in there that you might not be able to find elsewhere!

I found a lot of things that way, such as the old square Corningware cookware with the blue flowery design on it!! Corning doesn't make that anymore.

I have a Rival programmable. It has never boiled. Yes the newer cookers get hotter, but, it depends on what you put in, how much time you cook and if there is fat in the recipe. Fat will increase the heat and cook faster.

Suggestions, sear meat first, and trim fat, use less liquid, start with a low setting & don't put frozen foods in the pot (and set on high). Ingredients should be at room temp and very little liquids.

Last edited:
I had the exact same thing happen to me with the crockpot running too hot. I gave my old Rival away, not testing out my new Rival crockpot, and boy did I regret it. All the recipes I used to do were burning. So I did a lot of research before I replaced my new one, and the Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6 qt oval does not run hot. My tried-and-true recipes work the way they are supposed to. I complained by email to Rival and I got a response that basically told me that it was MY fault. I just don't think Rival wants to admit that they've made a mistake. Frankly, I think they all should be recalled! :mad: I've heard the same thing that they've changed the temp for food safety reasons, but I have never had a problem with the old way. Other message boards that I go on are saying the same thing, and many have caught on that the Hamilton Beach crocks don't run too hot. I have wasted money on two Rival cps in the last 12 months, which I ended up giving to Goodwill, and I will never buy one again, unless I hear they've changed it.

A word to the wise;

If you plan to buy a new Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker and you have an older Rival model that still works fine, please DO NOT get rid of your old one until you've thoroughly tested the new one to make sure that it functions properly and know that it will!!

Otherwise, you might regret it. I'm keeping my old one and I'm not replacing it as long as it works fine, which it does!!!

Last edited:
I'm glad to read this thread...our Rival is the same. Overcooks everything, cooks stuff on LOW as fast or faster than the recipes designed for HIGH, burns easily, etc.

The point of us having the CP was that we could leave it for several hours. This just isn't an option anymore, which means my gf never has dinner for me when I get home anymore :( :LOL:

These stories certainly add up with what my sister told me. She put roast in her new crockpot and set it on low for 5 hours. When she came back after 2 hours, it was burned except for a small amount on the inside. She was contacting the manufacturer. The selling point of a crockpot is that it doesn't have to be babysat and it seems many of the new ones aren't safe to leave at all.

I second Corey123's advice, keep your old crock-pot until you're sure the new one performs to your satisfaction.

I still have my original 5-quart one I purchased in the early '70s. It still looks and works as good as new and I can live with the harvest gold outer pot color. A few years ago a local senior citizens center had a yard sale and I bought another one just like it ('cept it was avocado green) for $2. I'm glad I have both of them. I've not found a need to replace either of them.

Last edited:
Wow, I was just talking to my Mom about this yesterday. I too have a Rival CP which boils over all the time. If I make anything in it, I feel like I have to be at home all day to keep an eye on it. It's really annoying and I just stopped using it. The reason I was talking to my Mom about it is because she asked what I'd like for Christmas and I mentioned to her the problem I was having and maybe a new one would be a good gift.
Are there any new CP that anyone recommends?

Katie E said:
I second Corey123's advice, keep your old crock-pot until you're sure the new one performs to your satisfaction.

I still have my original 5-quart one I purchased in the early '70s. It still looks and works as good as new and I can live with the harvest gold outer pot color. A few years ago a local senior citizens center had a yard sale and I bought another one just like it ('cept it was avocado green) for $2. I'm glad I have both of them. I've not found a need to replace either of them.

Thank you, Katie!!

Mine is the bown-spotted beige color, and it has done so very welll by me for many, many years, so I'm NOT trading it off for any of those new-fangled ones that now have to be babysat with to keep food from burning!!

Yes Licia, the selling idea or point behind getting a Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker IS to be able to leave the unit home alone for several hours so that it supposedly doesn't have to be babysat with for your soups, stews, roasts and veggies to slowly cook so that when you come home, you'd have a hot meal waiting for you.

I imagine that Rival, like most other co's have gone by the wayside and have sacrifised quality over quantity!! The newest units seem to have all gone sour!!!:ohmy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom