New to an electric range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well said!! I can't imagine cast iron on an electric stove.:huh:

As I type this, I have beans slow cooking in a cast iron Dutch oven on my electric cooktop. For something like simmering, the cast iron works well to keep an even temperature as the burners cycle on and off.

If I need the ability to quickly adjust temperature, I use cookware better suited to that, like Aluminum. But, I would do that with gas, too.

CD

My gas stove came with a "Precise Simmer" burner. I always simmer on the big front burner because I can control the heat perfectly.

If/when I return to cooking with gas, I want a cooktop with that feature. My previous gas cooktops had a hard time with low simmering.

CD

I've read a number of articles where the measured temperature of electric ovens fluctuates over a range, 20 - 30 degrees F if I remember correctly.

I've heard that, too. But, mine seems to be pretty stabile. I check it from time-to-time with an oven thermometer.

CD

...I've read a number of articles where the measured temperature of electric ovens fluctuates over a range, 20 - 30 degrees F if I remember correctly.

That's common. The oven burner cycles on and off to maintain the set temp. When the temp drops below the set temp by a certain amount, the burner comes on to raise the temp. It shuts off at the set temp but carry over heating will cause the temp to overshoot the set temp by a bit. This happens repeatedly while the oven is on.

It happens with gas and electric ovens and has forever.

I'm not sure if it's my pans or my stove, but I suspect it's the stove. I have electric and when things in the pot start to boil, it always starts on one side first and boils there while the other side just sits there. At that point, I rotate the pot, but it drives me nuts. The same thing happens when I cook something. My food will start burning on one side of the pan if I don't rotate it while the other side doesn't cook.

Eventually, the whole pan gets hot and then I can cook, but the uneven heating is still there. I was thinking of going out to buy a new coil one of these days and see what the problem really is.

Most electric stoves have a coil the pot sits on. One end is connected to the stove and the other end is the end of the coil. Electricity flows from one end to the other and gets up the end closest to the connection first. The end of the coil heats up last.

If you turn a burner on high and watch it heat up, you will see the heating pattern.

I'm not sure if it's my pans or my stove, but I suspect it's the stove. I have electric and when things in the pot start to boil, it always starts on one side first and boils there while the other side just sits there. At that point, I rotate the pot, but it drives me nuts. The same thing happens when I cook something. My food will start burning on one side of the pan if I don't rotate it while the other side doesn't cook.

Eventually, the whole pan gets hot and then I can cook, but the uneven heating is still there. I was thinking of going out to buy a new coil one of these days and see what the problem really is.

On my front small burner, one side of my coils weren't heating up. So I turned the burner on high. Only one side was bright red. The coils were in the process of burning out. I need a new coil.

As I type this, I have beans slow cooking in a cast iron Dutch oven on my electric cooktop. For something like simmering, the cast iron works well to keep an even temperature as the burners cycle on and off.

If I need the ability to quickly adjust temperature, I use cookware better suited to that, like Aluminum. But, I would do that with gas, too.

CD

Keep in mind the OP said he cooked with cast iron. Other than something like a dutch oven for slow cooking, a CI skillet on an electric cook top would not be the best choice. It's best he buy new cookware for an electric range.

Last edited:
He is not cooking on a glass top. Only on exposed coils. I had a 12" CI in Washington State. I had no problem using an electric stove. Just as stated previously, you have to wait for not only the coils to heat up, but also the cast iron pan. It is all a matter of timing. dalemcginnis just has to be patient during the learning process.

Keep in mind the OP said he cooked with cast iron. Other than something like a dutch oven for slow cooking, a CI skillet on an electric cook top would not be the best choice. It's best he buy new cookware for an electric range.

He stated that his "fry pans" are cast iron. I think it is safe to assume that not all his pans are cast iron. He also stated that the stove has "coils." This makes it safe for the cast iron skillets. He doesn't have an induction or glass top. You don't see coils on a glass top stove.

My cast iron works on glass top and dads works for inductions. I have no problem at all and one of the pan I use is so old it started it life on a woodburner, it still goes strong.

Most electric stoves have a coil the pot sits on. One end is connected to the stove and the other end is the end of the coil. Electricity flows from one end to the other and gets up the end closest to the connection first. The end of the coil heats up last.

If you turn a burner on high and watch it heat up, you will see the heating pattern.
Put a little water in a thin bottom pan, and you can see the see the heating pattern in bubbles as it starts to simmer. I once had a pan where you could clearly see the spiral patterns of the coils.

Repeat the process with the pan you are having burning issues and you will get an idea as to how well the heat is being distributed. Not as good as one of those infrared cameras, though.

My cast iron works on glass top and dads works for inductions. I have no problem at all and one of the pan I use is so old it started it life on a woodburner, it still goes strong.

They are not actually "glass" tops. They are some kind of ceramic, and they are pretty tough. I also use CI on my ceramic cooktop, and after 17 years, no cracks or scratches.

I was nervous when I first started using mine, but I've been amazed at how durable it is.

I would still rather have gas, but durability, even with CI, is not a reason.

CD

It sounds like we are both saying the same thing, with different words. I love my cast iron, but it is not the right tool for every job, no matter what your cooktop is.

I use cast iron skillets on my electric cooktop often, when that is the right pan for what I am cooking. I assume the OP has more than just cast iron cookware, but maybe not. He didn't say.

CD

It sounds like we are both saying the same thing, with different words. I love my cast iron, but it is not the right tool for every job, no matter what your cooktop is.

I use cast iron skillets on my electric cooktop often, when that is the right pan for what I am cooking. If the OP only has cast iron skillets, he may want to diversify, but IMO, that is true regardless of cooktops -- possibly more so with electric -- but even with gas.

CD

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with any cookware on my ceramic stove, including CI, as long as you don't slide it around too much. I love that it's so easy to clean, no nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
I think we lost Dale (OP) in our ramblings. I haven't seen him post in a few pages.

If you are still with us, you will be able to turn out some equally good food on your electric range, but you are going to have to go through a bit of adaptation.

Pick out the useful tips from this thread, and dive in and cook. You'll figure it out. :chef:

CD

Back
Top Bottom