New to an electric range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've owned gas, electric, and ceramic cooktop stoves. I have to say I prefer gas over the electric models, but really, you get used to whatever you have available. Once, when my stove died unexpectedly, I had to improvise and use a gas grill to bake a cheesecake. You know what? It worked just fine.

That's true, Steve. If you do enough cooking on a stove, you learn to adjust to what it can do.

Kayelle, the same thing happens to me at home. :LOL: I can be talking to Himself, then find out he walked away to somewhere out of listening range. Then again, he walked away because he was already not in "listening" range. :glare: Love him, but he drives me nuts!

That's true, Steve. If you do enough cooking on a stove, you learn to adjust to what it can do.

Kayelle, the same thing happens to me at home. :LOL: I can be talking to Himself, then find out he walked away to somewhere out of listening range. Then again, he walked away because he was already not in "listening" range. :glare: Love him, but he drives me nuts!

I do that to Pirate all the time. He will be talking to me, and at the end when he gets no response, he finds me fast asleep.

The owner bought my leased condo a new cheap electric oven. It's ok, but the oven beeps that it's reached the cooking temp when my oven temp thermometer reads 30F less. Before I confirmed that, I wondered why everything seemed undercooked. :LOL:

I've read a lot of comments around the net about gas ovens not retaining heat well for doing the high temp, turn off oven method of cooking roasts.

Last edited:
The owner bought my leased condo a new cheap electric oven. It's ok, but the oven beeps that it's reached the cooking temp when my oven temp thermometer reads 30F less. Before I confirmed that, I wondered why everything seemed undercooked. :LOL:

I've read a lot of comments around the net about gas ovens not retaining heat well for doing the high temp, turn off oven method of cooking roasts.

Isn't that because they have to be vented? Mine vents a lot of heat from somewhere near the back of the range top.

Isn't that because they have to be vented? Mine vents a lot of heat from somewhere near the back of the range top.

All ovens vent. A lot of cooking sites with high heat roast recipes had gas oven owners leaving comments about how their roast came out undercooked. So many so, that the author of those sites included a workaround for gas oven owners. It may be older less expensive model gas ovens that don't retain oven heat as well. Today's state of the art gas ovens probably do fine for the high heat turn off oven roast method.

Last edited:
Our apartment has a small, cheaper than I like, stove... It took me about a month to get it regulated to work right.. It does just fine now that I understand its quirks...

It all depends on the stove.

I had gas for many years and my Jenn Air gas cooktop was the worst ever. It was impossible to control and took days to get a pot of water to boil.

I moved into the house I live in now 21 years ago and it has gas light fixtures from the 1800's in the basement still but no gas line to the house anymore.

So I have a 24 year old electric ceramic-top stove. It's HANDS DOWN the best cooktop Ive ever used (save pro equipment at cooking school).

I use cast iron on it very regularly. It works fine.

You can use any type of cookware on your electric stove. No need for anything new or different.

You'll just have to adjust to its quirks.

It all depends on the stove.

I had gas for many years and my Jenn Air gas cooktop was the worst ever. It was impossible to control and took days to get a pot of water to boil...

You're right, it does. My mom had a Jenn-Air for years and I loved using it when I visited. My sister got one when she renovated her kitchen at least 15 years ago; she also got a Jenn-Air and loves it, so when we renovated a decade ago, I got one, too.

You must have gotten a dud ;)

I've cooked on both and I have to agree, you get used to what you've got.

I'm just fine with my ceramic glass cooktop. The advantages that I've seen with my electric is perfect simmering with no scorching, very fast boiling and the kitchen stays cooler, I have a small closed in kitchen and gas would make it far too warm in that small space. I use cast iron on it all the time and it works well.

Once I learned the art of the shuffle it's pretty intuitive to use. I prefer electric convection for the oven.

Back
Top Bottom